AAR: Terich

Users who are viewing this thread

AAR: Terich

Hello and welcome to my AAR. (Yes, another one.) It's my first one so bear with me.  :lol:

* I would like to say, that I (unfortunately) have to attend school and do other things. So the schedule for this AAR might be a little irregular. I will try and write as often as I can.

The protagonist is a vaegir hunter named Terich from the village of Uslum, far in the tundra. He always thought he would be content to live as a hunter, poaching game that nobody cared about. But one day in his early 20's he realized that he no longer wanted to stay in a small village. He was tired of cold huts and the little payment he got for his game. He decided to join the army, for no other reason then to experience something else.

For inspiration I would like to thank the whole team from the Freelancer mod. (love it.) Which i will use during this AAR.

I would also like to thank Shadow-Seeker, who has his own freelancer AAR. Read it here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,216400.0.html

[size=24pt]Prologue

March 23, 1257.

This is my first time writing in a journal. I bought it with my recent payment from the hides I sold. You know, there was a time when I really thought that I wanted to be a hunter, forever. But that time is over. I took my bow, my clothes, my money, and left Uslum. I'm going to join the army, and I'm going to fight. I can shoot an animal from 100 yards away, is a man any different? I'm going to sign up in King Yaroglek's royal army. Now, my journey begins.

Chapter 1: Enlistment

March 23, 1257.

I've finally made it to Reyvadin. And wow, what a sight! When I first saw the tall stone walls around the city, I was stunned. I was twice as shocked when I entered the city and saw how big it was! I managed to wander around till I found a tavern and I spent the night there. I walked out in the morning, when some thug attacked me, on the first day! I managed to shoot him 3 times before he finally died. Then a man who apparently is a merchant came and said he had a proposition for me. I entered his house and he spoke.

" Hello stranger. I know this must be surprising for you, but the way you killed that bandit, I can tell that you are a capable warrior."

I replied. "Oh. Well, thanks."

" Now, as I said before, I have a proposition for you. Some bandits have kidnapped my brother, and I need you to rescue him."

I thought about it, but despite my wish to help I knew I could not. I was on a mission.

"I'm sorry, I cannot. I suggest you speak to the local guards."

He put on a look of despair. But I left almost as soon as I was done speaking. I walked to the castle and told the guard I had to speak with King Yaroglek. Surprisingly, he let me in. He seemed a little tipsy at the time, now that I think about it. I entered the throne room and walked up to King Yaroglek.

" My lord, I would like to enlist in your army."

" Oh? And what brings you to the army?"

" I'm not sure my lord, I just know I have nowhere else to go."

" Very well, I'll take you on as a recruit. You will have pay and food. And remember, I reward those who serve me well."

" Yes, my lord."

mb_warband2012-02-1713-36-13-13.jpg
This is Terich

Chapter 2: First Days

March 27, 1257.

Today we looted Mechin, a nord village bordering the Swadians. We could see some nord lords watching us, but they didn't attack as our army was too strong for them. I feel bad for the villagers but I also know that I should expect this in the life of a soldier.

March 30, 1257.

Ismirala castle came under siege and King Yaroglek attempted to reach it. However, the nords were lying in wait for us the whole time. They pounced on our army with twice as many troops as our own. As we assembled I left my bow behind and joined the other infantry.

We marched towards them. Closer, closer, and then we charged! It was mayhem, all hell broke loose! I was on the left flank, and I tried to retreat back to the center, when a nord footman got in my way! Without thinking I swung my axe up and down, up and down. Before I knew it he was dead. I kept running and killed 2 more. I was in a lust hacking everywhere and suddenly everything went black when a nordic warrior hit my head with the blunt side of his axe.

I remember waking up just in time to be taken prisoner by the nords. I traveled with them for a few hours before the Vaegir lords finally showed up and attacked. I took my chance and ran. I am now heading back to Reyvadin to meet King Yaroglek once again.

First to comment. I like it  :smile:. Too bad you didn't conquered Ismirala. What are you planning to do now?

Chapter 3: Waiting

April 2, 1257.

After days of waiting the king finally appeared back in Reyvadin. I signed up once more and there was a slight glow in his eyes when he learned that I had been waiting for him. To be honest I didn't really know what else to do. From what I can tell Yaroglek isn't going anywhere fast before recruiting an army.

April 7, 1257.

Yaroglek hasn't moved an inch, even after getting word that Boyar Doru had besieged Alburq Castle. I'm not quite sure what to do. I've been practicing my archery, but it's starting to get repetitive. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I want to fight again.

April 10, 1257.

Alburq Castle has been taken over successfully, and awarded to Boyar Ralcha. Yaroglek is still holed up in the keep.

*Later at night*

On my way to the marketplace I was finally, err unfortunately, attacked by a pair of bandits with bows! I shot them down and grabbed a purse of gold they had.

April 11, 1257.

The Nords have taken Radoghir Castle and Yaroglek STILL won't move! I'm starting to wonder if the army life is really very interesting at all.

April 13, 1257.

I've had enough. If Yaroglek isn't going to do anything, I will. I walked up to him and said I was leaving his service. I'm going to find the marshal or somebody who actually cares what is happening to his kingdom and enlist with him.

"My lord, I would like to retire from your service."

He looked slightly saddened.

"Oh. Very well, you are relieved of duty. I had great hopes for you Terich."

I prefer activity to hopes.

April 16, 1257.

After days of searching, one of which involved helping Boyar Rudin fight some bandits, and another day involving being dragged around by sea raiders, I finally managed to find a lord with a sizable party. I signed up with Boyar Doru, who I think is the marshal.

The thing about Yaroglek is completely true.  :lol: I didn't want the entire chapter to be waiting so I left Yaroglek for the marshal. (who i think is doru.)

*Editors Note: Ok, I got lucky. Doru is the Marshal.*

Chapter 4: Vaegir Offensive

April 17, 1257.

Looks like I made the right choice in Boyar Doru. One day after signing up and he's already assembled the army. I don't know where we're heading, but anyplace is better than Reyvadin right now.

April 23, 1257.

We've reached the village of Fearichen. We've been chasing after some nord lords for a while but eventually we had to give up. Boyar Doru ordered us to burn the village to the ground.

" March into the center! Take what you can, and burn the rest!"

I felt bad for the villagers, so I took it easy. But I did what I had to. I had to bring back some food so the officers wouldn't get suspicious.
mb_warband2012-02-1810-53-54-71.jpg

April 25, 1257.

We've headen on from Fearichen deeper into Nord territory. We saw some nord parties but they were scattered and disorganized and they flee'd. Doru started to do the same thing to Fenada we did to Fearichen. I know that looting villages and stealing supplies helps our cause, but I can't help but feel like we're not waging war on the Nords. We're waging war on the peasants. Still, I am loyal to my homeland and Doru.

Later while looting the village we see a battle being fought near us. I see the banners of a few Vaegir lords, and the unmistakable banner of King Ragnar. Most of the lords continue on looting.

April 26, 1257.

Yes! Finally some real action! Once we finished in Fenada Boyar Doru started heading back into Vaegir territory. At first I had flashbacks of staying in a boring castle for days, but then he started heading towards the Nordic Peninsula. I realized what was happening just before it happened. We are besieging Wercheg!

April 27, 1257.

We are still besieging Wercheg. But the real reason I'm writing now is because I've been promoted, to footman! The new equipment isn't much better than before but at least I'm getting some recognition.

April 28, 1257.

I have had it. We were happily besieging Wercheg when suddenly all the lords ran away. You might think. "Oh, did the Nords pull a counter-attack or something?" Well NO. All the lords just parted ways and ran back to their individual estates. I'm starting to think that these lords might be...well...ehm... a little cowardly.

If something like this happens one more time, I'm deserting.

*Editors note: I'm considering this. The AI are supposed to be stupid, but this just isn't working. I'll try and tweak around with the mod changes, but if something stupid like abandoning a siege for no reason happens, I'm going to join somebody else like the nords maybe.

Chapter 5: Defeat in the Tourneys

April 29, 1257.

Doru is back to looting villages, on our own this time. This time it's Ruvar, a village under the control of Wercheg.

May 1, 1257.

We've traveled all the way to Reyvadin. Apparently there's a feast going on. They're saying that whoever gets to the semi-finals or higher in the tournament will be invited to the feast. Bets and challenges are going on between the men. I walked into the city with determination. I was going to win that tournament. *Author's Note: I'm fairly good in MP, so SP isn't that much of a problem, but since Terich is a new character tournaments are more difficult than usual.*

I bet 100 on myself in the first round.
mb_warband2012-02-1814-12-57-73.jpg

I beat Dranton!
mb_warband2012-02-1814-13-25-69.jpg
But eventually I was knocked down.
mb_warband2012-02-1814-13-48-00.jpg
I didn't have much cash so I could only bet 50 on myself in the 2nd round. I was the only one on my team without a horse so I was abandoned and got knocked down without defeating anyone.
mb_warband2012-02-1814-14-31-15.jpg

So I lost the tournament and I didn't get invited to the feast. But I made it past the first round. That's a start, and I plan to try again.

*Later in the Afternoon*

The tournament is open again. I can't bet much money on myself, but I can still get into the feast.

I bet 20 on myself in the first round. I was defeated but I got 2 others and passed through to the next round.
mb_warband2012-02-1814-21-51-70.jpg

I bet 10 on myself in the 2nd round. I beat one person but got slammed in the face by King Yaroglek (NOW he moves) and I was eliminated.
mb_warband2012-02-1814-23-55-41.jpg

*Author's Note: For some reason, the shield-bash was turned on, and that really messed me up.*

So I had the same result. The feast just ended and Doru is heading back to Bulugha Castle. I gave it my best, I'll try again someday.

Chapter 6: Training

May 3, 1257.

It's morning now. We ambushed a group of 10 sea raiders. I shot a few arrows but the real damage was done by our cavalry.

We've just ambushed ANOTHER group of sea raiders. If it were up to me we would be fighting their cousins, the nords.

May 4, 1257.

I've been promoted to a skirmisher! Finally a specialized rank... I'm starting to get some authority here. Hopefully I'll survive long enough to become a marksmen.

May 7, 1257.

Today I realized that since I've been promoted 2 times, I'm starting to become a soldier. I have some small experience, but I need to become more professional. Sure, I'm getting used to the marching, and the fighting, but it's still not enough. My skills in hunting can only take me so far. I talked to Boyar Doru and requested some personal leave.

"My lord, may I request some personal leave in order to train myself further in martial skills."

"Hmm. A decision that has merit. Very well, you may have 2 weeks leave. If you want to improve your skills in battle I suggest you head to the nearby training field, near Ruvar."

"Thank you my lord."

I did as Boyar Doru suggested and headed to the training field. There I met a stern but kind enough trainer. He told me about the 4 tiers of training he had at his training field. I told him I would like to try.

"Very well, your first opponents will be novice fighters, such as yourself."

"Alright."

I first went against a man with a staff. He blocked many times and it was a tough fight, but I won. *damn shield bash!!!*
mb_warband2012-02-1814-46-58-72.jpg
My first Victory!

My second foe had a shield and sword, and I had a staff. I beat him too. My 3rd and final novice opponent I defeated with relative ease. Now I am moving on to regular fighters.

I defeated my 1st regular fighter with a sword and shield. *managed to not use the shield bash.* The 2nd regular fighter was even easier than the 1st one. In my 3rd fight I got a 2-handed sword and clubbed that opponent in the face.

I beat the first veteran fighter pretty easily, but the 2nd one attacked with near lighting speed. I managed to block it though, so he lost his advantage. I beat the 3rd veteran without incident.

Now I am fighting the champions. These will be tough fights. But I'm ready.
mb_warband2012-02-1815-02-22-75.jpg
mb_warband2012-02-1815-02-03-01.jpg
mb_warband2012-02-1815-01-55-48.jpg

Whew. Those were some of the most challenging fights I've had in a long time. But I did it. I have entered the circle of champions at the training field. Now I'm going to practice my archery. I will probably return to Boyar Doru in a couple of days. And I'll be ready to fight, like a soldier.

First to comment of course. What I think? Well, not bad, IT'S AWESOMEEEE!!!!!!!

And read my story if you want.

Back
Top Bottom