Did you set the bar too high?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohanTW

Recruit
Hello everyone! :smile:

For someone who has waited for this for years now, I'm wondering, Ealabor if maybe you think you set the bar too high with this mod? The mod is taking an awfully long time to make and I noticed that Mount&Blade 2 has been announced as well and a port to that would be possible. Are you saying the mod will be released before that and then ported or that it will be released directly to M&B2, thus taking even longer to make? You also said "if I'm still working on this at that time" or something like that, do you mean you will drop it or simply leave it up to others to finish it?

So since it is taking such a long time and the game is getting older and older (and soon outdated with M&B2), do you think that the mod is simply too big to make and will never be finished or released? I remember looking at this forum years ago and you had crossed over many things that had to be done and somebody said "ooh, it's so close now" but yea... It wasn't :razz:

If I got this all wrong and you are very close to release though, I would be more than happy :smile:

i think he has.... i for one have been patiently waiting like you, not saying anything and time is progressing to the point where it just seems as it will never be done because maybe like you said the bar may have been set just a bit too high... there's other major mods that were released far quicker than this one. as a fellow artist, perfection is great n all... but not if you want others to experience your creation, otherwise they never will as you eternally tweak and adjust it toward perfection.

Yea... Been looking forward to this for really long now but I guess it's not gonna happen. Let's hope M&B2 will be awesome! There's gonna be mods on that too and they're gonna be mods of  a much more advanced game so they will probably be pretty cool :smile:

2 months and not even a "it's done when it's done."

Yeah, this mod is dead. RIP, you would have been a brilliant thing.

The problem from the beginning was the approach. Keeping everything in his hand, never releasing anything. Really things should have been released as they were 'completed'. Map done? release it. Weapons done? release it. At least then there would have been progress and momentum. Rather than a stagnant forum that cosisted of nothing but scolding people that asked for release dates.

Perhaps. If I'm right, there was quite a bit of grumbling of how a new version for M&B 1 was ditched in favour of converting it for Warband once it became moddable, and I can't help but think that, if that version had been completed and released, Hegemony would have 'blown up,' gained a huge following, and likely have attracted people that would have been able to aid him in making the mod.

To be honest, I feel bad for E more than any of us, because god knows how many hours he put into making this. If it has been ditched, the guy must feel pretty pissed about how much effort he put in, and I know that it was a lot.

268, as well as the new Barbarian Invasion version, were the only two mods that I actually bought Warband for, and it seems that they're both dead, which is a massive shame, not just for me, but for the whole M&B community as a whole. People love Romans. Gamers love playing games set in the Roman age. Many people on this site are interested in history, as well as having plenty of Total War Fans, so no doubt these mods would have been huge, and more than that, it seemed they would have been the only 'full' Roman mods, that had their own maps with intricate details from units to cities that you could fully immerse yourself in, and without them, it doesn't look like anything else even comes close to giving us that experience.

I really hope that E and co. come forward and verbally ***** slap us for doubting him/them, because 268 and BI would have been fan-****ing-tastic, and it'd be a true shame if they were never finished.

It would have been a game on its own, almost :razz:

I hope I don't come off as whiny, I was sincerely asking about how he felt about the mod. I feel it's such a shame if the mod won't see the light of day, mostly because of how I loved the idea and of how much admiration I had for Ealabor.

Yeah, there's no doubt that the mod looked to far surpass the original game itself, just like mods like EB did the same for Rome Total War.

And like I said, his inactivity just suggests, to me at least, that he's done with this. As I said, it's been 2 months since this thread was made and he hasn't responded, and the last time he was active was, according to his profile page, about a month ago, and he seemed to be discussing work for a different mod entirely, so it does look like this one's been put to grass, or at least put on hold indefinitely.

It looks like everything was done for this too. Hopefully he's using it it a new mod if he is really walking away from this. Carrying thousands of followers for over 2 years, seems pretty crappy to walk away with no news, maybe he got hit by a car. I've been checking in and out of this mod since 2009.

JankoMega said:
I don't give a **** about this anymore,
Waiting for Napoleonic Wars!

Lol

Well, developers always take a break when the things get slow or there is too much to do in real life, and I know that as it has happened to me in other games.

But, at the end, we all come back and try to get our hands into the unfinished work, so, taking that in account, I support the idea of Ealabor coming back in some time.

Heck, even today, a modder that was absent for 6 years with unfinished work (!) came back in another game to release all his stuff and explaining what happened to him

Modders are people too, and most of them keep doing things just for the fun of seeing finished things working in the game

The Gracchi said:
The problem from the beginning was the approach. Keeping everything in his hand, never releasing anything. Really things should have been released as they were 'completed'. Map done? release it. Weapons done? release it. At least then there would have been progress and momentum. Rather than a stagnant forum that cosisted of nothing but scolding people that asked for release dates.

Quoted for truth. Ealabor holds the reins on horses he didn't create.

NacroxNicke said:
JankoMega said:

Lol

Well, developers always take a break when the things get slow or there is too much to do in real life, and I know that as it has happened to me in other games.

But, at the end, we all come back and try to get our hands into the unfinished work, so, taking that in account, I support the idea of Ealabor coming back in some time.

Heck, even today, a modder that was absent for 6 years with unfinished work (!) came back in another game to release all his stuff and explaining what happened to him

Modders are people too, and most of them keep doing things just for the fun of seeing finished things working in the game

If E's away for even half of that, yeah, the mod's dead. It could always get resurrected, but after the waiting time for a new release, plus an absence of several years (hypothetical; I have no idea how long he'll be away for, if he's permanently away etc) means that the mod is dead.

No work being done = dead

Aenima said:
NacroxNicke said:
JankoMega said:

Lol

If E's away for even half of that, yeah, the mod's dead. It could always get resurrected, but after the waiting time for a new release, plus an absence of several years (hypothetical; I have no idea how long he'll be away for, if he's permanently away etc) means that the mod is dead.

No work being done = dead

It was just an example to show how devs doesn't forget about the things that they do for the game.

Back
Top Bottom