Durrin Castle - hardest siege in game?

Users who are viewing this thread

nakieon

Regular
Are you serious?  I bet this is part of the updated scenes pack thingy but this has to be a troll.  You have to run a really long distance just to get to the castle, except you still have to run AROUND the castle, up some shaggy cliffs just to get to the ladders.  This would be such an easy castle to defend, even against dark knights.

CrymsonChaos said:
Or just get a bunch of archers, move them in slowly while they pick off all the ones in the towers.

I already captured it, but it's inconsistent that this one random castle is structured like this and no other castles/capitals are.

Durrin Castle is just like that in the original scene, I believe. I just added the second ladder, and some decorative elements, like the well, or the armoured skeleton, or the skull.
Did you see the skeleton?

Me, I kind of like the long trail in the dunes, under a rain of arrows. Death coming from the sky, not a single place to hide. Could write a song about it.

It sounds more realistic.
Building a castle that forces your enemies to come at you through a rain of arrows is a good idea from a defensive view.

Jekanl said:
Building a castle that forces your enemies to come at you through a rain of arrows is a good idea from a defensive view.

Except... when you siege a castle YOUR raiding party is the one that puts down the ladder, so it doesn't make sense if we were to spawn on the opposite side of the castle the ladder was placed at because you know, we would have had to be on the other side in the first place just to put down the ladder, so why would we run all the way back to the other side and then siege?

nakieon said:
Jekanl said:

Except... when you siege a castle YOUR raiding party is the one that puts down the ladder, so it doesn't make sense if we were to spawn on the opposite side of the castle the ladder was placed at because you know, we would have had to be on the other side in the first place just to put down the ladder, so why would we run all the way back to the other side and then siege?

he does raise an excellent point, i'm pretty sure that the army would simply be on the OTHER side of the castle when they deploy

nilloc93 said:
nakieon said:

he does raise an excellent point, i'm pretty sure that the army would simply be on the OTHER side of the castle when they deploy

I imagine the besiegers just sent some cannon fodder to place the ladders a few minutes before the arrival of the main army.
The ladder guys are just dead, now. Their bodies have sunk into the sands.
Sounds almost close to realistic to me, anyway ! :smile:

Ballacraine said:
It would make more sense if the beseigers placed their ladders in an intelligent place!  :wink:

You are right. It would make more sense if one felt that the besiegers had actually no other choice than to put their ladders precisely where they did.
That's why terrain is so important in scene-making.

Maybe I could tweak that siege scene some more, then.

nakieon said:
Jekanl said:

:O you got him there xD

Well it is good, but "imagining that the siege is realistic" doesn't make it realistic. It makes it even more dis-satisfactory and unwilling. :sad:

For example: I play Medieval II - Total War. I loved how my infantry ran to the walls carrying ladders, taking crossbow fire in the face. I loved how enemy knights charged and sallied out of the mighty citadels and I rushed my spearmen to defend my ladders and towers. I liked the fact that fire arrows can set fire to the siege equipment, and how enemy poured oil on my troops near the gates. :twisted:

But when I played M&B I noticed lack of nearly everything stated above. I noticed unpolished animations and some unrealistic siege battles. This demoralized me and I stopped playing M&B for an year. Then Warband came out and I expected much more, but got the nearly same old demoralizing factors, just with great graphics. :mad:

Now you can understand, I cannot play a game by imagining a cutscene in my mind, take 'hearing market prices' as an example, I cannot imagine that my player is roaming aimlessly in the market and people are using loudspeakers blurting out prices. I wanted to see my player move, and then 'eavesdrop' like Assassin's Creed on the prices and ask others about prices. Simply imagining doesn't make a game fun. If they had made cutscenes or real time eavesdropping system, then game would have felt more polished.

Not to criticize anybody though, :smile: your mod is great and adds a huge box of fun!!

The game engine has its limitations, as does the original makers of the game. Put simply, it's a matter of funding, and M&B simply does not have that sort of money. As a result, many aspects of the game is lacking. Does this make it excusable? Yes. Does this make it a good thing? No. We all want the very best, but unfortunately, that just doesn't happen often.

Now, onto the topic at hand.
The castles are different from eachtoher: Good.
Some castles are incredibly defensible: Good.
Some castles are glorified palisades: Questionable, but can't be easily fixed.
Some castles are death-traps that make Dwarf Fortress players proud: This is silly and needs a few more ladders.

Also, Lord Samuel, could I suggest you to make a few pieces of cover for the attacking side to hide behind? I tire of ducking behind my own men.

I must say that ladders on the other side of the castle make no sense. Cannon foder usually comes with the army, not from the other side of the castle.

On the other side, maybe those ladders were left behind by a group that was suposed to open the castle gates secretly. Farfetched, but...

"The siege ladders are finished, m'lord!"

"Good! Have my men deploy them on the BACK side of the castle while we assault the FRONT!"

Back
Top Bottom