Quick Questions/Quick Answers (Unofficial 'Ask Questions Here' Q&A Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Uhtred of Bebbanburg said:
I don't know what he could be selling that is so special. All the items in the game are listed and there is nothing particularly "mystic" about any of the items. 

But I'd totally buy a 99 accuracy bow though.

I wouldn't mind being able to buy black Khergit horseman armour.

Currently I have 2 towns and 5 castles. I get no, "none", rent from any of those locations. I have my own kingdom and am at war with all other factions.

1.) What do I need to do to get rent?
2.) How do I get rid of tax inefficiency? (Currently at -24%)

Roboto said:
Hanakoganei said:
Somebody may have already uploaded a pre-patched version. Could you link where you got it here so that these other people can use it too? I was particularly responding to their need for putting the .py file somewhere, which will do nothing unless you actually compile it with the rest of the source files. If it's already a pre-compiled .txt file, it should work with drag and drop, but it'll also negate any other mods you may have installed that modified the same file.

Found it at the floris mod pack at http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/3489/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fmbwarband%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D3489&pUp=1 To my knowledge it's the official mod. It's under "updates" and it's only menu.txt you need to replace.

That's where I downloaded it from. I guess I'll try just using the menus.txt file and ignore the .py file and see how it goes. Thanks.

TheAnyKey said:
Currently I have 2 towns and 5 castles. I get no, "none", rent from any of those locations. I have my own kingdom and am at war with all other factions.

There are a few things you can do.

1. Decrease the size of garrisons (or fill the bottom of the garrison with Tier 1 troops to keep up battle advantage.
2. Go change your domestic policy. Read the Floris Wiki on domestic policy to see what changes you can make to decrease tax inefficiency.
3. Use Tweak MB to change tax inefficiency.
4. Give some of your castles to a lord and let him deal with it. However, remember that policies you adopt which lower tax inefficiency for you raise it for your lords and lower their relationship.

When you first become a king you can set policy and change everything you want. After that you can only make incremental changes every couple weeks. So, do your research and think about the long game. Eventually, you will get lords and there's no point in making them hate you and then they take their castles when they leave (I don't even know if they can do that but I don't see why they can't).

Roboto said:
I don't know what he could be selling that is so special. All the items in the game are listed and there is nothing particularly "mystic" about any of the items. 

But I'd totally buy a 99 accuracy bow though.

I wouldn't mind being able to buy black Khergit horseman armour.

You can loot that you know?

TheAnyKey said:

There are a few things you can do.

1. Decrease the size of garrisons (or fill the bottom of the garrison with Tier 1 troops to keep up battle advantage.
2. Go change your domestic policy. Read the Floris Wiki on domestic policy to see what changes you can make to decrease tax inefficiency.
3. Use Tweak MB to change tax inefficiency.
4. Give some of your castles to a lord and let him deal with it. However, remember that policies you adopt which lower tax inefficiency for you raise it for your lords and lower their relationship.

When you first become a king you can set policy and change everything you want. After that you can only make incremental changes every couple weeks. So, do your research and think about the long game. Eventually, you will get lords and there's no point in making them hate you and then they take their castles when they leave (I don't even know if they can do that but I don't see why they can't).

How do I garrison mot cost efficiently? Do I only need a couple high tier, tier 7/6 troops on top of the garrison list and the rest can be hundreds/ thousands of tier 1 units, e.g. villagers? Would this defense be as effective as an equal amount of high level troops?

It's long been known in Warband that filling garrisons with T1 troops helps reduce the chances of it getting besieged as well, so that's generally what people do. The game calculates valid targets among all the possible castles and towns to see what has the least troops (among other calculations) instead of the actual total strength including levels and equipment. They won't be effective in actual combat but they will reduce the odds as well as buy plenty of time for you to arrive to defend.

What seems to happen as well is that the game will spawn the highest level troops first. Note that tiers are made up in Floris; the game cares more about their actual levels. This means that if you ride in to defend your castle with your high tier troops in your army while the T1 defenders (provided the castle belongs to you and no other participating lord is present) get spawned last. If another lord is in the castle his highest level troops will spawn too, the number of which depending on his Battle Advantage.

TheAnyKey said:

Usually if you open your finances tab during the week, it will incorrectly state that your castles and towns give 0 denars. But when the week ends and your finances show automatically, it's listed normally. Otherwise... I don't know why you're missing out on rents.

When I tell my troops to hold a position sometimes there is a second command that happens (. . .  and attack the enemy archers/cavalry/infantry).

Can anyone tell me why this happens and how I can control it or turn it off? I can't figure out why it happens but when it does it almost always leads to my troops being slaughtered.

I either need to know how to use it and control it or disable it.

What else does Prisoner Management besides increasing the number of prisoners you can have? Does it also increase the chance of capturing a lord after a battle?

When I tell my troops to hold a position sometimes there is a second command that happens (. . .  and attack the enemy archers/cavalry/infantry).

Can anyone tell me why this happens and how I can control it or turn it off? I can't figure out why it happens but when it does it almost always leads to my troops being slaughtered.

I'm not 100% sure but I think this happens when you target an enemy or their position. You can order them to regroup by telling them to hold a position back at base.

TheAnyKey said:
What else does Prisoner Management besides increasing the number of prisoners you can have? Does it also increase the chance of capturing a lord after a battle?
No skills exist that increase the chance of capturing a lord after battle, but Prisoner Management reduces the chance of them (and normal prisoners) escaping after you've already captured them, so it's still useful if you're waiting for a ransom. You don't want them escaping before then, etc.

Does PM also reduce the chance of prisoners escaping, when they are imprisoned, in a town or castle or just while they are with my group?

Trifler said:
Roboto said:
Hanakoganei said:
Somebody may have already uploaded a pre-patched version. Could you link where you got it here so that these other people can use it too? I was particularly responding to their need for putting the .py file somewhere, which will do nothing unless you actually compile it with the rest of the source files. If it's already a pre-compiled .txt file, it should work with drag and drop, but it'll also negate any other mods you may have installed that modified the same file.

Found it at the floris mod pack at http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/3489/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fmbwarband%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D3489&pUp=1 To my knowledge it's the official mod. It's under "updates" and it's only menu.txt you need to replace.

That's where I downloaded it from. I guess I'll try just using the menus.txt file and ignore the .py file and see how it goes. Thanks.
No worries, just replacing the txt file works great. And if you're still afraid, copy over your installation folder to some place and experiment with that. No chance of hurting your original game and saves.

Trifler said:
Trifler said:
I downloaded the butter fix patch and I correctly installed the text file, but I can't figure out where the module_game_menu.py file is supposed to go. I don't see a Source folder, nor do I see any files in any of the folders that end in .py. All the patch says is to place the files in the appropriate places. :razz:

Can someone please answer this so I can play? I just need to know where to put the .py file.
You don't need the .py files.  These were included for folks who wanted to incorporate the necessary fixes into their copies of the module system.  The text files include the compiled fixes and can directly replace your current text files.

TheAnyKey said:
If my healer, Jeremus, is knocked unconscious in battle, does his surgery skill still apply?

Yes. All skills apply if the companion or player is fit for battle at the beginning of each battle. If there is a second battle and Jeremus does not come back because he's wounded then you won't get his surgery bonus then.

First Aid skills increases the health of every companion who is wounded in a battle (whether he or she is knocked out or not). It is based on a percentage of the health they had at the start of the battle.

Even a PC with First Aid can come back after being knocked out in a battle (so long as he retreats immediately from battle after being knocked out).  It requires that either his First Aid be high enough to restore enough health after a battle and or his starting health be sufficient enough for the First Aid percentage to restore to battle readiness.

Hanakoganei said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think this happens when you target an enemy or their position. You can order them to regroup by telling them to hold a position back at base.

TheAnyKey said:
No skills exist that increase the chance of capturing a lord after battle, but Prisoner Management reduces the chance of them (and normal prisoners) escaping after you've already captured them, so it's still useful if you're waiting for a ransom. You don't want them escaping before then, etc.

Sometimes the enemy is all the way across the map or can't even be seen because they are on the other side of a hill. I'm still positioning my troops and they just start running off. One time I was repositioning and by the time I got done I realized my whole army was off attacking the enemy instead of holding in a strong position and firing down on his troops.

And there are also times when I tell the infantry to hold position right on top of the enemy infantry or archers and I don't even get the message that they will then attack the infantry.

How can I just turn this off? Is it in mod options? Like disabling formations?  I don't even use formations anyway. The only thing I might want is shield wall but they never stand close enough together for a real shield wall and then they end up dancing around and doing stupid stuff.

You can order them to move closer together though. My Nord shield wall used to be pretty terrifying because of how nearly impenetrable their formation was.

Anyway I don't think you can turn it off.

How does one improve Lord relations reliably as a single female ruler? I've little interest in marriage as only low renown vassals would do it, so no feasts for me.

I can't figure out how to properly send gifts either, as the lords dislike them and they are expensive.

Back
Top Bottom