Floris Wiki

Users who are viewing this thread

Duh said:
Well its not like every troop will change (i think :razz:). Also your wiki pages look fine.
Then I'll continue to add what I got and if anyone sees any errors when the next version rolls out, they can edit it.
One question about equipment: are there changes in the equipment between the basic, gameplay and expanded versions?

Basic has only the native tree, and the troops have their native equipment.

Expanded has all items, which is reflected in the equipment of the troops.

Gameplay has less than half the amount of items from Expanded: the troops have the same tier items, but with less variety. For example, there are 5 different tier 2 armors per faction in Expanded. In Gameplay it's just 1, so the t2 troops from that faction use only that 1 armor instead of the 5 from Expanded.

Raygereio said:
Duh said:
As troop stats and equipment is still WIP, its a good thing you wont list equipment right away. It would be just too much work to always update that.
And you say that after I've collected stat and equipment info on the Swadian trooptree.  :lol:
I'd still keep on with what you are doing.  Troops may get altered, but making edits to existing pages is not that much of a task compared to the initial creation of that many.  What could also be useful for each troop, more so then what gear they carry, is a general idea of what that troop is good for and where they are weak.  Focusing less on the exact equipment and more on the function of the troop would resolve the issue of the information becoming outdated by an updated version a little.

Edit: I also wanted to add a thanks to folks for the help we're receiving getting the wiki off of the ground.  The scale of such a task is often what keeps folks from even starting one, but that is where a wiki excels.  Thanks :smile:

I added the Diplomacy economic settings and their effects since that seems to be a question that comes up often.

http://floris.wikia.com/wiki/Economic_Changes

Let me know if it doesn't look good and I will edit :smile:

Please dont center the link, its brown on brown and it took me 5 minutes before I started reading your post, which is when I finally figured out its position. xD

Windyplains said:
Raygereio said:
Duh said:
As troop stats and equipment is still WIP, its a good thing you wont list equipment right away. It would be just too much work to always update that.
And you say that after I've collected stat and equipment info on the Swadian trooptree.  :lol:
I'd still keep on with what you are doing.  Troops may get altered, but making edits to existing pages is not that much of a task compared to the initial creation of that many.  What could also be useful for each troop, more so then what gear they carry, is a general idea of what that troop is good for and where they are weak.  Focusing less on the exact equipment and more on the function of the troop would resolve the issue of the information becoming outdated by an updated version a little.

Edit: I also wanted to add a thanks to folks for the help we're receiving getting the wiki off of the ground.  The scale of such a task is often what keeps folks from even starting one, but that is where a wiki excels.  Thanks :smile:

Not that I'm an expert in programming or anything, but if we can find out where in the data files the information for units are stored, wouldn't it be a more future-proof way to create a simple text-scanning Java program that reads the data files and pumps it out into a human-readable format - like Excel or HTML prior to posting to the Floris Wiki itself? This way, there can be Floris 2.6, 2.7, ..., 9.9 and the work required to maintain that units Wiki won't ever be that daunting.

Assuming of course that the data file containing this data is a simple text file and that it is of a structured format. In school, I only learned to scan simple .txt files so if it's in anything more complex, I raise my hands in surrender.

Well the actual File the game uses is a text file but uses little text and mostly numbers. An exerpt from the troops.txt file concerning the Novice Fighter:
trp_novice_fighter Novice_Fighter Novice_Fighters 0 3145728 0 0 1 0 0
  1286 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0
  6 6 0 0 5
60 60 60 60 60 60 0
274 131072 0 1 0 0
  12885718161 3308329706231249780 2037444 0 30401134607 2120219310619134131 1939863 0

But if we open the module system file for troops it's under troops.py (python file) and we look at Novice Fighter we get:
["novice_fighter","Novice Fighter","Novice Fighters",tf_guarantee_boots|tf_guarantee_armor,no_scene,reserved,fac_commoners,
  [itm_hide_boots],
  str_6|agi_6|level(5),wp(60),knows_common,mercenary_face_1, mercenary_face_2],

So we can discern that Python takes the .txt file and makes it readable and editable and turns human changes back into the .txt format for the game system to read. If you can do that for a .py file or possibly find the translation method that Python uses then it could be possible. Caba'drin is the coding mind here I believe so I wonder what he has to say.

Just to confirm, so it's like this:

Game reads ".txt" where the data is closer to machine than human language.
TaleWorlds created a module system to make the data files friendlier for modders.
Module System takes those ".txt" and converts it to something more human-readable, stored as ".py".
Module System does this vice versa i.e. changes to ".py" is recompiled back into the machine ".txt" file.
That's how modders do the modding work. By working with the ".py" files.

Since we just want to populate a units wiki, we only need to read; we don't need to write. The automated Java script to be made needs to only read the .py files to be able to achieve the objective.

This is kinda cool. Makes me miss school. I didn't enjoy programming labs back then. I can appreciate them now, when I see a real-life application. I'd volunteer to do this but my programming skills are uber rusty.

Right you can download the module system here:
http://download2.taleworlds.com/mb_warband_module_system_1151.zip
and it will include the .py files and a windows batch file to build module into the .txt files. To read the .py files you need the program Python. Latest version is 2.7. So no converting .txt to .py but the reciprocal applies. You would need to look at this tutorial segment to get it to work right.
http://mbmodwiki.ollclan.eu/Official_Module_System_Documentation:_Part_01
Sorry I just didn't explain it fully/correctly.

I honestly don't know whether or not that method is easier or more complex then the method I used for the Swadian tree which was simply having the wiki open in Steam's overlay and type equipment over from the troop-tree-report menu and abusing the hell out of Steam's screenshot functionality for statblock pictures. :lol:

@Nimja1:
Floris mod has it's own module system in the Dev Suite included in the installer. Secondly you don't really need python to read the .py files. You can simply open them with notepad or similar texteditors and take a look at the code.

It is technically possible to extract the data from the troops.txt file - at least that is how the troop editors work. However there is no program yet that lists them in an easy to copy paste list afaik.

Ever since we started the Floris Wiki I've been trying to use the blog option as a way of highlighting plans for the future versions of Floris.  I'm curious if folks like reading about that sort of information or prefer the way we did developer diaries in 2.5 (longer periods between updates, larger entries)?  Also a strong reason to use the wiki blogs is that it is a great place for you to add comments on those blog topics for ideas you believe might improve a concept currently in development. 

I just wanted to make sure folks knew such comments are not only welcome, but encouraged.  Now I just have to convince the rest of our team to share their secrets :razz:

I just wanted to remind folks of the 2.52 feedback polls on the wiki if you have not already voiced an opinion.  You can find a link to them on the main page.

Windyplains said:
I just wanted to remind folks of the 2.52 feedback polls on the wiki if you have not already voiced an opinion.  You can find a link to them on the main page.

I can't answer this one truly:
"Thoughts on the changes to bows (accuracy & damage type)?"

I very much like the idea of low tier bows not making p-damage but I don't think Power Draw 3 bows should be included. That's just one step too much imo. Everything else is answered in the wiki :smile:

Added a video & dev diary post on the new autolooting system coming with Floris 2.6.  As always with alpha previews the looks tend to get the last bit of polishing, but the functionality of the system is complete.  The video quality left much to be desired, but oh well. :smile:

http://floris.wikia.com/wiki/Domestic_Policy I think you messed up when writing the wiki all the quantities do the same thing.

Magnum said:
http://floris.wikia.com/wiki/Domestic_Policy I think you messed up when writing the wiki all the quantities do the same thing.
Fairly sure it was taken directly from Diplomacy's "About Diplomacy" thread. Feel free to comment/fix on the Wiki...as that is the point of a Wiki :wink:

Back
Top Bottom