Regarding Éafanheall Event

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Éadríc,

I must first congratulate you for having the audacity to host an event in Vikingr. It is a difficult to co-ordinate and organise so many people into such a short space of time. I sincerely hope for more, sincerely... However, there were some serious issues with tonight's event.

Time

- For those of us early, we were waiting from 5:30pm right through to 7pm, for an event that was slated to begin at 6pm. I fully admit the very likely possibility of an event running twenty minutes late but a little over an hour is calling it a little too tight. I am not sure what caused such heavy delays; clarification from Éadríc or Moeck would be great.
- We do not need /x/ amount of 'practice' rounds beyond the general melee that builds in the pre-rounds before the event. I cannot even begin to surmise how frustrating it was, at 7:15pm, that we had two of three practice rounds left. To boot, we were fighting with 25 less players on an open map. Not fun.

Organisation

- The Engle were shifted from group channels to a mass channel and then back to group. I do advocate the use of group channels however, the leaders of each group, plus the event organisers, need to have working whisper links that have been set up before the event.
- Clarification on exactly what is happening, when and how. People, in their masses, are generally complete muppets and will fail to comprehend even the simplest of instructions. Don't let it happen, make it simple, make it happen. Have a structured organised list of what will happen, including round changes, in the OP of each event.

The Game

- Initial spawning was terrible. No one appreciates multiple map restarts, especially after waiting for an hour and then some. This probably needs some thought... It worked great when the classes were disabled and then opened up one by one.
- Don't need to worry about leader gold... 10,000 silver isn't much when leaders get armour free. Besides; they can take it on the second round.
- Siege or Battle? Decide! Barabas probably needs some hammertime with the module system, as well as productive critical suggestions from the Vikingr community.
- The map! Vikingr is all about tactical moving, in groups and with the right weapons. Tonight's map felt a little empty and didn't really give out the intense combat I think many were expecting.

There are probably other things to mention, no doubt others will chip in.

I think it is a wholly commendable thing that you have taken it upon yourself to run these events. Do not be discouraged! Work out the problems and fix them. People need to understand that it is an absolute pain in the ass to handle and manipulate 100+ players into proper channels and groups. Everyone must give their kudos and respect to Éadríc for doing this. I look forward to the next one...  :wink:

I would like to second Eirikr's thoughts. It's a daunting challenge to arrange an event with 75> people - I've done it myself a couple of times with the ol' 'Saturday Night Siege Night' and it's a stressful experience - no matter how often you tell people "Don't spawn" - they spawn! So well done for arranging & doing the event.

However I also have to repeat the criticisms Eirikr has brought up. It is something to learn from, however, for the next event you do.

My problems lie with teamspeaks whisper system. When I could actually hear Eadric, it was quiet and when I'm half deaf, LF clan (STFU Guys :lol:) is chatting away and the background noise from the game, I cannot understand him.

From now on, I'd appreciate if the commander could take the time to type it out. It makes things 150% clearer and easier for me to follow.

b00227783 said:
My problems lie with teamspeaks whisper system. When I could actually hear Eadric, it was quiet and when I'm half deaf, LF clan (STFU Guys :lol:) is chatting away and the background noise from the game, I cannot understand him.

From now on, I'd appreciate if the commander could take the time to type it out. It makes things 150% clearer and easier for me to follow.

Wrong. No need to revert to archaic text in a VOIP program.
If you struggle to hear a user; right click on his name and select Change Volume, then boost accordingly.

I'm sure next event will be better. As I understand there was some miscommunication about server use, so we had to improvise on the last minute.
I will try and see what I can do / have time for regarding the warband spawn and restart system.

Well I for one, don't have the slightest of clue how these big events are organised.

I wish to compliment the organising team for making it happen, since we do not have a lot of events. Waiting for me was not an issue today (fortunately).

One suggestion: would be nice if the leader could talk to all, and the clanleaders only to their clans. (I dunno if this is a stupid or impossible suggestion.)

Also, 3 rounds was not enough IMO

Personally I think the only real problem with the event was the delay caused by the server confusion or whatever that was. Could probably have done with less warmup rounds and more event rounds though. The spawning process and map resetting wasn't ideal, but that sort of thing takes time to figure out, and without the initial delay it would hardly have been an issue at all.

I disagree entirely with your point about deciding between siege and battle, though. The fun thing about this event was that it was a siege in battle mode. I think it's good to try out new stuff. Of course, being the first time this was tried nobody was quite sure of what to do, but that's to be expected. The first round was over before it started, but for the second round the defenders had figured out one or two things and it made for a very interesting round IMO, with some pretty intense fighting where I was (at the main gate). The bottom line is that, with more tests, this siege battle concept could mature and develop further, with tried and proven tactics and more robust team communication. I wouldn't want the majority of Vikingr events to be siege battles, but hopefully events will be organized more often in the future, allowing for more variety.

I also thought the map was gorgeous, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the event. But already a bit before the actual event had started a few of my mates had already gone away for lack of time.
The battle wasn't at all about winning for me, just fighting with mates in a greater battle, and it worked quite well. The last round was a disaster though for the Engle, since we met them on what I guess is somewhat even terms, and they had far more players, something the commander who ordered us to do it should've taken into consideration, though I did appreciate the change in area.
I myself was glad fr the resets since I had crashed and my internet ****s up after I disconnect from a server and try to reconnect immediately, so I had to wait a while, and I managed to get on in time for the second round.

Thanks a lot guys for the event and may you do more in the future.

I think, in honesty, there are only three things I agree with...

1) The event was brilliant.
2) Waiting time.
3) Mulitple restarts...

Everything eltes, especially team organisation, I whole heartedly disagree.

You need to clarify that you mean the Engle side was disorganised etc. For the Vikingr side was spot on. Perfect. We had our "Squads" our leaders and our tactic. We had whispers set with Thorkell, our team leader, and I don't think I've been in such a well drilled and organised side before. We could speak to Thorkell and him to us, but we couldn't speak to the other "Squad" leaders becouse we didnt need to. We had all this organised WELL before 6pm. It was perfect. Now, I appreiciate that our organisation isn't down to Éadric/Event organiser, but the leader of the team - but you didn't specifey. So, I must congratulate Thorkell on his team organisation.

To me it seems you are saying the Defenders were not organised, not the event.

Waiting time wasn't even a large issue for us (Well those in my "Squad" - publicers and Fir Áraig) becouse we played some rounds, messed about etc. Got to know each other a little, had a great laugh and I informed them on what our role was in the event.

As for battle or seige? I think a siege map with battle mode is one of the best things I have ever seen or done in Vikingr to date.

All in all, I feel you guys have a problem with the Engle/Defender side of things, not the Event as a whole and it would unfair to confuse the too.

the leaders of each group, plus the event organisers, need to have working whisper links that have been set up before the event.

I pretty much failed there myself, but in the end it worked quite good. Though for next time I know what to do! Great event!

I would like to thank everyone for participating and additionally all you guys who prepared everything!
Maybe there were some troubles, mainly caused by that server host, but well, happens and it's a way to get better.
Personally, watching people spawn and soon after die in flames looked pretty silly to me =]

I really enjoyed playing there (despite having only three real rounds!) and I hope to see more!

Unfortunately, my screenshots appear to have not been saved by Steam somehow, so no screenies from me  :neutral:

So, once more, thank you very much and I'm looking forward to have some more fights!

I really want to thank Moecker and Barabas for getting a server running, despite being unable to use the intended server host.
I am grateful that Éadríc took the initiative and helped organize the event - and congratulations on the great map! (Maybe we can use it as a proper siege-mode map, although it's a "fantasy-map").

Eirikr, I think you are overemphasising the negative aspects of the event. I do, though, realise that some people would have been angry about the delay.

I can only speak for the Vikingr side: I am very impressed by the level of communication, and I would like to especially thank the Russians for bringing forth translators and for good discipline - we had no problems, thanks to this!

The whisper-function worked excellently and I'm grateful that I've learnt to use this tool.
Thanks to all the pre-event organization and the excellent clan-leaders (Thank you, Ualraig, Bjorn, William, Styrkarr, and Claus!) we managed to carry out our strategies.

I agree with Celtic, the battle-mode for a siege map was very interesting! People were cautious, valuing their lives - much unlike the usual siege.
I, myself, was very baffled by how quickly we died in the gateway in the second round.
Fortunately, with superior communication and numbers, we achieved an overall victory!  :wink:

Thanks to all who attended!

Completely support the oppinion of Celtic.
Didnt expected so good communication but it was strong as iron. :smile:

Aaand battle mode for siege is one of the best things I have ever played just becaouse its more real. :smile: You have to care for your life and for your mates.

Thanks again to the organizers, commanders, battle brothers and our enemies.  :cool:

Already cant w8 for the next event. :smile:

Hello Eiríkr and everyone else,

First of all: many thanks to all those participating!

Now, I would like to apologise to everyone for the long waiting time. As Barabas said, we had to make some big rearrangements at the last moment. It was horrifying to make everybody wait for so long. And it distracted the organisation from other duties, like the optimal amount of clarifications and updates.

The spawning and restarts: we saw that one coming, but still had difficulties getting it right. I myself am not bothered by restarts, but I should have realised that most folks are. It would be great if the admin panel offered some more options when it comes to spawning.

As for the decision between siege and battle: it was certainly made. Like Hróða said, it was a hybrid on purpose and its nature was made clear from the moment this event was announced, in the official event thread. We always regarded this event as somewhat experimental in the quest for more realism. It was and is very difficult to estimate what numbers on both sides would make for good balance, but I think it went quite well. The first round was won by the attackers, the second by the defenders, and for the third round I deliberately gave up the wall defences, because I reckoned it would be a waste not to fight on the bridge and the stairs for some cinematic action. Of course I paid dearly for this by receiving a friendly arrow in the back of the head right as the fighting started.

I agree that the map proved to be too large. I suppose I spent more time making it look pretty than considering what the optimal number of players would be. I guess this map would fare much better with close to 250 players.

I will note that many players found three rounds on Éafanheall too few. I suppose we organisers were worried people would get bored with the map. The second map, Stéape, was meant as a dessert of sorts. We shouldn’t have stated the event was officially over when that map came on, but nonetheless I expected to see more people stay for that map.

And concerning the TS organisation of the Engle: it could have gone a lot better indeed – I should taken care of that much earlier.

Yes I can only excuse myself for the waiting time and server issues, it was rather unluckily caused by my attempt to do everything last-minute again  :???:

I guess next time we should make sure set up things in time really, as it seems the viking team really had an advantage in their whispering setup eventually by taking their time. In contrast even I got confused about it eventually while trying to set it up properly at the side, so I had a felt dozen of conflicting lists there....

Another thing is really the server interface which caused us those restarts, until now I only ever thought about making it more practical, but was kept back by how few events we actually have anyway. But indeed if we try to make things that just go slightly beyond what native is specialized in, we will run into problems, as it is seen in the attempt to go through the entire list of players just to give certain ones more starting gold.

Indeed the battle-siege mixture seemed to work very well in my opinion, although those unlucky people who had connection problems or just bad luck had to wait for the entire round. But it also increased the "worth" of a single life and the actual strategy of attacking, so that we had coordinated groups that were fighting, and not just single charging people who would respawn right away after death.

A longer time ago we have already discussed changing the siege mode, and indeed we only play it rarely. Also the conquest mode could benefit from a changed respawning system, so it would be nice to hear what other people taking part think of this non-respawn system. Maybe one could change the other modes to be less of a directed team deathmatch and more of an intense, tactical stand-off.

Eiríkr Rauði said:
If you struggle to hear a user; right click on his name and select Change Volume, then boost accordingly.

I have full volume on everything, while wearing turtle beaches. And I meant ingame chat.

Also, may I point out, running around randomly not listening to the person who is supposed to be commanding you, is bound to make the event a little more dreary. A little while ago you said you were pleased people were working together in public servers, but when it comes to it being organised you'd rather suicide charge out the front gates. It's hypocritical no?

Lastly: Eadric had to command the Engles AND set up the event. That is where our troubles lie. It happened last event too, Moe spent more time trying to help people join and setting the server right than actually commanding and playing. Luckily, it worked out fine because the individual commanders still managed to communicate with each other.

b00227783 said:
Eadric had to command the Engles AND set up the event. That is where our troubles lie. It happened last event too, Moe spent more time trying to help people join and setting the server right than actually commanding and playing.

I agree, it's probably best if the organizer is free of commanding duties. It quickly gets too much and too stressing to take care of everything with so many people.

b00227783 said:
Eiríkr Rauði said:

Also, may I point out, running around randomly not listening to the person who is supposed to be commanding you, is bound to make the event a little more dreary. A little while ago you said you were pleased people were working together in public servers, but when it comes to it being organised you'd rather suicide charge out the front gates. It's hypocritical no?

Respect is earned, Mabons, not given. You command none of this from me.

On topic; it helped the 1stEPI out tremendously to have a singular server admin managing teams and set-up. It leaves the rest to concentrate on the game at hand.  :eek:

Barabas said:
b00227783 said:
Eadric had to command the Engles AND set up the event. That is where our troubles lie. It happened last event too, Moe spent more time trying to help people join and setting the server right than actually commanding and playing.

I agree, it's probably best if the organizer is free of commanding duties. It quickly gets too much and too stressing to take care of everything with so many people.

Agreed.

Eiríkr Rauði said:
Respect is earned, Mabons, not given. You command none of this from me.

:lol:

Then why did you join the LF channel? Don't want to be commanded by me? Go join another host. :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom