Map making? Piece of cake! [tutorial]

Users who are viewing this thread

Map making? Piece of cake!

If you've never done any map before, you probably do not even realize how easy it is. Doesn't really matter if you are experienced mapper, or just started - this tutorial will make you aware of variety of solutions presented in Deluge. We encourage everyone to try map making - there is no reward more valuable than seeing a map of yourself in official release.

Launching the editor:
Launch Warband, choose config options.
Enable opening in the window in graphics bookmark.
In advanced options, set edition mode to true.
Launch the game, open your own server.
Multiplayer scene will most likely be made from already existing one.
Open the map with Edit Mode (which can be chosen from game modes label).
Press ctrl + E to open map editing.

Adding scene props:
If you want to delete all scene props at once, press ctrl + A, and then Delete. To add a scene prop, choose it from the list displain, and place it in spacem confirm with RMB.

Prop is:
-rotated with 'X/Y/Z/U'
-moved horizontally with 'G' (when it is already placed)
-moved vertically with 'T'

Tip: The best option is to add the prop somewhere around its default position, and move it with G, instead of adding it directly.

Adding barges, boats, cannons:

How to place working cannons?

Using "MapEdit" edit the map and place "wfas_cannon1skeleton" props where you want to have cannons. Don't worry about cannon barrel not showing up. It will be added by scripts in normal game modes.

You should also place cannon ammo pile somewhere near the cannon, otherwise you won't be able to shoot the cannon even once. Place the "wfas_cannon_ammo_exp" if you want cannon to shoot cannonballs or "wfas_cannon_ammo_canister" for grapeshots. You can also place both of them, if you want cannon to have two kinds of ammunition available.

Next important thing is setting cannon power and amount of ammo. For that use cannon helper props. Place "1_cannon_xxx" helpers on the cannon to set power, range and size of the cannon. For example, cannon with "1_cannon_77" helper will have only 77% of normal power and range. It will also have slightly reduced damage, area of effect and barrel size. Cannon with no helper will have 100% power.

"1_cannon_ammo_xx" helpers should be placed near the cannon ammo piles. They'll set the number of ammunition available in each pile (40 if there's no helper). Using "1_cannon_ammo_0" will let you shoot from cannon just once with no chance to reload (ammo pile will be removed at round start, just like it never was there...).

How to place droppable ladders?

Place the ladder in it's final position, standing agains the wall. Use only "siege_ladder_move_xxx" props for that. Then you need to add an entry point at the bottom of the ladder. Arrow of the entry point should face the direction in which you want the ladder to be dropped. Entry points for moveable ladders should have numbers 100-109, so you can place max 10 moveable ladders on the map.

How to add boats?
It is easy. All you have to do is place them on the water level. Keep in mind, that in Map Edit you should only place theboat, without the steering bench.

Scaling the props:
Props can be scaled, stretched, wided. To do so, you have to mark the prop and use the keys as following:
- B+V scaling whole object.
- B+X scaling the object on X asix.
- B+Z scaling the object on Y axis.

Tip: Remember, that scaling the props has a major influence on quality of their texture.

Terrain editing. Making hills, rivers etc.
If you are willing to edit the ground, choose the Ground Elevate option.

As you can probably presume, to lower the ground choose down, and to raise it up. If you want to smooth the terrain, choose proper option. To set the ground on certain level, also use appropriate setting.
Three sliders shown above are responsible for power of changes and radius of them.

Tip: If you want to smooth the terrain, or set relatively regular edge, use all three sliders. Set them on 1/3, so the changes are visible, but delicate.

Terrain editing. Ground texture.
Terrain textures can be placed by using option Ground Texture Paint.

Choose proper texture. Wybieramy odpowiednią dla nas teksturę.
Set the radius slider on appropriate dimension.
Place the texture using RMB.

Tip: If there appears to be a sharp edge of texture (thin and not fluent border between two textures), you should decrease the slider settings, it will give you a possibility to make soft edges.

Addin respawns, flags etc:

Respawns can be added be placing Entry Points - green arrows. Every arrow has its number and function - 1st one you place is 1, next one 2 and so on. Here go the functions enlisted.

Entry Points:

All game types:

100-109 -ladders

Deathmatch:

0-63 - spawn points

Team Deathmatch:

0-7  - Team 1 spawn points
32-39 - Team 2 spawn points

Capture The Flag:

0-31  - Team 1 spawn points
32-63 - Team 2 spawn points
64 - Team 1 flag
65 - Team 2 flag

Siege:

0-31  - Team 1 spawn points
32-63 - Team 2 spawn points
66 - Defender's Flag

Invasion:

0-7  - Player's spawn points
32-39 - Invader's spawn points

Please, ready maps send to me on pm. If the map is good enough, I make corrections and send the Daedalus, he adds it to the next patch.

lazerBAR said:
I used a randomly generated map and flattened it but I cant delete the foliage, any way how?

Highlight the scene_obj in the edit menu above the item selection, the press delete.

If it doesn't work the first time, just spam the delete button.

Angry Newbie said:
lazerBAR said:
I used a randomly generated map and flattened it but I cant delete the foliage, any way how?

Highlight the scene_obj in the edit menu above the item selection, the press delete.

If it doesn't work the first time, just spam the delete button.
Theres no scene_obj in the edit menu from what I can see.

lazerBAR said:
Theres no scene_obj in the edit menu from what I can see.

The menu with the entry points. If you scroll down it will have all the foliage. Should look like "plant - seedy plant", or something. All you have to do is highlight them and press the delete button. Or you could just right click on the prop and press delete. 

FrisianDude said:
The map editor has some standard scene objects already which you can use. Including entire houses.

Ok, but if you want something more unique on the map can you import 3D meshes?

Afraid not, you'll have to stick to what's in the module itself. Else only your computer might show the building, but no-one else would see it because they don't have the file.

Looking real good, with a few modifications it could probably be used for both invasion AND battle! *Winkwink*

Looks really nice.

Just remember one thing - make sure you added trees, bushes etc. as FLORA objects, not as a scene props. Why?
1. They won't animate correctly.
2. We will be deleting trees from scene prop list in one of next patches, so they'll disappear.

Slawomir of Aaarrghh said:
Looks really nice.

Just remember one thing - make sure you added trees, bushes etc. as FLORA objects, not as a scene props. Why?
1. They won't animate correctly.
2. We will be deleting trees from scene prop list in one of next patches, so they'll disappear.

Yah. Added them as flora under the Plants tab, s'all fine.

And for clarification; this is a work in progress. Hofiko; you see that? It's a ****ing work in progress. You know what? **** it, I ain't even finishing this...

What? I didn't even say anything.

One note: why are the edges so hard? You basically have to redo them all. :<

Hofiko said:
What? I didn't even say anything.

One note: why are the edges so hard? You basically have to redo them all. :<

Mate. You came at me on Steam, said that the edges look **** and that I should do it all again. By all regards, I am not a rookie in making maps given the number I made for Vikingr and 1866. I work my own way and it has always been fine.

Back
Top Bottom