New helmets

Which helmets would you like to see in the next version of M&B?

• 1. Maciejowski Bible Helm

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • 2. Houndskull bascinet (AKA 'Pigface bascinet')

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • 3. klappvisor bascinet

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • 4. Sallet with bevor

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • 5. Great Bascinet

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 6. Armet

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • 7. Sallet without bevor

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • 8. 14th century great helm

Votes: 25 9.1%
  • 9. Chichak (or çiçak) style helmets

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • 10. Kettle hat with bevor

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 11. 'Turban' helmets

• 12. Kipchak style masked helmets

• 13. Other

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah it wud be mad to have a similar halo that warrior priests have (and luthor huss, warrior priest hero from warhammer has one too), wud have crap armour value though.

DamnedChoir said:
As un-realistic as it is, I'd like to see one of those giant metal collars that juts up from the armor and covers most of your face except the top of your head.

It's like what the priests of Sigmar have in Warhammer. Yes, I know, I know, it's not fantasy, but it looks good, provides SOME protection, but not much, and is for someone slightly suicidal. :wink:

Flame away.

What you are describing actually existed. It was a type of early bevor/gorget which was used in Spain and the Balkans in the 14th century. They covered the lower part of the face up to the mouth. They were usually worn with bascinets. unfortunately I don't have any pictures.

Dryvus said:
I'd like to see The Hound's black snarling-dog helm from A Song Of Ice And Fire.

Good choice, but since it exists only in the pages of a book, you'll have to produce a picture. :smile:

Grotesque helms of this type were actually used in the 16th century for tournaments, parades and pageants. The were usually armets or close-helmets where the visor was shaped like a bird, dragon, ugly face etc.

I do have a few pictures of helms of this type. However since they are 16th century and NOT designed for war, I didn't think that they would fit into the M&B setting.

Heh... yeah, just wild fantasizing on my part.
It'd be cool to see a mod where if you wore a grotesque, lower-end enemy troops suffered in morale or somesuch.

I've added another picture of 14th century great helms to the first post, including one with a rather impressive (and slightly lobsided :smile:) crest.

Aqtai said:
I've added another picture of 14th century great helms to the first post, including one with a rather impressive (and slightly lobsided :smile:) crest.

Kewl, looks fierce and daunting!

Flash_Knight said:
I think great helms would be the best to wear cuz they look like they would provide the most defense

Not that good if a horse kicks u in the face, but yeah they're cool. i prefer helmets like the basinet where u can see ur face.

Flash_Knight said:
I think great helms would be the best to wear cuz they look like they would provide the most defense

They were also cumbersome, clumsy and had very poor visibilty. Which is one of the reasons why after 1350 AD (or thereabouts) they were only used for tournements and lighter, more flexible helmets such as bascinets, then later sallets and armets were used instead.

Aqtai said:
Flash_Knight said:

They were also cumbersome, clumsy and had very poor visibilty. Which is one of the reasons why after 1350 AD (or thereabouts) they were only used for tournements and lighter, more flexible helmets such as bascinets, then later sallets and armets were used instead.

another reason y i don't like them that much and they look oversized in game to me.

I'm adding a couple of pictures I came across of a pair of very early armets from around 1410-1420 AD. One has lost it's visor and the other never seems to have had one in the first place:
http://www.mallet-argent.com/images/S18_armet_front.jpg
http://www.mallet-argent.com/images/S18_armet_side.jpg
http://www.mallet-argent.com/images/early_armet_med.jpg

I voted for the Biblical helmet since it looks like a cooler version of the current great helmet and would thus be fairly easy to incorporate into the game i.e. just base it on the current great helmet.

I also just preferred it to the armet (what's with that weird bit that sticks out? It looks like something a person with a really long, sharp nose might need.) :lol:

Sallet with bevor looks like stuff of a real knight. Maybe I played as Holy Roman Empire in Medieval 2 Total War too much.

(Gothic Knights are my favorite.)

Dryvus said:
I'd like to see The Hound's black snarling-dog helm from A Song Of Ice And Fire.

I've got some pictures of grotesque helmets, as I mentioned before I personally am NOT in favour of these helmets as I feel that do not feel they fit in with the M&B setting because 1) most of these are 16th century helmets, not Medieval helmets and 2) because they are parade helmets and not designed for combat. In fact the decoration and embossing compromises their defensive properties.

Here you go, click on the thumbnails:

I suppose these would fit into the "other" category as "Renaissance parade helmets".

Aqtai said:
Dryvus said:

I've got some pictures of grotesque helmets, as I mentioned before I personally am NOT in favour of these helmets as I feel that do not feel they fit in with the M&B setting because 1) most of these are 16th century helmets, not Medieval helmets and 2) because they are parade helmets and not designed for combat. In fact the decoration and embossing compromises their defensive properties.

Here you go, click on the thumbnails:

I suppose these would fit into the "other" category as "Renaissance parade helmets".

Those are cool, i have been wanting to see a good example of  grotesque helmets for ages, the second one is crazy.

Really cool stuff, except for this one:
Aqtai said:

Seriously, WTF?

And yeah, they really don't have much of a place in native M&B. I would like to try modelling one of those some day, though.

Hallequin said:
Really cool stuff, except for this one:
Aqtai said:

Seriously, WTF?

And yeah, they really don't have much of a place in native M&B. I would like to try modelling one of those some day, though.

That helmet was part of a suit of armour that was given as a gift to king Henry VIII of England by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I in 1514. Arguments have raged among historians as to why such a bizarre object should have been given by one monarch to another. These arguments have never been resolved. The armour did have another more conventional helmet though, both the other helmet and the rest of the armour were sold for scrap in 1649. That helmet is all that has survived.

If a guy wearing that helm i would turn and run as fast as i could.

Back
Top Bottom