Which type of plate armour would you like to have?

Which types of plate armour would you prefer to see in the next version of M&B?

• 1. Transitional harness: Used circa 1375-1400 AD

Votes: 61 21.9%
  • 2. Early 15th century plate armour (“Alwite armour”)

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • 3. Milanese armour

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 4. German “Gothic” armour

Votes: 78 28.1%
  • 5. English armour

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • 6. “Krug” style cuirass

Votes: 23 8.3%
  • 7. Renaissance armour

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • 8. Maximilian armour

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • 9. Others, Japanese, Fantasy, Graeco-Roman, Indo-Persian etc

Votes: 26 9.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Aqtai

Sergeant Knight at Arms
This is another spin off from Amman de Stazia’s poll. I’ve done it because plate armour seems to be the most popular choice at the moment. This is to clarify what styles of plate armour would be most popular with the M&B community for the next version of Mount & Blade. the names for some of these armours are not necessarily the actual names, but the names in widespread use at the present time.

Types of plate armour:

1. Transitional harness: Used circa 1375-1400 AD. Mixture of mail and plate. Usually worn with a bascinet, although great helms were also worn for jousts and tournaments.  The cuirasses of this type of armour were often worn under short, tight-fitting padded surcoats called jupons or had a velvet cover riveted on to them. Earlier examples of transitional armour had coats-of-plates to protect the torso instead of breastplates.

2. Early 15th century plate armour (“Alwite armour”), Used circa 1400 to 1450. The earliest form of ‘full plate harness’. Characterised by a rather plain appearance with a one piece breastplate and very long ‘fauld’ (plate skirt) over the abdomen. This is the type of armour that would have been used by many of the noblemen and knights who fought on both sides at the battle of Agincourt. Normally worn with a bascinet or later with a ‘great bascinet’.

3. “Milanese” armour. Manufactured in Italy and exported to the rest of Europe. Used circa 1430 to 1500. Characterised by simple yet elegant appearance and curved surfaces allowing arrows, swords etc to glance off. The cuirass from the default M&B ‘plate armour’ is quite similar to Milanese armour. It was normally worn with an armet type helmet.

4. German “Gothic” armour. Manufactured in Southern Germany and exported to the rest of Europe. Used circa 1460 to 1500. Characterised by ornate look with multiple grooves and fluting and ‘spiky’ appearance. Normally worn with a German style sallet.

5. English armour. Used circa 1450 to 1510. Had features of both Milanese and Gothic armour. Known only from funerary effigies and brasses as no actual examples survive. It was normally worn with an armet or a sallet.

6. “Krug” style cuirasses. This type of armour was used in the Ottoman Empire, Mamluk Egypt, Iran and Russia from the late 15th to the early 17th century. Although lighter and more flexible than Western European armour, it still provided a high degree of protection. The Russian variant was called a zertsalo

7. Renaissance armour. Used throughout Europe in the early 16th century, influenced primarily by Italian styles. The default M&B ‘black plate armour’ cuirass looks similar to this. IMO This and Maximilian armour would not really fit in with Vanilla M&B as they are quite advanced and come from a time when pikes and gunpowder were coming to dominate warfare in Europe and the Near East.

8. Maximilian armour. A variant of early 16th century armour introduced during the reign of the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I. It was characterised by elaborate fluting. Although the purpose of the fluting was mainly decorative it was also supposed to make the armour stronger. The fluting was very labour intensive to produce and therefore expensive. This type of armour was used mainly in Germany from circa 1510 to 1530. IMO This and Renaissance armour would not really fit in with Vanilla M&B as they are quite advanced and come from a time when pikes and gunpowder were coming to dominate warfare in Europe and the Near East.

9. Others: Far-Eastern and Japanese armours (although plate armour was rare in Japan and not used at all in China), Ancient Greek and Roman, Indo-Persian chahar ayna cuirasses and fantasy armours. IMO these, like the two above, don’t really fit into the M&B universe in its current form, I have included this category for completeness. If you vote for this, please post pictures of plate armours in this category that you like.
- First suggestion with a picture: Greek bronze muscle cuirass

Thank you for voting. :smile:

all types of armor  :grin: :wink:
um...krug-russian type.
and more mongol-chinese style armors for khergits please  :wink:

i would like to have a acumulative system of armor, separating it in layers.
armours are a complex thing, not just a piece.
i mean, you take a padded cloth, then you put a light mail armor over it and then a throat frontal cuirass.
or wear normal cloths and put a cuirass over it...etc
giving you diferent protection against diferent types of damage.

it could be great for a speciffic damage/protection system for armors
(see the "changing the rules of being Knocked/unconscious" thread if i remember well...)

Since playing Medieval 2 Total War, I love shining gothic plate armors. I want to blind the enemies with the beauty of the gothic plate.

Gothic plate armour. Looks meanacing. Not so sure I like the pointy bits on the feet of the first one - they would trip you up surely :razz:

Cymro said:
Gothic plate armour. Looks meanacing. Not so sure I like the pointy bits on the feet of the first one - they would trip you up surely :razz:

I think they were only used on horseback. When fighting on foot the long points of the sabatons and sometimes the entire sabaton were dispensed with:

For 'european' style plate I would like to see the Transitional. However, it would be nice to see the Vaegirs in the turkish armors, and perhaps some unique getup for the Khergits (like the Khergit Guards have now).

Generally speaking I say the more choice the better; add them all if they fit (and Taleworlds have the art resources).

Personally I'd like to see a more complex mix'n'match style of armouring characters so we can wear mixed and partial suits.
I do realise the amount of work for such a system to work however, so i'm certainly not expecting it.  An idea for the (hopeful) sequal perhaps?

I'd like to see transitional for swadians and krug for vaegirs. A lot of the other stuff seems out of place in M&B to the level of having T-34s tearing up Napoleonic armies.

Plus I'm already making Gothic armor :smile:

Maximilian....simple and pragmatic. Never worn a full suit, though...if I were to find it unweildy, I'd probably go to transitional.

I'm adding some more pictures I found on t'internet:

First a pair of reconstructed Milanese armours:
http://www.englyshe-plate-armourie.co.uk/Images/Talks_Demo%20Images/will%20and%20philippe.jpg

A German "Gothic" harness and an English harness:
http://www.englyshe-plate-armourie.co.uk/Images/Talks_Demo%20Images/Will%20&%20Graham.jpg

I voted for transitional, as it fits native best IMO. Gothic also looks cool. Having both would be best!

That darker milanese armour Aqtai just posted looks a lot like native's black armour, just more plate on the hands and legs.

Cymro said:
You have no fashion sense :razz:

I voted Gothic, too. Always had a particular love for Gothic armour, though it's probably mostly the sallet that does it for me.

I've noticed that a bit of a paradox has crept in here. With 8 votes out of 28 so far, the most popular style of armour is the German "Gothic" armour. This style of armour is normally worn with a sallet and bevor. However on the helmets thread, the sallet and bevor is only in 3rd place. The most popular style of helmet at the moment is the armet, a type normally worn with Milanese armour, which has only received 3 votes so far on this thread.

It seems you people like to mix and match your armour. :grin:

Hallequin, I personally would be quite happy for the Milanese armour and armet to become the vanilla "Black" armour and helmet, and for the Gothic armour and sallet to become the default "plate armour".

Hack McSlash, I doubt very much that Maximilian-style plate armour would be unweildy. This type of armour appeared over 100 years after plate armour first evolved. As a result it would incorporate all the lessons that had been learned and developments that had occurred in the previous century. If anything transitional armour, as the first type of plate armour to be used in the Medieval period, would be more unweildy. Also with it's complex fluting which was both time and labour intensive to produce, Maximilian armour was hardly simple either. :smile:

you know what might be interesting is if you were able to build your armor suit piece by piece, as in getting armor parts like  left and right paldrons, gauntlets etc.
furthermore there would be an infinite number of possibilities for the enemies so they would always look the same. it would also add higher customizable to players

That works for a lot of stuff, but not plate. Suits of plate are built to measure as a single suit, and mixing joints that aren't designed to fit into each other will turn you into a helpless turtle. Having special blacksmiths in particular towns from whom you can order the suits and specify various characteristics would be great. Something like this:

I'd like to order a suit of armor

What style would you like?
-Milanese (cost, stats after each armor)
-Gothic
-English
-Transitional

How ornate?
-Simple and cheap (Stat and price change after each option)
-Normal
-High Quality
-A masterpiece

Any decoration? (increases price)
-No
-A plume
-Gold trim
-Silver trim
-Spikes
-Pointed shoes

Would you like it dyed? (increases price)
-No
-Red
-Black
-Blue
-Polished silver
-Gilded (ridiculously expensive, something for high level characters to waste money on)
etc.

After you finish, the guy would tell you how long before its ready and allow you to confirm/cancel your order.

There was a certain amount of mixing-and-matching though. A full harness was made to measure a particular individual, But a lot of lower grade armour wasn't made to measure, but almost literally "off the peg". An example of this were "munitions" armours of the early 16th century which were just bought in bulk by kings and princes and used to equip guard units.

In addition 15th century illustrations often show plate cuirasses and cuisses worn with leather boots instead of greaves, or brigandines worn with pauldrons, vambraces, cuisses and greaves. I've even seen pictures of brigandines with plate plackarts covering the abdomen.

Back
Top Bottom