Regular
2de Belgische Bataljon der Lijn Infanterie

DutchLineInfantry.png

Netherlands-Flag-1-1.jpg
This unit is a part of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Leger
Netherlands-Flag-1-1.jpg

divider.png

[size=14pt]History
The contributions of the units of Dutch and Belgians have often been forgotten, during the battle of Waterloo the men of Bjitlandt's Netherland brigade, already under powered from the fighting at Quatre Bras which they had taken a large role in, were placed on a slope where artillery could fire upon them while the British troops were laying down safely behind the hill. When French infantry attacked, the battered Dutch-Belgians fired upon them but eventually started to give way. But Lieutenant Hope of British 92nd Foot writes, "The Belgians were assailed with terrible fury and returned the fire of the enemy for some time with great spirit. The rest of the brigade fell back except for one battalion of Belgians, the 7de Bataljon.

The 7de at the time wore coats of dark blue coats with white facings and wore the 'Belgic shako.' The facings on the shako varied in color, white for center companies, red for grenadier companies and green for flanquer companies. And they wore grey pantaloons and most wore gaiters as well. All Netherlands infantry at the time used the British Brown Bess musket except for a few who were equipped with French muskets which would eventually become the standard small arm of Netherlands infantry under the name 'Model 1815'. Men in Grenadier and Flanquer companies had shoulder rolls on their coats but the center companies did not.

One of the best Netherland infantry units was the 7de Bataljon van lijn (7th Line Battalion). Especially the officers were excellent. Commander F. C. Vandensande served in the French 112th Line Infantry Regiment, and was awarded with Légion d’Honneur. Captain L’Olivier served in the French 7th Line Infantry Regiment as commander of grenadier company. Captain Nieuport served in the French 13th Tirailleur Regiment of Young Guard. Lieutenant Nieulandt served in the 1st Regiment of Honor Guard. Lieutenant Scheltens served in the famous Grenadiers of Old Guard.

At the offset of the battle the French, thinking that they had many sympathizers in Belgium, would call across the field shouting "Brave Belgians! Brave Belgians! Come, fight with us!" Not one Belgian crossed the field to join the ranks of the French.

Men like Sibourne or Lord General Uxbridge would downplay the role of the Dutch-Belgians, calling them "cowards with no stomach to fight" yet Wellington praised them and their valiance. The 2de Belgische Karabiniers, acting on their own initiative, pursued the retreating French cavalry all the way off the field, led personally by their Crown Prince, William II. The 8th Belgian Hussars took 65% casualties yet they fought on with "insane gallantry" when they charged into French lancers to cover the retreat of fleeing British heavy cavalry. And none can forget the glory that took place when Major General Trip's Dutch Heavy Cavalry Brigade consisting of the 1st (Dutch) 2nd (Belgian) and 3rd (Dutch) Carabinier regiments, counter charged the massive French cuirassier attack on the allied left flank.

English officer, Captain Batty of the Grenadier Guards, declared that he saw 'a Belgian cavalry regiment fight valiantly with the cuiassiers in a manner never to be forgotten.'

The words describing the Netherlands and French setbacks of failures are expressive :
- "trashed"
- "mauled"
- "utterly routed"
- "fled in complete panic"
- "fleeing left and right"
- "whole formations broke"
- "...the carnage was awful..." - Jac Weller
- "the terror stricken masses" - Siborne
- and my favorite: "French officers were brought up
from the hollow in great numbers, delivering up their swords."

British setbacks are described in either dry or mild words:
- "retiring to safety in an irregular manner" - an NCO, British Foot Guard
- "taking a better position in the rear"
- "falling back rapidly"
- "moved to the rear"
- "tactically out manoeuvred"
- and my favorite: "an advance to the rear in force"​

In short, the Dutch and Belgian units who fought at Waterloo (the Belgians in particular) showed that they would fight like madmen to protect their country and their freedom but due to a long British-Dutch rivalry and British patriotism, the role of the Dutch and Belgian units was played down to make them appear as cowards and weaklings but it is entirely untrue.

divider.png

Ranks
Officers
Majoor (Maj)
Kapitein (Kpt)
Luitenant (LT)

NCOs
Sergeant (Sgt)

Rankers
Korporaal (Kpl)
Soldaat der 1st Klasse (1steSdt)
Soldaat (Sdt)
Rekruut (Rkt)

divider.png

[size=14pt]Roster
Majoor Crook
United%20States%20of%20America.png

Kapitein Leo
Colombia.png

Luitenant Kale

Korporaal Skrimly

Soldaat Fryz

Soldaat GalenKramis
Sweden.png

Soldaat Sparrow
Sweden.png

Soldaat Rubiks
United%20Kingdom.png

divider.png

Rules

Rule 1) Do as you're told
Rule 2) Have pride in all you do
Rule 3) No killing person(s) on our side
Rule 4) No teamkilling in battle
Rule 5) If you cannot make training notify me

divider.png

Application Form
Code:
In game name:
Steam name:
Name of your musket:
Previous regiments:

Rules:
1) Do as you are told
2) Have pride in all you do
3) No killing person(s) on our side
4) No team killing in battle
5) If you cannot make training notify me
[center][IMG]http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae357/BloodyGlaives/Dellevoet-1.jpg[/IMG][center]

In game name: Colem3n
Steam name: colemancgs
Name of your horse:Bears
Nationality:U.S
Previous regiments:This is my first Regiment

steam name: Leo
Horsie name: Colombia
Nationality:Colombia! Suth america
Previus regiment: UK regiment (cant remember the name)

leonidas_co said:
steam name: Leo
Horsie name: Colombia
Nationality:Colombia! Suth america
Previus regiment: UK regiment (cant remember the name)
Accepted, your new tags are 2de_Lijn_Kpt_Simon

KaleLord said:
In game name: Kale
Steam name: kalelord
Name of your horse: Lucifer
Nationality: US
Previous regiments: 41st, 23rd (i think), 2nd/Caz
Accepted your tags are 2de_Lijn_LT_Kale

In game name: GUSTA
Steam name: Changes all the time, but steam account name I think is oatmeal255
Name of your horse: Dumpster
Nationality: Canada
Previous regiments: No regiments

GUSTA said:
In game name: GUSTA
Steam name: Changes all the time, but steam account name I think is oatmeal255
Name of your horse: Dumpster
Nationality: Canada
Previous regiments: No regiments
Accepted new tags, for ts, and MM are 2de_Lijn_Kpt_GUSTA

In game name: Skrimly
Steam name: kgodtland
Name of your horse: Berry
Nationality: U.S.
Previous regiments: none

Skrimly said:
In game name: Skrimly
Steam name: kgodtland
Name of your horse: Berry
Nationality: U.S.
Previous regiments: none

Accepted Your new tags are 2de_Lijn_Kpl_Skrimly

Alright, boys. We are going to have training tonight at 1745EST. I want you all on TS, and ready to rock and roll.

In game name: Fryz
Steam name: Fryz2394
Name of your horse: Ketchup
Previous regiments: None

Fryz2394 said:
In game name: Fryz
Steam name: Fryz2394
Name of your horse: Ketchup
Previous regiments: None

Accepted, your new tags are 2de_Lijn_Sdt_Fryz