Other games like Mount and Blade?

Users who are viewing this thread

kevindrosario

Knight at Arms
At this point, I think I've put more time into Mount and Blade and mods for M&B than any other game I've ever played besides maybe Oblivion. I think that I've Mounted and Bladed myself out and I'd really like to know if there are other games like it. The only ones I know of are Starfarer, which I am currently playing (though it's still in Alpha so isn't really that great yet), and Sid Meier's Pirates, which doesn't look very appealing to me.

I don't necessarily need medieval combat or anything like that. What's appealing to me is building up my own army/fleet, traveling around an open world map attacking whoever I please, trying to build up money and dealing with the economy. Basically most of the macro aspects of the game I guess. Oh, and of course, having my main character who levels up constantly throughout the game.

Edit: Also, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this thread. I wasn't really sure which subforum would be appropriate. Please move it if this is the wrong place.

F&S seems much too similar to Mount and Blade to me. I really love the qualities and features of M&B, but I'd like to play a game that's a little bit different now. Too much M&B for me.

I just looked up a gameplay video for Die by the Sword. The music is awesome. Besides that though, the game doesn't seem to be one that I would enjoy.

So far as other sandbox-y, RPG-y, games with some strategy elements....I think there are a number of threads in the Other Games board about this.
That said, the space sim-type seems to be the most prevalent: the X and Evochron series are open world, sandbox, upgrade character and ship, hire folks to join you, etc. Spaceforce Rogue Universe is another in the genre.

If first-person combat is not one of your requirements, you might want to try an historically-oriented Rome Total War mod called "Europa Barbarorum" -- there are other RTW mods that might work too.

EB does let you do the army-building, economy and conquering the world aspect.  The team are working on EB II which is a Medieval Total War -- Kingdoms mod.

You like micro managing, leveling and building up armies? What about Dwarf Fortress?

Graphics? Who needs Graphics when we have this: @ <-- Dwarf.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-6021-dwarf-fortress/

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been checking out some of these games and Evochron Mercenary looks very promising. As far as Total War games go, I love them, but they're not really what I'm looking for here. For Skyrim, I played it a bit, but now I'm waiting a few months at least for the good mods to start rolling out. And while I wouldn't consider myself a graphics whore by most standards, Dwarf Fortress is a little...yeah lol.

Well, you said you played SKyrim a little. I played the game a long time and its fun as hell. Oblivion was a nice one as well.

Cleomenes said:
Well, you said you played SKyrim a little. I played the game a long time and its fun as hell. Oblivion was a nice one as well.

Yeah, but like I said, I'd much rather wait for the mods to come out for Skyrim. Plus Skyrim isn't very similar to Mount and Blade. No maintaining an army or anything like that. Also, in my original post I mentioned that the only game I might have played more than Mount and Blade is Oblivion. So Oblivion is a no go for me as well. I've played that game for an ungodly amount of time.

I know it may sound stupid, but Total War series are quite good, tho not the same as M&B.
And back to SKyrim, there are plenty of mods out, including a... uhm... nude mod  :lol:
Not that I play it, I am a full Skyrim player, mods are for  pusssiees  :cool:

I've played a lot of Total War. Spent hundreds of hours modding. That's another series that I'm kind of burned out on a little bit. I guess I'm mostly looking for slightly less well known games that I might not have heard of or played.

Blead said:
You like micro managing, leveling and building up armies? What about Dwarf Fortress?

Graphics? Who needs Graphics when we have this: @ <-- Dwarf.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-6021-dwarf-fortress/

Cracked did an article on DF?
Why was I not informed of this?

Back to the main post, the X-series are very good
Screw skyrim. I played it for a week and got bored. Also it's hard to play another honor duel simulator without M&B blocking.

Back
Top Bottom