Scottish Independence

Users who are viewing this thread

Maboobs said:
Well, it's getting closer and closer, and I'm finally decided I'm voting yes.

No wait I'm voting no... yes... no...

Still observing that most yes voters probably struggle to tie their shoelaces but at least they can quote braveheart!

While most No voters are just scared it will just get worse.

And I'm stuck here with not enough information to make a proper decision, and my lack of knowledge when it comes to political **** like this kind of shows.

There are idiots on both sides.

Yes - "Freeedoooooooooom"
No - "Haw, **** teh Pope, God Save the Queen. Keep the Union!"

Maboobs said:
Well, it's getting closer and closer, and I'm finally decided I'm voting yes.

No wait I'm voting no... yes... no...

Still observing that most yes voters probably struggle to tie their shoelaces but at least they can quote braveheart!

While most No voters are just scared it will just get worse.

And I'm stuck here with not enough information to make a proper decision, and my lack of knowledge when it comes to political **** like this kind of shows.
Then you really should vote no then, if the SNP are so vague as to what a independent Scotland will achieve.

I'd vote no just like I'd vote no for a free Quebec (My province).
I love my master too ****ing much.

God bless the Queen!
OkjEh.gif

P.S.: I'm half joking, take this post with a grain of salt.

Your loyalty to the Repdillidalliers will be rewarded one day.

606x341_226752_queen-elizabeth-celebrates-60t.jpg

Take this with a huge spoon of Dioxyrepdillidallimatroxiribo Acid.

It would certainly be interesting to see an independent Scotland, but they'll have to elect a king!

They already said they will keep the royal family...they just don;t have any security on currency or trade.
Especially when they will not likely be able to join the eurozone since the powers that be are very anti-secessionist, so trade (and food) becomes more expensive, farmers have no subsidies (food becomes even MORE expensive) and people will start to have to pay visa charges when going to European countries again.

Oh nice. If they aren't going to take back the Stone of Scones or watever it's called and elect Sean Connery to be their king then what's the point?

I'm still struggling to understand Salmonds logic. Going independent should mean you are totally in control, but using the pound still means the UK will have some control, he wants an independent Scotland to join the EU, they will no doubt have control over some things Scotland can do.

And I don't give a damn about the Royal Family unless it's that Kate lass. *wolf whistles*

Sir Saladin said:
Oh nice. If they aren't going to take back the Stone of Scones or watever it's called and elect Sean Connery to be their king then what's the point?

Exactly.

Why not just vote for more control over local revenue? That sounds like what this is really all about. No need to go splitting up the country.  :???:

Yeah. I think it's just a wish for more autonomy and more control. My mum is all, "Oh, but we don't have a fair representation in the House of Parliament" and "they [the government] give us only a small portion of what we truly earn in revenue. If we were independent we'd be much better off as we wouldn't have the majority of our income put into the pockets of Westmister" and "Westminster doesn't give three ****s about the people of Scotland, all of its decisions and laws only have the people of England, primarily London, at heart!". And stuff like that.

That's just a general idea and paraphrasing of things I remember hearing her say, so not 100% sure that is what her view is. But, she is definitely voting yes. So, there is that.  :???:

Scötländ äs nøt Nördik! Börk börk börk!

Kobrag said:
They already said they will keep the royal family...they just don;t have any security on currency or trade.

I know they'll keep all the fun things, but a few years ago I hoped the Independence would look something like a complete change.
Just to have something new and interesting to gawp at.
But It's not exactly independence is it? More like the one in Australia or Canada. They keep the Kween but get to do whatever they want.
And no Jack I "Lightning" King-Mate of Oz is crowned.

Vieira said:
Yeah. I think it's just a wish for more autonomy and more control. My mum is all, "Oh, but we don't have a fair representation in the House of Parliament" and "they [the government] give us only a small portion of what we truly earn in revenue. If we were independent we'd be much better off as we wouldn't have the majority of our income put into the pockets of Westmister" and "Westminster doesn't give three ****s about the people of Scotland, all of its decisions and laws only have the people of England, primarily London, at heart!". And stuff like that.
The obvious solution is to dump all your tea in a harbor.  :roll:

Maboobs said:

I prefer to quote the Financial Times and UK Government civil servants. 

FT first:

If its geographic share of UK oil and gas output is taken into account, Scotland’s GDP per head is bigger than that of France. Even excluding the North Sea’s hydrocarbon bounty, per capita GDP is higher than that of Italy. Oil, whisky and a broad range of manufactured goods mean an independent Scotland would be one of the world’s top 35 exporters.

An independent Scotland could also expect to start with healthier state finances than the rest of the UK. Although Scotland enjoys public spending well above the UK average – a source of resentment among some in England, Wales and Northern Ireland – the cost to the Treasury is more than outweighed by oil and gas revenues from Scottish waters.

http://archive.today/vcQ78#selection-2101.0-2109.344

UK Government second:

The newly-released documents show that 11 civil servants met on April 17, 1975, including Dr Gavin McCrone, who a year earlier had written a paper on oil and independence.

“An independent Scotland could now expect to have massive surpluses both on its budget and on its balance of payment, and with the proper husbanding of resources this situation could last for a very long time into the future,” his report said.

“Thus for the first time since the Act of Union was passed, it can now be credibly argued that Scotland's economic advantage lies in its repeal.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/6240671/North-Sea-oil-gave-Scotland-massive-budget-surplus-say-Government-records.html

That UK Government civil service quote comes from 1974, admittedly.  The document was suppressed at the time, but it's still a shock to see it reported there in black and white in the pages of the staunchly unionist Daily Telegraph - which now informs us regularly that there's hardly any oil left and we're too poor to go it alone, just like they were telling us back then.

Nuffink ever changes, eh?

Maybe we should stick around though, and reap the many benefits of continued Union:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/8074669/Danny-Alexander-reveals-500000-job-cuts-in-document-gaffe.html

So why independence vs. just get more financial autonomy? My hair is getting too long - maybe I should cut off my head? That would fix the problem, wouldn't it?

If they go... welcome to universal food banks when the food economy collapses due to the sudden end of all EU farming subsidies and trade regulation.
Not to mention a sudden halt to all foreign investment as uncertainty proliferates in the market.
I wonder if we will offer the original terms of the union or harsher ones when they finally come begging after hanging the wool headed fools they have as conspirators.

Back
Top Bottom