Standard Weapons Upgrade Project (v1.2 lite, pg36) Open Source read pg40

Users who are viewing this thread

If anyone wants to do a single model from an unclaimed section it would be OK. I'll take Section 9 also.

Another taste  :grin:
Made from the results of the khyber knife google image search

khyberknife.jpg

Wow - the one on the left is extremely nice.... I presume the one on the right is one from M&B native for a comparison??

I figured I'd drop in and offer a cleaver I made on a whim:

cleaver.png

I've already fixed the texture glitches on the handle since this screenshot was taken. Mind, I'm also giving this model to another project of mine (hence releasing it under the GNU GPL), so it's up to you if you want to use it.

Model is 76 tris, texture is 128x128.

Hagioscopically,
Winter

Thanks Winter for your generous offer, unfortunately I already made this one
cleavers.jpg

which, while different in design, I think is superior in texture. Please feel free to best it.

The out-vocabularized,
Talon

Highlander said:
just take a good photo for your texture. Sometimes that saves a lot of work, even if it could be called cheating. :razz:

I'm just learning how to create low-res textures from scratch, and Talon's textures don't look like photos either.

After some further nice-ifications, my cleaver's about as good as it's going to get:
cleaver.png

Chromatically,
Winter

I'm not up to date myself, but what kind of poly counts and texture sizes are you looking for? I might whip up a few things.

Nice work Talon, the texture looks amazing, but i'll consider the shape a little... i think it will look better with the regular cleaver form... IMO

Winter said:
Talon said:

Christ. How do you DO that?

I don't really like the shape, but the texture is gorgeous.

Coercively,
Winter

I don't really like the shape either, but I made it to match the photo :oops: . Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't, but this time it is. Might be able to do it from scratch, but as Highlander says, it saves a lot of time. I'll redo it though so the shape is better, and maybe the texture handmade, or more likely a compilation of edited photos.

Sketch said:
I'm not up to date myself, but what kind of poly counts and texture sizes are you looking for? I might whip up a few things.
Use whatever texture size you need to to make it look good. For Section 9 I'm using a 1024x1024 but I can get this and probably another section's worth onto it. On Section 8 I used a 512x512. Polys should be higher than native, but not obsene. For instance, most native round things are hexagons, I made the lance 12 sided becuase it is large, but on something smaller such as a sword grip I would only increase it to 8. Make more realistic shapes but remember that most fine detail can done in texturing. With the two pictured khyber knives, native is 114 and mine is 189. Cleavers: native is 168, mine is 144. Great Lances: native is 266, mine is 600, but you don't see too many of them ingame. The short answer is, there are no specific guidelines, but use good sense.
Talon under Tahoma

Nice models. I hope you are continuing this, even though you are not receiving much help?

Thanks for the support. I am working on it slowly. It will get done, even if I have to do the whole thing myself. But I assumed that people would want to help more than they have.

Talon said:
Thanks for the support. I am working on it slowly. It will get done, even if I have to do the whole thing myself. But I assumed that people would want to help more than they have.

Never assume this, ever. It pretty much follows an inverse linear scale. The more interesting your project is, the less help you're going to get for it.

Trustily,
Winter

Back
Top Bottom