New helmets

Which helmets would you like to see in the next version of M&B?

• 1. Maciejowski Bible Helm

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • 2. Houndskull bascinet (AKA 'Pigface bascinet')

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • 3. klappvisor bascinet

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • 4. Sallet with bevor

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • 5. Great Bascinet

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 6. Armet

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • 7. Sallet without bevor

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • 8. 14th century great helm

Votes: 25 9.1%
  • 9. Chichak (or çiçak) style helmets

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • 10. Kettle hat with bevor

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 11. 'Turban' helmets

• 12. Kipchak style masked helmets

• 13. Other

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

If anyone here has seen the movie Gladiator the helmet that Maximus has in the colliseum against the chariots would be awesome! That would pone all the freaks!!!

Inasrian said:
If anyone here has seen the movie Gladiator the helmet that Maximus has in the colliseum against the chariots would be awesome! That would pone all the freaks!!!

It looks really vicious with the spiky parts, kinda reminds me of the guitarist's mask from SkipKnoT (a metal band for those who don't know).

Just a few updates. I've added Maximus' helmet from "Gladiator" to the "other" category, another picture of a houndskull bascinet, another picture of the crested 14th century great helm and the sallet of Duke Sigmund of Tyrol, with and without its bevor.

At present armets are in the lead with 13 votes (15.9%), the houndskull bascinet is in 2nd place and the sallet with bevor is in 3rd place.

Link to pictures

Aqtai said:
Hallequin said:
Really cool stuff, except for this one:
Aqtai said:

Seriously, WTF?

And yeah, they really don't have much of a place in native M&B. I would like to try modelling one of those some day, though.

That helmet was part of a suit of armour that was given as a gift to king Henry VIII of England by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I in 1514. Arguments have raged among historians as to why such a bizarre object should have been given by one monarch to another. These arguments have never been resolved. The armour did have another more conventional helmet though, both the other helmet and the rest of the armour were sold for scrap in 1649. That helmet is all that has survived.

To me, looks as though those eye-pieces may have held lenses (as in optical).
And ram's horns - the HRE could bestow the order of the fleece > ram > horns.
PERHAPS Henry had bad eyesight, so the elaborate helm was a way of giving him spectacles? And all the wierd stuff was just to distract from that fact?

Now there's an outside theory!

Amman de Stazia said:
To me, looks as though those eye-pieces may have held lenses (as in optical).
And ram's horns - the HRE could bestow the order of the fleece > ram > horns.
PERHAPS Henry had bad eyesight, so the elaborate helm was a way of giving him spectacles? And all the wierd stuff was just to distract from that fact?

Now there's an outside theory!

Outside is right. Lots of Henry VIII's helmets still survive, non of the others have spectacles. Also the horned helmet is also one of Henry's earliest helmets, so he would have been quite young at the time he wore it, if he ever did! I think the glasses are there just to make it look even more grotesque, although it has also been suggested (without any evidence to back it up) that the spectacles were added later. :smile:

Now the ram's horns idea, that is quite interesting. However other crested and horned helmets are also depicted in paintings and miniatures etc, so I'm inclined to think that it's just coincidence. :smile:

Not a real update, but this poll just needs 10 more votes to get to the magical 100! :smile:

Anyway, i have just spent an indecent amount of time this morning with my scanner, my "European Armour circa 1066 to circa 1700" book by Claude Blair and photoshop and produced this; a compilation of almost all the helmets in the poll. The missing item is the Kipchaq masked helmet.

helmets_poll_03.jpg

Get voting! :grin:

I've not played version 0.890 yet (too much going on at work), so I don't know if any of thse suggested helmets have got into it. I would be grateful for feedback.

By the way has anyone noticed that the sallet and bevor is now in the lead? Mind you with only 14.9 % of the votes, it's hardly what you would call a strong lead. :grin:

Aqtai said:
I've not played version 0.890 yet (too much going on at work), so I don't know if any of thse suggested helmets have got into it. I would be grateful for feedback.

By the way has anyone noticed that the sallet and bevor is now in the lead? Mind you with only 14.9 % of the votes, it's hardly what you would call a strong lead. :grin:

Well, can you blame people for adoring the sallet? It's a downright brilliant design!
*Points at self*  :wink:

Zathan

A rather late update. MyArmoury.com have got an excellent article about Great helms on their site with some good pictures:

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spot_ghelm.html

I too think of the armet as the iconic knight helm, even though I've apparently been calling it the pig-faced bascinet all my life.

doorknobdeity said:
I too think of the armet as the iconic knight helm, even though I've apparently been calling it the pig-faced bascinet all my life.

It's the best looking one, the armet that is.

I'd love to have a conquistadors helmet for heavy infantry / pikemen like

konquistador.jpg

...or watch "Aguirre" for more similar models...

rumpelstilzz said:
I'd love to have a conquistadors helmet for heavy infantry / pikemen like

...or watch "Aguirre" for more similar models...

It's actually called a Morion. These helmets were widely used throughout Western Europe in the 16th century. :smile:

Since it is a 16th century, i.e. Renaissance, helmet it wouldn't really fit into a what is essentially a Medieval setting. Kettle hats, which are medieval and already in the game, are very similar and are the ancestors of the morion. :smile:

There must be a mod with a morion in it. Which mod that is I do not know :sad:

Back
Top Bottom