Any linebattle-like stuff planned?

Users who are viewing this thread

perkins said:
My comment was ignored :sad:
Woops, sorry Herr Wolfeh.

perkins said:
What you could do is get 100 players and organise them into different units and host an invasion event using the masive map with all cannons and a massive castle on it (ive forgoten the name of the map)
Im up for it ^^

I think for formation to work, you need to pull a Vikingr. That mod made everyone  so slow, that it wasn't as easy to flank formations. It also had overhead stab which made two-rank melee worked.

Warband wasn't that well designed for formations, so a lot of tweaks need to be made.

For now, I'd settle for some role-playing events. :grin:

Kawee said:
I think for formation to work, you need to pull a Vikingr. That mod made everyone  so slow, that it wasn't as easy to flank formations. It also had overhead stab which made two-rank melee worked.

Warband wasn't that well designed for formations, so a lot of tweaks need to be made.

For now, I'd settle for some role-playing events. :grin:
as i said use the invasion game mode and have 100+ players defending that massive castle with all the cannons etc on it

Look honestly I am sure that clan battles are not going to literally be just a clan vs a clan. If you look in the clan section it tells what clan uses what troop type, and plus there are only a few clans atm. Way I see it is that battles between clans will be large scale like in MM. I believe that the battles will end up large scale. For example my clan is uses the Sweden faction, but we are diverse with units, and the other 2 american clans (Who are apart of same community) use cossacks and ottomans and they also are diverse. We play together alot so if a clan battle was to occure with one another it would end up being a 2v1 since we have been making alliances and breaking alliances with one another. So just based on this system that is going on with the current NA clans so far I would understand if a system of treaties and alliances will be used with all clans as the Mod develops and grows. Plus the fact that the mod allows 2 factions on a team at once makes clan teamwork so much better since we can use our own factions in a battle against one another.

So in end result we should not call clan battles "Line-Battles" a more appropriate term would be a Faction or Faction's battle so we stop misinterpreting this mod with MM and all that MM stands for. Since as it was stated before that this is not MM, this has swords, cavaly, bows, cannons, and boats.

Well, now its is time for my worthless opinion,
Lines, squares, volleys, they are great, fun and accurate (not saying accuracy is fun but y'never know). Big blobs wandering round the place doin' what ever they feel like, nah...

on another point, shouldn't line infantry regiment be composed of half pikes and half gunners and a single captain, as it is more accurate and would allow regiments to develop new formations and their own way to form up a Pike-and-Shotte line. it would be fun. plus it would be more fun than just a pike regiment or a musket regiment, one would be destroyed at range (the pikes) the other destroyed by horses (the Muskets). Just thought, rather than lb, (line battle) it could be a sb (shotte battles)

Also, as for the composition of armies and balancing issues, each army should have its own strict unit list, for example, Poland must only have 1 unit of Hussars as they are very, very powerful, The Tartars must only have 4 units of common horse archers, rather than a massive army of them etc, Sweden must only have...  the list can go on. the armies would be really planned out, 4 cav regiments, 6 pike and shotte regiments, 1 engineer, 1 skirmisher, etc

Jus' my thoughts, I hope formations prevail over tactical (*sigh*) blobs,

Thanks for readin'

Rhudda Ar Clogyn Barfau said:
Lines, squares, volleys, they are great, fun and accurate (not saying accuracy is fun but y'never know). Big blobs wandering round the place doin' what ever they feel like, nah...

on another point, shouldn't line infantry regiment be composed of half pikes and half gunners and a single captain, as it is more accurate and would allow regiments to develop new formations and their own way to form up a Pike-and-Shotte line. it would be fun. plus it would be more fun than just a pike regiment or a musket regiment, one would be destroyed at range (the pikes) the other destroyed by horses (the Muskets). Just thought, rather than lb, (line battle) it could be a sb (shotte battles)

Also, as for the composition of armies and balancing issues, each army should have its own strict unit list, for example, Poland must only have 1 unit of Hussars as they are very, very powerful, The Tartars must only have 4 units of common horse archers, rather than a massive army of them etc, Sweden must only have...  the list can go on. the armies would be really planned out, 4 cav regiments, 6 pike and shotte regiments, 1 engineer, 1 skirmisher, etc

Thanks for readin'
the sb ideas good but imposing strict rules isnt... thats what ruined MM and threatens to ruin MnG (if my legion branches to this mod we will concist of cav, musket and inf

Thanks for readin'

I'm planning on making a mix of pikeman and musketeers. Not a square, but a line which can advance and deploy. That way, not only can the muskeers be protected from cavarly, pikeman can also take bullets for our muskets  :mrgreen:
Simply, a fully indepent unit, I may even take some carabiniers or raiders.

I do also agree about the rules; please, don't make them strict and fair and anything, like don't shoot on officers, no shooting from horseback. It ruines the fun.  :roll:

I don't mean dreadfully awfully strict, just bendable rules, don't want everyone goin' round as a hussar or with all the best equipment possible, may sound harsh but look at the videos of line battles posted, sweden obviously has a elite armoured line and some normal ones.

Pike and muskets should be ingrated within the same line I presume. squares, pikes mixed on the insiade, on the outside, whatever just have fun making new formations.

If I was in charge I would encourage shooting from horse back, killing officers and shooting during charges. I am just being specific to the 'bendable' composition of armies,

I don't mean dreadfully awfully strict, just bendable rules, don't want everyone goin' round as a hussar or with all the best equipment possible, may sound harsh but look at the videos of line battles posted, sweden obviously has a elite armoured line and some normal ones.

Pike and muskets should be ingrated within the same line I presume.

If I was in charge I would encourage shooting from horse back, killing officers and shooting during charges. I am just being specific to the 'bendable' composition of armies,

I'm planning on having pikemen in front of musketeers to shorten the line and keep things manouvreable.
some Jägers to annoy the enemy and some light cavarly to finish them off. Damn, I can't wait to form the battalion  :mrgreen:

Jus' theought that this may be of interest to those who are into formations and specifically formations that may be used in a potential SB, http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/military/tactics.htm

I would keep pike men on either side of my muskets who would be in the centre, a long line is better in my opinion. plus I think caracoles would be quite cool to see as well.

anyways, rules I tink would be very few in number, unless people are trying to recreate a historical sb ofcourse, then rules would be more specific. regiments should generally be allowed to play as their favoured unit, no matter what.

I'm thinking that it all depends upon scale. Sure, if there are like 6 musketeers the musketeers aren't going to form a line to shoot, that would be dumb. In fact it's dumb in MM, the reason you form up is to keep the large group together as a mass- even though it makes you a much easier target.

So for small server stuff, tactics would be different. Skirmishing, retreating, staggering, hidding, etc. But I think that, if you read the descriptions of units, they're sort of geared towards fighting in tandem. They can all work together.

----

I'm invisioning gun wielding troops dug in behind trenches by cannons, putting volleys into advancing masses and alternating in 2 fire groups (lines) with dismounted archers helping keep the pressure up. Now that's hellah more complex than MM's "stand-and-shoot", but that also makes it more interesting.

Also, to give time for the engineers to dig in, we could go out into staggered crouching lines and skirmish a bit with the enemy, perhaps the front line charging with melee and throwing knives whilst the bulk of the marksmen retreated to the trench.

Back
Top Bottom