Gun control

Users who are viewing this thread

The stuff about recoil is mostly jokes.
But some cartridges are less manageable than others when requiring accuracy and rate of fire over distance, depending on how much those are required.

The main problem with .40 S&W is that it seems to have much too heavy a load for its case capacity. 165 grain bullet and 350 m/s in a package as small as 10x21, is going to be overpressure, and thus have more recoil and wear down your firearms faster.

I for one, think that there is nothing wrong with .40 caliber. People should take the 10mm Auto case, load it to .40 S&W specs, and have an excellent low pressure pistol cartridge.

I think even a minor flesh wound from a bullet would leave most people writhing on the ground and unable to do much else, but I've never been shot. I'm just guessing that since it's very hot metal tearing into your body it must hurt a lot but maybe for someone like Chuck Norris it's only about as annoying as a bee sting.

Sir Saladin said:
I think even a minor flesh wound from a bullet would leave most people writhing on the ground and unable to do much else, but I've never been shot. I'm just guessing that since it's very hot metal tearing into your body it must hurt a lot but maybe for someone like Chuck Norris it's only about as annoying as a bee sting.

Indeed. But those who oppose legal defenders with guns are perhaps not akin to "most people."

Certainly Platt and Matix, the two suspects in the 1986 Miami FBI shootout depicted in the video above did not drop to the ground writing in pain and unable to do much else when shot. Well Platt anway.

William Matix: Smith & Wesson Model 3000 12-gauge shotgun, one round #6 shot fired. Killed after being shot six times.
    Michael Platt: Ruger Mini-14 .223 Remington with folding stock, at least 42 rounds fired, S&W M586 .357 Magnum revolver, three rounds fired, Dan Wesson .357 Magnum revolver, three rounds fired. Killed after being shot 12 times.

The same seems to be true of many shootouts where determined criminals seemed to have decided to fight to the death instead of face incarceration.

North Hollywood Shootout

I know there are more, but those are the ones I can readily locate.

Watching that show is an even dumber thing to do than inhaling spray paint to get high.

Cole Younger got shot many times before being arrested and survived, so everyone should go heeled with the biggest guns you can carry. It's just common sense, after all.

Sir Saladin said:
Watching that show is an even dumber thing to do than inhaling spray paint to get high.
As far as I'm concerned, the show doesn't even exist beyond a few funny clips on YouTube. Thanks for trying to call me a dumbass, though. I appreciate that. :roll:

Lord Brutus said:
Anthropoid said:
From a psychophysiological perspective, both the 'art' of shooting in a tactical context, and the experience of suffering gun shot wounds is rather fascinating. Any of you guys ever actually been in a gun fight or been shot?
If Vietnam counts, yes.

I'd say Vietnam definitely 'counts,' and thanks for your service to the country BTW.

Sir Saladin said:

Cole Younger got shot many times before being arrested and survived, so everyone should go heeled with the biggest guns you can carry. It's just common sense, after all.

True to a point. But as the "Idiots with Guns Fails" video up above there shows, there is a definite tradeoff as many of the biggest guns you can carry seem to do a better job of knocking the shooter over than they do of putting holes in your opponent.

Sir Saladin said:

Seemed like more a general observation than a comment on your intelligence...

Anthropoid said:
Obviously a gunshot wound is no laughing matter. However, the more I read and watch, the more I'm struck at how much the lethality, much less 'stopping power' of any specific gun shot wound seems to be largely a matter of luck. I must have browsed over reports and analyses of at least 20 or 25 'gun fight' incidents in which either cops or bad guys took at least 5 if not 10 or 15 shots before they finally konked out.

Yes, causing a person to be immediately mechanically incapacitated is often a lot harder than it seems. For more stuff that would kill a person yet still give them some time to run around for a bit here's this:

http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/bloody.php

Swadius 2.0 said:
Anthropoid said:
Obviously a gunshot wound is no laughing matter. However, the more I read and watch, the more I'm struck at how much the lethality, much less 'stopping power' of any specific gun shot wound seems to be largely a matter of luck. I must have browsed over reports and analyses of at least 20 or 25 'gun fight' incidents in which either cops or bad guys took at least 5 if not 10 or 15 shots before they finally konked out.

Yes, causing a person to be immediately mechanically incapacitated is often a lot harder than it seems. For more stuff that would kill a person yet still give them some time to run around for a bit here's this:

http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/bloody.php

Sheeze, its like Internet "debates."

Neither combatant would agree, however, and there they both remained, each transfixed upon the blade of the other until, due to extensive blood loss, his Lordship finally collapsed. In doing so, he withdrew his sword from the Duke's body and, staggering briefly, fell upon his weapon, breaking the blade in two. A moment later, the "victorious" Duke deliberately snapped his own blade and, with a sigh, fell dead upon the corpse of his adversary.

Thanks for sharing that article about the stab wound science Swadius.

But just so's we stay a bit edgy and controverial, here's one with a machine gun and a Ted Nugent 'soundtrack', plus an awesome New Hahmpshah "Live Free or Die" accent.

capture_001_09032014_231703.jpg

Back
Top Bottom