Scottish Independence

Users who are viewing this thread

Flanged

Sergeant Knight
With the potential break-up of the United Kingdom recieving media coverage even in such far away places as Taiwan, I feel the time has come to ask you, the people of Taleworlds - a proud people, a noble people, wherever ye may live - a single YES/NO question on the issue of Scottish Indepenence, for the purposes of this unofficial, advisory, and consultative, (not legally binding) referendum.

OPTION 1/ Do you believe Scotland would be better off as an independent nation state, with control of it's own fiscal and foreign policy, as well as it's own mineral and energy resources, like nearly every other country on earth, free from the interferences of a party who's policies it has not voted for since 1955? (YES). 

OPTION 2/ Or do you believe it is a weak ****ty place full of toothless junkies with no brains whatsoever who require stern rule from a parliament located in another country? (NO).

I will remain, of course, entirely unbiased in this debate. 

As the returning officer for this referendum, I promise to show those who hate and despise Scotland and the Scottish people (NO voters) the same respect I would to those who happen to be intelligent, likeable, brave, forward-thinking, and cool (YES voters).

This is the most important decision the people of Taleworlds will have made in the last 300 years, which is why it has to be made now, in 2012, sooner rather than later.

So let's have ye then! 

Art thou a Yoonyonist?  Or an Independentista?

Here is the Taiwanese coverage of the debate so far, if you need to catch up:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqLn_Aj9Rw

Wavering Scottish voters should bear in mind that the British State has already threatened to take away our giant pandas, at this early stage of the negotiations... OUR ******** pandas!

Meanwhile, last night it emerged that the two Chinese Pandas currently at Edinburgh Zoo could be taken off Scotland if they choose to become independent.

Officially Tian Tian and Yang Guang were gifts to the UK government.

“No one has fully understood the ramifications for the Pandas of any bid for Scottish independence,” said a Westminster official.

But the Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “Where do they pay tax?”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2012/01/13/independent-scotland-could-be-banned-from-using-the-pound-and-lose-its-pandas-115875-23696893/

OPTION 1/ Do you believe Scotland would be better off as an independent nation state, with control of it's own fiscal and foreign policy, as well as it's own mineral and energy resources, like nearly every other country on earth, free from the interferences of a party who's policies it has not voted for since 1955? (YES).
Yes.

OPTION 2/ Or do you believe it is a weak ****ty place full of toothless junkies with no brains whatsoever? (NO).

Yes.

Really whats the point? I mean, when is the last time a Scotsman even knew what way was up, let alone do something?

Parts of the United States are starting to get its own feel of nationalist as well.

Hawaii`s natives are calling for secession, Alaska, California, Texas has large parts of the population that are for secession, and wish it...And also south carolina has seen some wish for it.

OPTION 1, yes

OPTION 2 no, people have the right to govern themselves.

Legolan said:
Parts of the United States are starting to get its own feel of nationalist as well.

Hawaii`s natives are calling for secession, Alaska, California, Texas has large parts of the population that are for secession, and wish it...And also south carolina has seen some wish for it.

I feel this is the future.  Everybody thought we were headed towards ever-greater integration and ever-closer union under globalisation - everyone predicted that nations would become nothing more than semi-autonomous regions within hemispheric super-states (EU, US, China, etc).  In fact I think we will see the opposite - an increasing number of breakaway states and small new nations joining up in loose confederations (with diplomatic and trade treaties between each other, but no overarching political union) to do their own thing.  And it is a good thing.  It will help to stymie the neo-colonialism and hubris of the current "superpowers" if they have to do deals with each smaller nation on separate terms.

Any breakaway states of the US would be different from Scotland in some important ways (Scotland was an independent nation for a long time before the Treaty of Union, and remains a separate country in it's own right, with a distinct legal system, education system, and health service) but I am all for self-determination - even for Texans, though I'm a lefty liberal bleeding-heart type myself, and don;t own a gun.  :lol: 

Legolan said:
people have the right to govern themselves.

Aye.  Exactly.  And they have more than the right - they have a duty.

Flanged said:
Legolan said:

I feel this is the future.  Everybody thought we were headed towards ever-greater integration and ever-closer union under globalisation - everyone predicted that nations would become nothing more than semi-autonomous regions within hemispheric super-states (EU, US, China, etc).  In fact I think we will see the opposite - an increasing number of breakaway states and small new nations joining up in loose confederations (with diplomatic and trade treaties between each other, but no overarching political union) to do their own thing.  And it is a good thing.  It will help to stymie the neo-colonialism and hubris of the current "superpowers" if they have to do deals with each smaller nation on separate terms.

Any breakaway states of the US would be different from Scotland in some important ways (Scotland was an independent nation for a long time before the Treaty of Union, and remains a separate country in it's own right, with a distinct legal system, education system, and health service) but I am all for self-determination - even for Texans, though I'm a lefty liberal bleeding-heart type myself, and don;t own a gun.  :lol: 

Legolan said:
people have the right to govern themselves.

Aye.  Exactly.  And they have more than the right - they have a duty.

I respect that, even though Im a righty with guns :lol: 17 of them :razz:

There is also a large southern nationalist movement in Dixie(the south) which is growing..

Infact, the largest secession movement in the United States is in cali, and is a leftist movement...I agree with you, people of the United States have a history of hating centralisation, and rightly so, its to damn dangerous.

Vieira said:
Magorian Aximand said:
I have to say yes to independence. My family has a proud Scottish history, and I'm banking on that getting me citizenship should the US go bottoms up. :razz:

:grin:

lol :lol: if the fourth reich rises anytime soon, maybe I can get into germany since Im a Wiese  :mrgreen:

Flanged said:
Any breakaway states of the US would be different from Scotland in some important ways (Scotland was an independent nation for a long time before the Treaty of Union, and remains a separate country in it's own right, with a distinct legal system, education system, and health service)

All of this is true of Texas, South Carolina and Hawaii (except the "long before" point for Texas and SC), and with the exception of being independent nations, all of the others are true as well for any state.

The level of independence in Scotland from the UK government, from what I've heard about it, which too little to satisfy my convictions about the UK, is the status quo for every state in the US. The only real difference I have seen so far is it would allow foreign policy. Just about every conversation with a person from a dirty dirty blue nation-state(see below) seemed a bit ignorant about how green nation-states work.

[me=Devercia]is requesting an education[/me]

With the exception of foreign policy, I don't see the difference between this and the UK simply abandoning a unitary government for a federal government.

I'd like to take the moment to welcome Scotland to the righteous greens from the dirty fascist blues!

Texas, Cali, and even the whole of the South have held onto their nationalist views to a point, and in the face of hard times, and political differences with other parts of the nation, its not hard for nationalist groups to quickly gain momentum, and also give the people a sense of pride in their homes, and ancestry , since the areas I named do have a deep and complex history

Most movements here in the U.S. do not wish a federal government, but a more lose government, many of them have their model as the original United States articles of confederation, with a little bit of a stronger central government for stability.

Its also far to point out that such places are were you are most likely to hear "Mericuh, **** Yeah!" without any sense of shame, irony, or humor, but brimming with hubristic pride.

Devercia said:
Its also far to point out that such places are were you are most likely to hear "Mericuh, **** Yeah!" without any sense of shame, irony, or humor, but brimming with hubristic pride.

I dont see why Texas, or Cali would have any shame, as for the South, the propaganda is debatable.

Independence!

Although last poll showed no majority for Independence and the British want it decided quickly.

But in the end British arrogance will be the deciding factor and the proud toothless junkies of Scotland will once again have their freedom.

Well the Scot's did essentially save us in the 'English' civil war by defeating the Armies of the French-loving Catholic king at the time.

Not that I hate the French mind...just until they formed their first republic.

Edit: So yeah, I think they should have a say, unimpeded by our government.

I don't think the vote will come up in favour of independence as over half of the Scots say they want to remain in the union, with 12 percent undecided, but the Scottish minsters will probably try again as soon as they can probably in two decades, it would be a huge shame if the United kingdom does ever split as our shared heritage, history and pride would truly become history in the books but if it did split i would give it a few years till it rejoined  :smile:.

Back
Top Bottom