What do you read?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rando

Recruit
After reading some of the Harry Potter thread, it got me curious as to what people actually read for recreation (not your biology text book, unless your really into that sort of thing).

Personnally, English class ruined reading for me. All those "classics" bored me to sparknotes. Thinking that, "If that was the best literature has to offer, I'll stick to TV and video games." Then one year my brother bought me a book written by Chuck Palahniuk called Choke. If you are not over 18 or have a weak stomach stay clear. However, that book sparked my interest into reading some of his other works and I have read all of them (except Fight Club, I hear the movie was better).

Anyways, I just wanted to get a feel of what others out there are actually reading and list some of your favorites.

Mine are: Survivor, by Palahniuk; Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson (which I highly recommend to any sci-fi lover); Jennifer Government, by Max Barry (good look at the world of tomorrow).

I read all kinds of things. I got started at a young age, previously hated reading, when I read the Hobbit (an old edition my grandmother gave me). I read LotR next, then a slew of other books. I have a sizable library (probably 200+ books, but I used to have more).

Still Reading:
Recluce series (forget the author, haven't read in years, though I believe his last name is Modesitt)
Incarnations of whatever by Piers Anthony (I've read all but the last two I think, haven't read them in years)
Xanth books by Piers Anthony (I started one of these years ago, but never finished)
The Obsidian something or other trilogy by someone (second book hasn't come out yet, though the first was great)
Sword of Truth series (read the 6th book, but haven't bothered to finish the 7th because the main character was annoying as hell)
Shanara books by Terry Brooks (never finished the first one)
Mahabharata novelized version by Krishna Dharma (about half way through this mammoth book, but decided to take a break so I can enjoy it over a longer period, highly recommended)
Wheel of Time series (I've read the tenth one, waiting for the eleventh).
Otherland (still have yet to finish the 3rd and fourth books, because I heard (in detail) that they were disappointing)

Just Finished:
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series by Fritz Leiber (I found a matching set of paper backs on eBay, all 30+ years old in good condition, I was amazed. Cost me ~$10)
"Grant Admiral Thrawn Trilogy", Star Wars by Timothy Zahn (highly recommend)

Currently Reading:
Jedi Academy trilogy, first book (don't recall the name) by Some Guy

That's a quick summary.

Best books i've read:
The ASOIAF books by George R. R. Martin.
I'm waiting for the next one, only 5 more months...

The Casca books by Barry Sadler are also very good.

Most resent:
Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind. It was ok, but not even close to ASOIAF.

And i got Op Firewall, Last light and Liberation day all by Andy McNab to read when i get some time.
Any good?

Mainly Sci-fi and fantasy, with some crime. Pratchett, Robin Hobb, Jean Auel, various Star Trek writers, Robert Holdstock who is one of the best fantasy writers in England today, Robert Jordan (whom, after reading all 10 of his current WoT books, I now loathe with a passion) and Tolkien are all on my6 bookshelf, though Tad Williams and Robert Westall are also two of my favourite authors, even though I don't own any of their books. Crime/detective stories I like include books by Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (namely Sherlock Holmes).

I read all types of books. Fiction, nonfiction, serious lit, casual stuff, you name it. Some recent books:

*Simon Scarrow's novels on Rome & Britain: good, lightweight historical action stories about legionaries Macro and Cato
*Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels: read altogether they do attain a dramatic intensity that individually they may not have.
*Alan Furst: The Polish Officer, Kingdom of Shadows, Dark Star. Spy novels about pre-WW2 and its early years. Dense, subtle,atmospheric stuff.
*Jared Diamond: Collapse How Societies Choose to Fail.

And bunches of tech manuals and journals that I have to be aware of for work.

I mainly read fantasy and sci-fi books.

Dune by Frank Herbert is probably my favourte book. Others I like include: Lord of the Rings, Foundation by Issac Asimov (only been able to get the first :sad:), Disc World novels.
I also like crime mystery books by Agatha Cristie, and Sherlock Holmes books (the only crime books I've read).

I've always had a habit of reading at least 30 minutes before bed everyday. I usually read non-fiction, but i have seen some good fiction books. LotR obviously, but also stuff like nineteen eighty four, Thomas more's Utopia and stuff like that. Back at school a few years ago, we would have a reading task for the year. Read at least 5 books of different genres. Most people would recall books they have read over the last 5 years or lie completely about what they had read. I on the other hand had read 35 books that year and the teacher said it was the most eclectic bunch of books she had ever seen.

Every Star Wars and Forgotten Realms novel I can get my little fingers on. I particuarly like Timothy Zahn and Ed Greenwood's works.

Star wars is more suited to the cinema than it is to a book. I got halfway through the first of timothy's books, and became bored around about the time where some new monster was introduced called 'failure'. At least that's the phonetic spelling.

The Snow Warrior, by Don Dandrea ( I think, it's rather faded..)

The Godfather, Mario Puzo.. Well.. Pretty much anything by Mario Puzo.

Death of Kings - Iggulden or something. It's part of a series about ol' Julius C.

They Skystone - ? I don't remember.. but it's part of a series too..

They Skystone - ? I don't remember.. but it's part of a series too..

The Skystone - Jack WHYTE

One of my all time favs. All you total war rome people should give it a read, its about the time when Rome leaves Britain, with a bunch of Roman soldiers trying to create a life for themselves and keeping the old military traditions alive.
Its part of a series that talks about a realistic view of the arthurian legend. "The Skystone" refers to a meteor that fell to ground, that later is turned into a very famous sword :smile:

I've got "Uther" and "The Saxon Shore" as well, I think theres about 6 in the series.

Kamamura said:
Phillip K. **** (Scanner darkly is awesome!)

Is that one kind of rare or something? Because my brother owns many of ****'s stuff but never heard or that and same goes for my stepdad. The only reason I bring this up is because they are turning it into a movie (watch the trailer, very interesting animation). For those who don't know what I'm talking about check it out here.

Lost-Lamb said:
My pet project is reading the bible, just started the new testament

I'm just curious but, do you read it out of faith or entertainment?

Rando said:
I'm just curious but, do you read it out of faith or entertainment?
I'd say both. Altought my fate lies elsewhere. I am truly deeply against all religions, especially christianity, all branches. Heck I believe more in Santa than God. But how can I critisise something that I know nothing about?

Back
Top Bottom