Other games like Mount and Blade?

Users who are viewing this thread

I guess the games mentioned qualify if the criteria for being similar to M&B is simply "being as good as". I wouldn't say Dwarf Fortress is similar in any respect to M&B though (ok, exception being both could be termed "sandbox" to some extent).  :mrgreen:

Cleomenes said:
I know it may sound stupid, but Total War series are quite good, tho not the same as M&B.
And back to SKyrim, there are plenty of mods out, including a... uhm... nude mod  :lol:
Not that I play it, I am a full Skyrim player, mods are for  pusssiees  :cool:

Total War is good. Rome: Total War is class.

Mount and Blade ruins all games with melee combat.  You'll have to wait for war of the roses or warband 2 before you can get your fix.  Skyrim is a fun distraction though I spent all my time wishing it had warbands melee combat system.  Medieval 2 Kingdoms mods "The Third Age" and "Call of Warhammer" were really nice mods which reinvigorated the total war series for me.

The only thing I can think of that comes -close- to Mount and Blade as far as building forces and just basically taking everything over while still retaining an RPG element is Age of Pirates 2

It's strikingly similar to mount and blade, but buggy as all hell in some regards. If you can find a copy, it's well worth the money. There's not really any character customization outside of equipment and there is an -optional- storyline to follow, but if you just want to get rich from plunder and build a fleet to conquer the Caribbean you can. The naval battles are a lot of fun. There's just something to be said for firing broadside into a 1st or 2nd rate line ship before boarding it.

I second the recommendation for Age of Pirates 2: Caribbean Tales. It's a great free-roaming sandbox-type game with good land and sea combat, not as cartoonish as Pirates and a lot more realistic. You should pick up the Combined Mod for it, which adds a lot of features, makes starting out less daunting, and improves playability in general. Sid Meier's Pirates is also a terrific game, I know you said you weren't into it but once you get past the gibberish language and cartoony graphics, it is a surprisingly deep and involving game.

Try X3 Terran Conflict with Albion Prelude as well, the series has never been easier to get into but it's still not for the feint-of-heart. The learning curve is near vertical but it's similar to Mount & Blade in the sense that instead of going from a lowly peasant to the ruler of an empire, you're going from a single fighter pilot into the ruler of an empire.

Finally, if you haven't played Starfarer in a while, they came out with a new alpha that adds a campaign map with multiple factions and stations for them. I can't wait to see how this game develops as it is definitely the most comparable to Mount & Blade.

For those of you looking for a graphical and enjoyable version of Dwarf Fortress, I highly recommend checking out Towns. You don't lose a ton of functionality and the controls, interface, and visuals are much easier to deal with.

Hi! I'd also want more games like Mount & Blade. I tried jumping into X3 Terran Conflict, but it's just way too hard without a uttorial or anything, just couldn't get into it. I tried Evochron Mercenaries and it was fine, until i was getting owned in combat and doing no damage. For the Total War series i don't really fancy strategy, and for Age Of Pirates ( And Sid Meier's) - it simply got boring after some time. Actually they don't even need to be much like Mount & Blade. A few elements from the series would be nice.

kevindrosario said:
I just looked up a gameplay video for Die by the Sword. The music is awesome. Besides that though, the game doesn't seem to be one that I would enjoy.

But kobolds are so cute in that game.
When I play with Mount and Blade my first tought is Die by the Sword, the second is Pirates. The game is clearly inspired by the old Sid Meier's masterpiece: you can also end as a beggar if you don't save enough money when you decide to retire.

Lord Silvabane said:
I've been playing Age of Empires (1997) and damn the game is fun, almost 15 years since it was released!

if its age of empires the age of kings your talking about im right with you on that

I also endorse the X series. Try out X3 Terran Conflict. It's a sandbox game in space, build your own space station industries and build/buy your own fleet and get into massive space battles. You're in direct control of your space ship, no point and click.

Also keep track of the development of X - Rebirth, it's looking extremely promising.

I can't believe no one has mentioned sid mier's pirates. It is an older game but it's obvious how much of mount and blade was inspired by it. I definitely suggest anyone give sid mier's pirates a try.

neal8929 said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned sid mier's pirates. It is an older game but it's obvious how much of mount and blade was inspired by it. I definitely suggest anyone give sid mier's pirates a try.

Me. The main differences are on combat mechanic and the fact you can level up.

vota dc said:
The game is clearly inspired by the old Sid Meier's masterpiece: you can also end as a beggar if you don't save enough money when you decide to retire.

If you dont mind waiting for a long time before getting close to anything else but an alpha, take a look at Kenshi. Its currently bundled on Gamersgate (4.99 €) with a couple of other indie games. Its already somewhat fun, but there is nothing to do cept for fighting, recruiting and trading. Fighting being the fun bit.

It shares the open world approach with mount and blade, the medieval setting, the difficulty for new players (though atm there isnt much to learn).

Its different in that there is no overview worldmap, but everything plays in a huge scene, its squat based and there probably wont be armies as large as in mount and blade (though i have just been in a battle between 50bandits and a caravan+my folks).

There really isnt much to it yet, but it has the potential to become as grand of a sandbox game as mb.

Space Rangers 2 is as open world and sandboxy as they get.

Just like Warband you'll be strolling around, trying to make a living one way or another while the rest of the galaxy is moving on about their business.

On a side note - Mount n Blade spoiled the Skyrim for me. I just can't bring myself to play melee class while the M&B melee AND mounted combat exist in this world. One of the quests in Skyrim involves attacking a fortress....what a joke that is. The attacking army is 7 guys including you against 7 defenders. Sorry Skyrim but after storming the walls of Sargoth this is pretty stupid. Also, mounted combat.

The only game that I can think of to be a M&B-like game is the X series. Hire mercenaries, build your ship and trade things from other planets..

Lord Silvabane said:
Wait for "War of the Roses". It looks just like M&B but with spectacular graphics and better multiplayer.
...did you read why the OP wanted a M&B like game? For sandbox singleplayer. War of the Roses is MP-only (or MP-heavy at the very least...and definitely not sandbox)

Back
Top Bottom