Quick Questions/Quick Answers (Unofficial 'Ask Questions Here' Q&A Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

This is sort of different question, not gameplay related.

I am interested in adding my own 3D assets to the game (new items, armors, shields, etc.)
I've already started reading on OpenBRF and how to ready-up 3D models for Warband.

1.) Do you need to alter character animation when adding helmets, armors, shields?
2.) Can you implement them as new items into Floris? If yes, will they be save-compatible?
3.) Would that require knowledge of modules / scripting?

Shinno said:
This is sort of different question, not gameplay related.

I am interested in adding my own 3D assets to the game (new items, armors, shields, etc.)
I've already started reading on OpenBRF and how to ready-up 3D models for Warband.

1.) Do you need to alter character animation when adding helmets, armors, shields?
2.) Can you implement them as new items into Floris? If yes, will they be save-compatible?
3.) Would that require knowledge of modules / scripting?

1) I´ll leave this one for someone with more knowledge.
2) Yes, however Floris already adds a great number of new items. This is a key factor when it comes to crashes, specially for people with low RAM. Adding new items is save compatible, however you must add them at the end of the list and you must wait 72 in-game hours for merchants to restock and show their new merchandise.
3) It can be done easily with Morgh´s tools.

Coming back to this awesome mod after 2 year's break, this time with a steam version so here's a quick question:

if i disable the companion complaints under mod options, does that count as cheating and will it disable steam achievements for the current save?

I guess I have another question:

It says that I gain right to rule if my companions get married. How do I get my companions to marry?

[quote author=Articulo34]
2) Yes, however Floris already adds a great number of new items. This is a key factor when it comes to crashes, specially for people with low RAM. Adding new items is save compatible, however you must add them at the end of the list and you must wait 72 in-game hours for merchants to restock and show their new merchandise.
[/quote]

You are right, but I feel like there is low variety of items in the end-game tier of items.
I'd like to expand on that.

krnja21 said:
Coming back to this awesome mod after 2 year's break, this time with a steam version so here's a quick question:

if i disable the companion complaints under mod options, does that count as cheating and will it disable steam achievements for the current save?
Nope. As long as cheats are not enabled in the launcher, nothing you do in-game will count as cheating even if you make a script in the mod that gives you a million denars, etc.

Maugomale said:
Any chance of incompatibility due to the recent updates to the Steam version?

Also, does TweakMB work with 2.55?
There should be no incompatibility whatsoever (I've tried it).

TweakMB will work with 2.55 if you select 2.54 (as the base template thingy at startup). 2.55 only has minor changes from 2.54 and should mostly be compatible with TweakMB's tweaks. In case of any changes that TweakMB won't know about, that option will be grayed out. But from what I can see so far most of the tweaks are largely functional. I haven't fully tested all of them in-game but yeah it shouldn't cause problems as far as I know. If the tweak were not compatible (like the lines were different) TweakMB disables them.

Is there a guide or anything on how to add new/custom companions to floris modpack, I saw one guide for adding to native (haven't read through it yet though) but what would I need to add companions to Floris instead of native?

Thanks

It's mostly the same but you'll be using the Dev Suite that comes with the Floris installation instead of the Native Module System.

I strongly recommend you learn the basics from the Native tutorial first. The main difference aside from all the new features and items that Floris adds is the compilation method. Otherwise it's the same in terms of syntax and methodology.

There are even sample companions commented out in the Dev Suite that you can simply edit. You still need to edit the other things as detailed in the Native tutorial, especially the dialogs.

Thank you  :lol:, I ended up just undoing all the commented out companions for now, personally right now I'm just cheating with export/import and turning them all godlike characters heh.

I did run into a extremely odd problem after compiling it though, where every time I would start a game, it would crash and say "Unexpected ending in 'troops.txt'.

I have no idea why the module compiling caused it but in troops.txt
"trp_npc27 Delia 0 268435473 0 0 1 0 0"
needed to be changed to
"trp_npc27 Delia Delia 0 268435473 0 0 1 0 0"

I think I lucked out pretty well noticing that, which just completely fixed the problem. (Seriously, I'm still flabbergasted it utterly fixed what could have been a problem that would have forced me to delete and reinstall the modpack.)

Just mentioning in case anyone else wants to simply uncomment all the Extra Companions from the source.

Also if you want to be able to export/import your characters WindyPlains explains how in this post
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=288440.0

(Serious note, I've only started playing M&B for the past couple days and I've seen WindyPlains all over the place posting helpful posts and if you read this WP, major props to you)

Enofel said:
(Serious note, I've only started playing M&B for the past couple days and I've seen WindyPlains all over the place posting helpful posts and if you read this WP, major props to you)
Well, Windyplains is on the core team.

Shinno said:
If your and your companions' riding skill is marked in red, does that mean their equipment is too heavy? How does it affect the skill?
Yup. It's that encumbrance feature (you can turn it off in mod options if you want). It affects them the same way it affects the player. Lower riding skill reduces their speed and turn rate on horse. It isn't too big an issue in most cases but it will matter when they face fast riders in skirmishes.

You can't equip a horse above that riding skill on them after their skill is lowered either (but you can equip the horse first then their armor; it won't unequip the horse).

Thanks for the answer.

Yesterday I've noticed that joining a marshal lord in his campaign can be really annoying. It's not very well thought of in general.
First of all, when they ask you to scout out the area, by the time you come back they are long gone and without map cheat good luck finding them again.
Secondly, sometimes they ask you to bring a cattle to feed their soldiers, but even if you manage to quickly get some from the nearby village, trying to chase them down while steering the damn cattle to them, by the time the cattle even gets close the quest expires and so does the campaign (for you).

Also, the marshal's summon letter to you seem to expire within a few hours sometimes (despite the questlog saying you have 4 days). So you don't even get the change to get to them.

Yeah those are not really Floris's fault though. That's how it is in Native. Granted, Floris/Diplomacy could've fixed it, but for the most part it's issues with the base game.

As for the cattle thing, it takes some getting used to but it gets super easy later on. I don't even have to think about it anymore. It really helps if you have a small and fast army instead of a big slow one. There's a lot of ways to speed up your movement on the world map, but army size is the simplest to adjust, though also possibly a fairly large sacrifice depending on your role in your faction's military strength.

Usable in theory, but not necessary. I haven't tried using it on the latest Warband version yet. I think it requires you to use 1.153, because I still have a 1.153 installation here with WSE.

Floris itself is pretty stable for a big mod. You don't really need WSE. It isn't the same as Skyrim/Fallout modding where script extenders are needed to keep everything in check. Floris's errors are few and mostly non-fatal as long as you don't mess with the .txt files without knowing what you're doing. The game engine doesn't actually crash a lot, at least for me. I play with Floris even with massive tweaks and complete overhauls, and other mods, and I have never seen the game crash, personally. Worst thing that's ever happened to me was back when there was a texture error for one of the Rhodok armors, but that didn't cause the game to crash.

Thanks, I have last question ( for today  :smile: )
How do recruiters work, do they actually go around villages acquiring recruits? How come that sometimes when I send out recruiters, they just standstill in one spot and refuse to move?

Yes they go around villages acquiring recruits. If you've already taken all the available recruits from all the valid villages he won't have anywhere to go lol. So he'll hang out at a village until recruits become available again (or hang out at the castle he's coming from if no villages have any recruits).

The recruits he gets from villages are the same ones you can recruit yourself. They're a shared value so you won't get more than the number of recruits possible from that village.

Also because of this it's not a good idea to ask him to get recruits from factions you're currently at war with because they will attack him on sight.

One last thing. He's usually fast enough to avoid bandits but it's also a good idea to try to make sure the area you're trying to recruit from (hopefully your own faction) is clear of most bandits. It'd be a waste to get 50 new recruits slaughtered by a bandit party.

Back
Top Bottom