3 new comands

Users who are viewing this thread

cucchulainnn

Recruit
I know Armagan wants to keep the combat commands simple (hold-1, follow-2, charge-3, mount-4, dismount-5). Keeping with this I suggest 3 additional commands. I have given this thought and believe the new commands should be troop specific. One for each basic type infantry, archer and horsemen.

Shield wall- 6, this only works on infantry, they line up facing the enemy holding either their shield or weapon ready, you could limit the line to maybe 8 men wide and then make a 2nd rank. Maybe limit that as well to two ranks deep and the left over forms a new line.

Stand and fire-7, only for archers and crossbow men, they form a group and fire on the enemy. The shape of the group doesn’t make much of a difference. Too keep this simple you could use part of the code used in the example for infantry.

Flank-8, only for horsemen, maybe it orders them to ride in a figure 8 pattern or something, as apposed to charge where they ride straight into enemy spears, this time your horsemen ride out in one direction then comes back into the sides of your enemy.

Three fairly simple commands to add a new layer too already impressive combat. You could also make the new commands operate at the same time as the 5 original. These will give the players an opportunity to use the basic battle formations used from antiquity to the 1800’s

I like those ideas. I do think though that formations should be distinguised between swords, two handed weapons, etc and polearms. Because I think that polearm men shoud be able to get in a line and set their pikes for a cavalry charge. The purpose of pikemen is anti-cavalry, is it not? Otherwise they are almost useless in this game. Whereas non-polearm units in formation should still be able to be run-over by cavalry (heavy cavalry at least).

I like the idea of the new commands. One thing I would like to be able to do is to assign commands to different types of troops. Right now if I have a mixed bag of horesman and archers and use the charge command they all take off after the opponents. I would like to be able to issue a hold command to my archers and a charge command to my horseman.

I believe there should be an automatic trigger that assembles your men according to their weapon type or mounted.

Then if you were to press "Stand and Fire" the men without ranged would automatically hold the flanks. Likewise if the "Shield Wall" one was performed there would be the shields in the center and flankers with polearms, then ranged, then mounted.

Of course, this all depends on if there are preset formations you can setup or if this would simply be an automatic assembly.

I guess I can put this here.

I always thought that "Hold this position" should be changed to "Hold YOUR postition. If you need them to hold the position you are at first tell them to follow you there. But right now I would find a STOP WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING command more alluring than a "defend this spot with me" order.

Back
Top Bottom