Bataillon des Marins de la Garde Impériale [Recruiting]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bataillon des Marins de la Garde Impériale

Banner.png

About Us:

The Bataillon des Marins de la Garde Impériale is one of the most unique units in history.  We strive to portray them as accurately and historically as possible within the parameters of the game.  I created my own regiment in early September of 2011 with the intent on supplying myself and anyone who wishes to be a part of it, and active, skilled, yet laid back environment primarily for Mount & Blade Warband.  With that being said, I do expect members to conduct themselves in a manner in which would be fitting of the men we portray. Valeur et Discipline above all.

Regards,
Capitaine de Vaisseau
Smithy

History:

Among all the military units belonging to the Imperial Guard of the First Empire led by Napoleon Bonaparte, there was a single marine battalion that was created during the Napoleonic era. That battalion was the Battalion des Marins de la Garde Impériale. Created from a small staff of specifically adept soldiers within the army, the 737 men that made up the Marins de la Garde accompanied Napoleon throughout every single campaign during Napoleon’s era. Through both victory and defeat, during the victories and losses, the Battalion des Marins de la Garde Imperiale was seen, participating in the construction of bridges, transportation vessels, and various engineering necessities Napoleon needed throughout each campaign. The Marins not only did engineering work, but would also act (and excel in) any position required of them by Napoleon during battle, as well as other essential and supportive roles needed to supply the unstoppable force that was Napoleon’s Grand Army. The Marins would act as supply transportation (including ammunition, arms, artillery, and living assets) for the army, and on occasion would aid the supply convoys with limited movement due to water. Only when their intervention was an absolute necessity (either due to setbacks or tactical advantage) the Marins de la Garde Impériale would arrive frequently on the battlefield to show their bravery in the face of the enemy. Their performance during these times (most specifically during the Spanish Civil War of 1808, but seen through all campaigns as well) was so exceptional; they gained admiration by not only their fellow soldiers, but their enemies as well. When ordered, the Marins would abandon the tools needed to build the bridges and raise arms against the enemy, always in cooperation with sappers, and would readily operate as foot artillery if the need arose. These individuals, who were mostly comprised of Grenadiers and Chasseurs Guard, were nothing less of their title, Sailors. This is why the Marins, in order to have a brilliant military career on the sea, their natural element, became one of the most elite marine infantry battalions during this era. This is the battalion in which Napoleon boasted to sailors “We found them, if necessary, sailors, soldiers, artillery, pontoon, everything!” The battalion was formed on September 17th, 1803, and was comprised of a multitude of infantry and artillery detachments. The Battalion was formed into five equipages (a ship’s company), each with five squads, bringing the total strength of the battalion to 737 men. During the Spanish Campaign of 1808, the battalion was almost completely destroyed in the Battle of Baylen. Even with this inevitable fate, the Marins fought with honor and devoted passion for the Grand Army, and had unbreakable morale in even the worst of battles. While the Marins almost fell during this campaign, their reputation and renown throughout the French army was almost equal to Napoleon’s. The battalion was (after their fall) rebuilt, adding three more equipages to the battalion, totaling in 1,136 men.
(More coming soon)

Battle Honors:

In September 1805, 120 sailors, integrated the infantry, leaving the Camp of Boulogne with the Grand Army to counter the Austro-Russian coalition of the center of Europe. They participated in the famous Battle of Austerlitz (Czech Republic) of 2 December 1805.
In 1806, they incorporated engineering and erecting a bridge over the Vistula River (Poland) and another Marienweder (Poland) after the Battle of Eylau ( Russia) in 1807. Subsequently, they also served in intelligence positions.
In 1808, 579 sailors left for the Spanish campaign with the 2nd Corps Observation of the Gironde. They fought at the Battle of Bailen 19 July 1808, but after the surrender, many are killed by the Anglo-Spanish prisoners in the hulks of Cadiz or were deported to the island of Cabrera in atrocious conditions.
In 1809, face the new Austrian coalition, on the island of Lobau (Austria), they organized a system of navigation and communication on the river Danube and participated in the Battle of Wagram (Austria) from 4 to 5 July 1809 with 113 men under the command of Captain Baste.
In 1811, back in Spain, they became engineers and belonging to the elite, had assured the retreat of the rearguard of Marshal Massena.
In 1812, two companies, integrated engineering, left for the Russian campaign.
In 1813 two companies were in the countryside of Germany.
In 1814 a company was in the country of France.
In 1814, after the first abdication of Napoleon, the sailors of the Guard represented 14 officers and 336 sailors. One officer and 21 sailors followed Napoleon's exile in Elba.
In spring 1815, for the return of the Emperor, the Guard Sailors fought for the last time for the Empire at the Battle of Waterloo (Belgium). The unit is permanently dissolved August 15, 1815.

marinsdelagardepics1.jpg

Historical Recruitment Conditions:

In order to be eligible to join the Marins, an individual must have had the following qualities:
A Marin should be at least 25 years of age, have a height of between 1m 78cm (5’ 10”) to 1m 84cm (6’), they must be healthy and hold excellent moral conduct and standing. A soldier also needed to be able to read and write, and would need to have completed at least 3 campaigns of the Wars of Liberty.

The wages a Marin would make was around 12 francs a year, and officers were issued a housing allowance while on duty.
During this time period, the average height of a Frenchman was approximately 5’ 5”. The accepted height for a Marin was the second most selective recruitment condition, just following the Grenadiers de la Garde Impériale. The conditions required were enacted under Napoleon’s specifications, and showed that the Marins were of only the highest quality soldiers in Napoleon’s Grand Army. The recruitment conditions, as well as the outfit of the Marins, were designed by Napoleon himself, and these factors as well as their performance on the line are what gave the Marins their impeccable reputation among friend or foe. It was often thought that the Marins were held in as high a regard as Napoleon himself, they were Napoleon’s Chosen.

Interested in Joining?

We are not currently approving applications at this time.  However if you have an ardent passion for France, and you believe in the bottom of your little soul that you should be a Sailor of the Guard, simply add Capitaine de Vaisseau Smithy on Steam and profess your love for Napoléon, Gouda Cheese, and the slaying of Rosbifs either through Steam or Teamspeak. Vive la France!

This battalion fights for the Garde Impériale part of the Armée Française.

Cherbourgmai1811-1-1.jpg

Liste des Marins:

Commandant de la Bataillon:
United-States-of-America-Flag-2.png
Capitaine de Vaisseau Smithy

Officiers:
Lieutenant de Vaisseau Valjean
Lieutenant de Vaisseau Gordon

Sous-Officiers:
Premier-Maître Munro
Maître Aston
Maître McEwan
Maître Richard
Second-Maître Oreo
Belgium-Flag.png
Second-Maître Verhoeven

Matelots:
Matelot Breveté Duval
Matelot Breveté Nefis
Matelot Breveté Salazar
Matelot Breveté Panther
Matelot Breveté Fortier
Matelot Breveté Conte
Matelot Breveté Bullet
Matelot Breveté Clark
Mexico-Flag-1.png
Matelot Breveté Bergeron
Mexico-Flag-1.png
Matelot Breveté Laurent
Argentina-Flag-1.png
Matelot Breveté Beauxis
Canada-Flag-1.png
Matelot Breveté Lefarge
Canada-Flag-1.png
Matelot Allen
Canada-Flag-1.png
Matelot Holmes
Canada-Flag-1.png
Matelot Optimal
Matelot Dall
Matelot Jean
Matelot Hoffmann
Matelot Barstow
Matelot Case
Matelot James
Matelot Chaffee
Matelot Tinsley
Matelot Ambrose
Matelot Eldae
Matelot Skeffington
Cadet Ames
Cadet Serge
Cadet Rhyizine
Cadet Destro
Cadet Ryuinz
Cadet Marque
Cadet Amherst
Cadet Steele
Cadet Molyneax
Cadet Robert
Cadet Rousseau
Cadet Brian

Shad0w said:
:eek: smifry arises!

In all seriousness, as stated before, hope to see you in the upcoming DLC :grin:

Don't worry, we'll be there.  :wink:  Also got an up and coming group of Sapeurs.  Black-Powder charges + Horde of Prussians = Le Chant de l'Oignon  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Commander Millander said:
Good luck in the new DLC Marins :grin:

Im afraid to see what munro will do with howitzers to my line D:

Thanks again Millander.  :wink:  And, I don't think you'll have to worry about Howitzers too much, however our Rocket Troops may give you some trouble.  :mrgreen:

Good luck Smithy, when the DLC comes out it´ll be interesting to see you guys work them boats :grin:

hherlev said:
Good luck Smithy, when the DLC comes out it´ll be interesting to see you guys work them boats :grin:

Haha, yeah definately.  The boats look fun but unfortunately I don't think a 122-gun ship of the line will be included.  :lol: :cry:

Good Luck!

Oh and, from what I hear la pas cadence a la Marins Imperiale is one of the French tunes :razz:

I am going to assume Munro's reaction to firing rockets will be similar to what mine will be... lots of screaming and the word yes shall be yelled a lot... reminds me of taking an entire army of rockets in ETW.

Gunny said:
Good Luck!

Oh and, from what I hear la pas cadence a la Marins Imperiale is one of the French tunes :razz:

Thanks Gunny  :razz:  And yeah I heard the same thing.. looking forward to actually hearing all supposed 40 songs.

McEwanMaster77 said:
I can't wait to hear it. But, the only French song Smithy cares about is La Chant de l'Oignon  :grin:
That isn't necessarily true, but I do hope it's in the game somehow.  :razz:

Frederickson said:
I am going to assume Munro's reaction to firing rockets will be similar to what mine will be... lots of screaming and the word yes shall be yelled a lot... reminds me of taking an entire army of rockets in ETW.

What's funny about that is, that was his reaction when he found out they were going to be an addition to the game.. I can only imagine the fapping session that will ensue when he actually gets to shoot the rockets.  :shock: :shock:

They Call Me Smithy said:
Frederickson said:

What's funny about that is, that was his reaction when he found out they were going to be an addition to the game.. I can only imagine the fapping session that will ensue when he actually gets to shoot the rockets.  :shock: :shock:

Be sure to have him invite me.

Yeah, I am not sure about the reaction I will have myself, but I have a pretty good guess of how it might go:

So it would probably start off like this:

tumblr_lzxhmnHNUZ1r451pk.gif

And eventually end up like this:

tumblr_ljvyleiWdy1qf0y8to1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom