Spoiler tags, and use thereof for images

Users who are viewing this thread

So it's likely this will mostly be relevant to Off Topic, but I can imagine a few ways it's relevant to the On Topic boards as well.

Essentially, it's became common practice (for good reason!) to put large images such as screenshots within spoiler tags. This is all well and good, but due to the extremely commonplace nature of this, it's became standard for me (and possibly others?) to assume that what is under a spoiler - especially one in a screenshot thread or such - to not in fact be a spoiler, but just good housekeeping on images. This is all well and good until you get spoiler tags being used for their actual use. :razz:

Essentially, what I'm asking is whether it's both possible and practical to have a separate tag for images. Same functionality and such, just with an "Image" logo instead of a "Spoiler" one? Useful for both the aforementioned examples, and for mod authors to easily differentiate between images and "hidden" or "surprise" features when writing up their posts or for the players discussing them.

Cheers in advance.

Easiest way, of course, is to get in the habit of labeling your spoilers.

<image here>

vs

<dirty secrets>

by simply putting an = and then your title like

[spoiler=My awesome title here]
awesome spoiler'd stuff
[/spoiler]

as far as I know it's possible and not too difficult to have/make custom bbc functions, I myself managed to implement a couple in a forum I help administrate. </ :cool:>
about the practicality... (as is insinuated over there,)  a tag may exist but not necessarily be actually used. so I'd rather agree with promoting useful spoiler labelling.

Aye, but not everyone does, for reasons of laziness/forgetfulness. :razz:

I tend to make an effort, but even I've probably lapsed once or twice. At least with two discrete functions, it'd be less easy to forget.

Of course, it's only really worth implementing if cloning it over is as easy as a couple of copy-pastes and maybe a new graphic.

Mainly, I just wish spoiler'd images didn't load until you clicked the button; it's really bad when you hit a bunch of huge images on a forum thread and have to wait a few seconds, and people posting on low-bandwidth hosting very quickly end up with 404'd images or blanks.

xenoargh said:
Mainly, I just wish spoiler'd images didn't load until you clicked the button; it's really bad when you hit a bunch of huge images on a forum thread and have to wait a few seconds, and people posting on low-bandwidth hosting very quickly end up with 404'd images or blanks.
That generally comes down to your browser, I think. Most browsers do load images which are in hidden sections of the page, but some don't load such images until/unless they become visible.
I think that's probably not general practice due to some pages taking advantage of using hidden sections in order to pre-load images.

soon this thread will become like biowares forum, where no spoilers or post breaking sized images are allowed! how long unto we allow luncheons for moderators so that they might grow to truly stupendously huge sizes? how long until moderators start signing all their posts with ''end of line''?

combat this bill, taleworlders, if you value your trolls and more importantly - FREEDOM!

Iridetheshortbuss said:
soon this thread will become like biowares forum, where no spoilers or post breaking sized images are allowed! how long unto we allow luncheons for moderators so that they might grow to truly stupendously huge sizes? how long until moderators start signing all their posts with ''end of line''?

combat this bill, taleworlders, if you value your trolls and more importantly - FREEDOM!

Can someone get rid of this guy?

That generally comes down to your browser, I think.
Ah, so I should have wrath with my relatively un-modded Firefox, which is smart enough to put bold and underline with simple control-key combos but is not smart enough to know that, no, I don't want to wait a few seconds for ImageShack to get around to informing me that no, the end-user in question does not have any free bandwidth available  :lol:

Anyhow, I will go look for a plugin, or just suffer in silence.  I'm too lazy to submit a change request  :lol:

An alternative solution could be to add a "thumbnail" option for images. The resizing... thing when you add "width=150" on the forum is pretty solid since it automatically resizes the other dimension if it's unspecified and the one-click expand/collapse is simple and slick. If there was one tag ([tmb]?) that automatically resized to, say "width=150" then people might stop using spoilers altogether when there are only one or two images being posted.

mb_warband%202012-01-25%2018-29-23-268.jpg

captain lust said:
An alternative solution could be to add a "thumbnail" option for images. The resizing... thing when you add "width=150" on the forum is pretty solid since it automatically resizes the other dimension if it's unspecified and the one-click expand/collapse is simple and slick. If there was one tag ([tmb]?) that automatically resized to, say "width=150" then people might stop using spoilers altogether when there are only one or two images being posted.

mb_warband%202012-01-25%2018-29-23-268.jpg
That wouldn't help the people who don't want their browser downloading huge image files, though. Your browser is of course currently downloading the entire image however large it may be before then presenting it to you resized as specified.
For that sort of thing to be useful to such people, the server itself would need to create a thumbnail image based on the source image, presumably storing it locally for later use, and send that to the end user.

Maybe, a good way to do this would be scripting ( I think vBulletin has this availability in forum administration, don't take this as 100% sure info, but I think it does ) that any picture with the size over 800x800 px is immediatelly put into a spoiler....

Back
Top Bottom