23rd (Royal Welch Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot

Users who are viewing this thread

23rd (Royal Welch Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot

Royal_Welch_Fusiliers.jpg

♦ Regimental History ♦
The Royal Welch Fusiliers was an infantry regiment of the British Army, part of the Prince of Wales' Division. It was founded in 1689 to oppose James II and the imminent war with France. The regiment was numbered as the 23rd Regiment of Foot, though it was one of the first regiments to be granted the honour of a fusilier title and so was known as The Welsh Regiment of Fusiliers from 1702. The "Royal" accolade was earned fighting in the War of the Spanish Succession in 1713.
It was one of the oldest regiments in the regular army, hence the archaic spelling of the word Welch instead of Welsh. In the Boer War and throughout the First World War, the army officially called the regiment "The Royal Welsh Fusiliers" but the archaic "Welch" was officially restored to the regiment's title in 1920 under Army Order No.56. During those decades, the regiment itself unofficially used the "Welch" form. The regiment was amalgamated with the Royal Regiment of Wales (RRW) on 1 March 2006, to become 1st Battalion, The Royal Welsh (RRW becoming the 2nd Bn).

The 23rd Regiment of Foot was raised by Lord Herbert of Chirbury on March 16th 1689.

During the Napoleonic Wars, the Royal Welch Fusiliers first saw action in 1801 when they led a party landing at Aboukir Bay in Egypt. Fixing bayonets the troops charged the French, which a contemporary writer describes: “ decided the victory and established a footing on the shores of Egypt…circumstances of glory never surpassed in the military annals of the world”.

In 1809 the second battalion battled over the snow covered mountains to Corunna in Northern Spain. Here it formed the rearguard as the British army evacuated the town- the last to leave the town was Captain Thomas Lloyd Fletcher from the Royal Welch Fusiliers and his corporal who locked the postern gate to delay the advance of the French. The keys were taken back to Wales and are now at the Regimental museum in Caernarfon.

In 1810, the first battalion arrived in the peninsula from Nova Scotia, and were brigaded with the Royal Fusiliers, as part of Cole’s Division .On 16th May 1811 the Battle of Albuera took place. The French took the important high ground and fought off two counter-attacks by the British. Cole’s Division was brought up for one final attack and were met with a fearsome volley- Napier describes it “the fuzileer battalions, struck by the iron tempest, reeled and staggered like sinking ships-but suddenly and sternly recovering they closed on their terrible enemies, and then was seen with what strength and majesty the British soldier fights…Nothing could stop that astonishing infantry…their dreadful volleys swept away the head of every formation”.

The 23rd was also at Waterloo (1815) where the Regiment lost its’ Commanding Officer Colonel Sir Henry Walton-Ellis during the final rout of the Imperial Guard.

Soldiers of this regiment were distinguishable by the unique feature of the "flash", consisting of five overlapping black silk ribbons (seven inches long for soldiers and nine inches long for officers) on the back of the uniform jacket at neck level.[1] This is a legacy of the days when it was normal for soldiers to wear pigtails. In 1808, this practice was discontinued, but the RWF were serving in Nova Scotia[2] when the order to discontinue the use of the flash was issued they were at sea and didn't receive the order. Upon their return at an inspection they were cited for having improper hair. They decided to retain the ribbons with which the pigtail was tied as a declaration against over regulation, and were granted this special concession by the King. The Army Council attempted to remove the flash during the First World War citing the grounds that it would help the Germans identify which unit was facing them. As Fusilier Robert Graves reported, "the regiment retorted by inquiring on what occasion since the retreat from Corunna, when the regiment was the last to leave Spain, with the keys of the town postern in the pocket of one of its officers, had any of His Majesty's enemies seen the back of a Royal Welch Fusilier?," and the matter remained "in abeyance throughout the war."[3]

As a fusilier regiment, the RWF wore a hackle, which consisted of a plume of white feathers mounted behind the cap-badge of the modern beret. The full dress of the Royal Welch Fusiliers, as worn by the entire regiment until 1914, included a racoon-skin hat (bearskin for officers) with a white hackle and a scarlet tunic with the dark blue facings of a Royal regiment. This uniform continued to be worn by the RWF's Corps of Drums and the Regimental Pioneers until the merger of 2006.

♦ Roster ♦
Senior Officers
Colonel: Marauder
Lieutenant Colonel:RayRay
Major:CherryPower

Junior Officers
Captain: Jacob
Lieutenant: Livernuts
Ensign:

Non Commissioned Officers (NCOs)
Sergeant Major:
Colour Sergeant: DoomMarineGuy
Sergeant:NightX
Corporal:
Corporal:
Lance Corporal: Jackmuih
Lance Corporal: Peter

Enlisted:
Fus: Blade
Pvt: Grounded4Life
Pvt: Dathen
Pvt: Clayton
Pvt: Black-Hawk
Pvt: Andarillh0
Pvt: Crumpets
Pvt: Christmas
Pvt: Xsword
Pvt: Jneff10
Pvt: Knight
Pvt: Hamiler
Rec: Blood-Shed
Rec: Darkblade
Rec: Pineapple
Rec: Shiep
Rec: Glendon
Rec: Robert(o)
Rec: Blood-Shed
Rec:Chinese-EDB
Rec: Jdunny888
Rec: Baus
Rec: ShaeBoy3
Dip****: Norman

♦ Training ♦
Server Details: 23rd_Royal_server
Teamspeak 3 Details:
gallium.typefrag.com:24165
Training will be at the following times:

Sundays 8:00 Est

♦ Ranks and Awards ♦
Ranks

Senior Officers
Colonel[Col]
Lieutenant Colonel[LtCol]
Major[Maj]

Junior Officers
Captain[Capt]
Lieutenant[Lt]
Ensign:[Ens]

Non Commissioned Officers (NCOs)
Sergeant Major[SgtM]
Colour Sergeant[CSgt]
Sergeant[Sgt]
Corporal[Cpl]
Lance Corporal[LCpl]

Enlisted
Fusilier [Fus]
Private [Pte]
Cadet [Cdt]
Recruit [Rct]

♦ Recruitment ♦
(Open)
The 23rd recruit from across the world - all that is required is that you are able to understand English well and are able to use Teamspeak 3. I've based this regiment on the philosophy "Have a laugh but get the job done." This means:

1. This is a game, the whole point of it is to have fun. Just know where the line is and don't take stuff over the top.
2. I expect and encourage banter between our soldiers, but once again - know the line and don't cross it. Keep it within the regiment, as other people may take it the wrong way.
3. Unless you tell me or another officer otherwise, I expect you to turn up to trainings and Line Battles. I don't mind if you simply don't want to play tonight or you're playing another game, just let me know so that I have a rough idea of what numbers I'll have. Like I said in rule 1 - this is a game and we're all here to have fun. I'm not going to force people to play.
4. Finally, I do expect applicants to have some level of maturity. I don't mind what your age is, as long as you are aware that one of my pet hates is immature people who always take the joke too far or constantly ignore orders.

I would like to think that I'm an easy going person, and as long as you don't intentionally disobey orders or act like a tool, then I'll stay that way. I enjoy this game and I especially enjoy fighting in Line Battles, and I'm looking for people who enjoy that or want to start enjoying that. If, after reading this, you would like to join then please fill in the following:

Name:
Steam ID (Or a link to your profile page):
Experience in the game before: (This wont affect your application, I just want to get an idea)
Do you understand the rules of the Regiment?
Please Contact The Col on Steam as well: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198017895697/

Steam ID jason666
Nationality: welsh
Experience in the game before: i have not had too much experience with mm or napolionic wars but i have had a lot of experience with mount and blade with fire and sword

(I am not sure that this is where i was supposed to put my application. if this is not the place could someone tell me where it is)

Steam ID: geddaz
Nationality: Welsh and proud
Experience in the game before: I've never been in a regiment before but I am a good skirmisher and I can and will follow orders.

(same as other guy, don't now where to put application so I'll put it here.)

The 23rd Welch are the designated Light Infantry regiment for 5th Brigade. That means they'll usually go the British Light Inf class, but otherwise they'd be normal line infantry.

Steam ID (Or a link to your profile page): Onexcuse2many
Nationality: USA
Experience in the game before: I have never been in a Regiment but I have played many  rounds by myself.  I really wanna work in a group.  I think it would e a lot more fun.
Do you understand the rules of the Regiment?  Yes I read them and totally agree

Name:Mac Riada
Steam ID (Or a link to your profile page):macriada
Nationality:Welsh (Cymru am Byth etc, etc..)
Experience in the game before: Accustomed to Warband, new to Napoleon Wars DLC but learning fast.
Do you understand the rules of the Regiment? Absolutamundo, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hopefully you can squeeze little me in.

Steam ID: nightx333
Nationality: USA
Experience in the game before: no experience in a regiment before but i have had much combat and some experience as a team
Do you understand the rules of the Regiment? yes

steam id: lovito908
nationality: peruvin in usa east coast
experience: a little
yes i understand rules of a regiment

Name:Christian Coon
Steam ID (Or a link to your profile page):grin:arknight132
Nationality: USA/Puerto Rico
Experience in the game before: I've have not had the joy of being in a regiment before but i really want to because i've seen many videos of line battles that are no where near as disorganized as the public battles you play and i want to exeperience a less chaotic/more organized linebattles.
Do you understand the rules of the Regiment? yes i do :smile:

Is this regiment still active? Because I havn't seen any 23rd since this was made. Sad always wanted this to go far.

Connzcdf said:
Is this regiment still active? Because I havn't seen any 23rd since this was made. Sad always wanted this to go far.
They are very active they just have their own teamspeak 3 server and a server Ingame were they usaully hang out.

Back
Top Bottom