max size of a scene in metres? (units?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Take a look:
Code:
http://mbmodwiki.ollclan.eu/SceneObj

The size is stored into 10bit unsigned integers, so:

Code:
1111111111 = 2^10 = 1024 meters per axis.

1024m x 1024m = 1 048 576m2

But I believe that the in-game map generator has a maximum of... 768? per planar axis.
Just tweak the terrain hash and test if crashes, but it shouldn't.

, as they're somewhat pre-formatted and only accept the changes until the boundaries of the old size.

If it doesnt crash for you, it will for most people. A scene that size is simply too large for most computers to deal with without massive amounts of lag.

I only tested with 700 meters, You can always try 1024!  :smile:

The map-size doesn't matter much for client FPS or crashes, the amount of scene props and flora you place matter though, and big maps tend to have a lot of that, good map design can prevent that from happening.

Vincenzo said:
I only tested with 700 meters, You can always try 1024!  :smile:

The map-size doesn't matter much for client FPS or crashes, the amount of scene props and flora you place matter though, and big maps tend to have a lot of that, good map design can prevent that from happening.
That's what i was thinking myself. It's a shame we dont have some kind of antiportal to use.

I should probably note that, in my experience at least, if you get up to maximum sizes, you need to cut the flora value way back, or the engine does some buggy stuff, populating only half the map with trees and bushes.  So, huge savannahs or empty deserts are fine, but if you want a huge forest, be prepared to do it manually (and also be prepared for how much memory it's going to consume).

That is because of the way flora is handled, All the trees,bushes etc... that use the same material.
Their last LOD stage (lod4 if applicable or higher if not) will be batched together as one big mesh and drawn as such. That saves a load of performance.
However if your flora LOD4's are a lot of triangles and the total triangle count of all the flora using this material goes over the 64K limit per mesh the remaining vertices will not be drawn.

So: Make your last flora LOD stage very, very, low poly.  :smile:

Vincenzo said:
That is because of the way flora is handled, All the trees,bushes etc... that use the same material.
Their last LOD stage (lod4 if applicable or higher if not) will be batched together as one big mesh and drawn as such. That saves a load of performance.
However if your flora LOD4's are a lot of triangles and the total triangle count of all the flora using this material goes over the 64K limit per mesh the remaining vertices will not be drawn.

Yup, i remember that problem... luckily this isnt for a naturalistic scene :smile:

I've made an online client-side app that not only mimics the in-game terrain key generator but supersedes its functionality,
allowing a much higher degree of customization, understanding and tweaking of the individual options.

advantages:

• [+]Bigger scenes (up to 128.71%).
[+]Completely flat terrain.[/list]
[+]Insanely ridgy mountains (yeah, I know, even more).[/list]
[+]Higher (and lower) seed values.[/list]
[+]Completely flat terrain.[/list]
[+]Desert Palms terrain type properly labeled.[/list]
[+]View the actual range values.[/list]
[+]Not a resource hog.
[/list]

downsides:

• [o]None.

[o]It's free.

[o]Doesn't have a realtime 3D preview.

[o]I can't do it uglier. Please don't insist.

Code:
http://mbcommands.ollclan.eu/terrain/

Also, as it's coded in JavaScript is easy to look at the source and see what's going on behind the scenes.
It can be downloaded and used offline if you like. As is self-contained.

That's awesome, man, super-useful!

But but but... until / if the engine gets patched to reflect the NW stuff, we can't finally have a reasonable fix for the foliage problems.  Meh, must find time to type that list up for Vincenzo and co., I've been basically afk this week but RL has to come first sometimes :razz:

• Swyter said:
                I've made an online client-side app that not only mimics the in-game terrain key generator but supersedes its functionality,
                allowing a much higher degree of customization, understanding and tweaking of the individual options.

advantages:

• [+]Bigger scenes (up to 128.71%).
                [+]Completely flat terrain.
              Swyter said:

[+]Insanely ridgy mountains (yeah, I know, even more).
            Swyter said:

[+]Higher (and lower) seed values.
          Swyter said:

[+]Completely flat terrain.
        Swyter said:

[+]Desert Palms terrain type properly labeled.
      Swyter said:

[+]View the actual range values.
    Swyter said:

[+]Not a resource hog.
Swyter said:

downsides:

• [o]None.

[o]It's free.

[o]Doesn't have a realtime 3D preview.

[o]I can't do it uglier. Please don't insist.

Code:
http://mbcommands.ollclan.eu/terrain/

Also, as it's coded in JavaScript is easy to look at the source and see what's going on behind the scenes.
It can be downloaded and used offline if you like. As is self-contained.

Hot! well done swyter

Comrade Temuzu said:
Im not quite sure, but is this the correct terrain code for the biggest possible map?

0x0000000050000000000fffff000000000000000000000000

Aha, that's it. 1023 x 1023, that's 1024 values per axis including zero.

You can use this for permalinks by the way:
Code:
[url=http://mbcommands.ollclan.eu/terrain/#0x0000000050000000000fffff000000000000000000000000]http://mbcommands.ollclan.eu/terrain/#0x0000000050000000000fffff000000000000000000000000[/url]

That can be a pretty intimidating desert. :smile:

Ok, i know this is a really nooby question but, how do i actually put the generated terrain code to use? What files do i have to edit or whatever it is i have to do to make the map larger now that i have this code? Sorry about this stain on your thread, but i'm new to making maps so naturally i have no idea what i'm doing. :grin: Thanks in advance

smurfkidharley said:
Ok, i know this is a really nooby question but, how do i actually put the generated terrain code to use? What files do i have to edit or whatever it is i have to do to make the map larger now that i have this code? Sorry about this stain on your thread, but i'm new to making maps so naturally i have no idea what i'm doing. :grin: Thanks in advance

Just add or replace the code of a scene entry...

If you are using the module system the file is called
Code:
module_scenes.py
, if not then try to overwrite existing
codes in the
Code:
scenes.txt
file of your module folder.

That's all the magic. :smile:

Hmm.
I cant get a size over 500x500 meters ingame, doesnt matter which value the terrain code has.
The scene size is always 500m.

The scene should be 1023x1023.
Does anyone know whats wrong with it?
Code:
  ("random_multi_plain_large",sf_generate|sf_auto_entry_points,"none", "none", (0,0),(240,240),-0.5,"0x0000000030000000000fffff000000000000000000000000",
    [],[], "outer_terrain_plain"),# Random Plains (Large)

_Sebastian_ said:
Hmm.
I cant get a size over 500x500 meters ingame, doesnt matter which value the terrain code has.
The scene size is always 500m.

The scene should be 1023x1023.
Does anyone know whats wrong with it?
Code:
  ("random_multi_plain_large",sf_generate|sf_auto_entry_points,"none", "none", (0,0),(240,240),-0.5,"0x0000000030000000000fffff000000000000000000000000",
    [],[], "outer_terrain_plain"),# Random Plains (Large)

Ahh I have to set the polygon size to 5 meters instead of 2 meters.

The max scene sizes for each polygon size;
2 meters = 500x500
3 meters = 750x750
4 meters = 1000x1000
5 meters = 1020x1020

Back
Top Bottom