Seljuq Sultanate of Rum

Users who are viewing this thread

Inanch-Bilge said:
These are not Seljuk rest is ok, I can add some more too.
6d6ed84ae4ebfa4536f4de5.jpg
grnt227.jpg
tstcs88sts540.jpg
yenicerielbiseliefkanca.jpg
ordusancagi14531798.png
Very nice pictures, but these armours aren't really from 1200 are they? They look more like fourteenth or fifteenth century.

It would be work too but Nobles and their retainers are combatant too what will we do with them ?

FrisianDude

True, these pics are from first post I showed them to state that they're not Seljuk.

Inanch-Bilge said:
It would be work too but Nobles and their retainers are combatant too what will we do with them ?

Put them in the two castle troop trees. Retainers in the professional troop tree and nobles in the noble troop tree.

We can't put them in the same category with Askari and Ghulam class, they're tribal, If you can't put them(although it would be inaccuracy) just make it like above(Veteran Frontiersmen)

I can add more castles and lords but if the map is going to include eastern anatolia.

Sultan Suleiman Shah II
-Lord of Konya

Prince Izz al-din Kilij Arslan III
-Lord of Kayseri

Saif ud-din Abu'l Muzaffar Shahenshah
-Lord of Divriği

Mugis ad-din Toghrilshah
-Lord of Elbistan

Mubariz ud-din Ertokush
-Lord of Uluborlu

Muh ud-din Masud
-Lord of Ankara

Husam ad-din Choban
-Lord of Tokat

Mubariz ud-din Chavli
-Lord of Akşehir

Saif ud-din Ay-Aba
Lord of Sivas

Nasr ad-din Hasan
Lord of Larende

Saif ud-din Kizil
Lord of Amasya

Tough not all of the them are real governors of these settlements but they're real historical characters, as I said I can add more castles to east and west if necessary, is there anything else ?

Is more castles needed ? map will cover the eastern anatolia ? anyway, here is everything gathered in a one post

Characters
Sultan Suleiman Shah II
-Lord of Konya

Prince Izz al-din Kilij Arslan III
-Lord of Kayseri

Saif ud-din Abu'l Muzaffar Shahenshah
-Lord of Divriği

Mugis ad-din Toghrilshah
-Lord of Elbistan

Mubariz ud-din Ertokush
-Lord of Uluborlu

Muh ud-din Masud
-Lord of Ankara

Husam ad-din Choban
-Lord of Tokat

Mubariz ud-din Chavli
-Lord of Akşehir

Saif ud-din Ay-Aba
Lord of Sivas

Nasr ad-din Hasan
Lord of Larende

Saif ud-din Kizil
Lord of Amasya

Settlements
Towns:

Konya
Kayseri
Sivas
Ankara

Castles:

Amasya
Larende
Tokat
Akşehir
Divriği
Elbistan
Uluborlu

Villages:

Will be add later.

Rosters
                  Castle Recruitment 1;
                                                  I
                                      Ghulam Recruit(light horseman equipped with mace or sword)
                                        /                  \
              Junior Ghulam Lancers          Junior Ghulam Horse Archers
                            /                                              \
          Senior Ghulam Lancers                      Senior Ghulam Horse Archers

Plus Royal Ghulam Lancers  and Royal Ghulam Footguard(archers with armour) only spawns in the Sultan's army.

Castle Recruitment 2; 
                                                    I
                                        Askari Retinue(Light lancers)
                                                    I
                                        Askari Sergeant(slightly better armoured horse archer)
                                                    I
                                        Askari Lancers(lancer but also have bow as secondary)

City Recruitment;
                                            Ayyaran(Irregulars joins the army for loot)
                                                  I
                                            Mutawwia(religious fanatics)
                                                  I
                                            Fityan(brave young citizens joins the forces to defend their cities, armed by bows)

Village Recruitment(will be change from region to region)
                                                                            Turkoman Tribesmen
                                                                                            I
                                                                            Turkoman Raider
                                                                                            I
                                                                            Turkoman Veteran Raider
                                                                                            I
                                                                            Turkoman Frontiersmen
                                                                                            I
                                                                            Turkoman Veteran Frontiersmen

Pics
1tlcp.png
1tld8.jpg
1tldz.png
1tlfk.jpg
1tlgs.jpg
500t.png
5107049.jpg
29873845.jpg
52976407.jpg
ma6bc.jpg
ter17ii9.jpg

KnightPeter said:
This is a element of the facade of Patriarch residence in Istanbul, isn't it? Do you notice the writs - smth like OIKumene Пatrikia KonstantinoПoliton

Should the names of the settlements be in Turk or in Greek? Many of those have fallen under Turkish hands barely 50 or 20 years before 1200.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to think that the entire Greek, Armenian and other native populations in Anatolia has magically turned Turk. But the fact is that the nomadic character of the Turks made that they foughts mainly with Turkish forces, which were mobile mercenary armies. Cities held garrisons of mixed locals and Turks.

Tricky, tricky Turks...

Hmm, that's a tricky question indeed. And not only to do with the tricky Turks, but the whole gang of tricky Byzantines in the first place - f.e. the Byzantine possessions of Slavic/Bulgarian (and Vlach in Thessaly?) settlements - should it be f.e. Ohrid (after the local population) or Achrida (after the government possessing it in the start of the game)? Basing it on the population is, IMO, better, but also messier and requiring a very good research(er). Basing it on the government, on the other hand, is much easier and not a bad option either.

NikeBG said:
Hmm, that's a tricky question indeed. And not only to do with the tricky Turks, but the whole gang of tricky Byzantines in the first place - f.e. the Byzantine possessions of Slavic/Bulgarian (and Vlach in Thessaly?) settlements - should it be f.e. Ohrid (after the local population) or Achrida (after the government possessing it in the start of the game)? Basing it on the population is, IMO, better, but also messier and requiring a very good research(er). Basing it on the government, on the other hand, is much easier and not a bad option either.

Since Byzantine equipment was largely used by the Empire dwellers, and even beyond (Bulgarians, for example, since they had been under the Empire for a long time), and since the Byzantines followed a policy of semi-professional army recruitment, with the use of recruitment centers, barracks, etc, I think we can make most of the Empire's extent "Byzantine".

So to speak:

- Village recruitment: Byzantine / Rhomaion? Or local? (Vlach, Bulgarian, Greek, Armenian...) - That's the local low-profile militias.

- City recruitment: Byzantine / Rhomaion. - That's the high-profile militias, more like detachments of the Roman army in the cities.

- Castle recruitment: Byzantine / Rhomaion. - That's the semi-professional and professional army.

No "nobles" in the Roman Empire armies. They integrate into the structure of the army.

Do you mean that there will be only Byz captains? I like that, but having in mind the diverse social life in the Eastern Empire I think that we shall invest in bishops and guildmasters characters then...

If you think of the majority of population as natives other than Turks, you'd be mistaken my friends.

Don't underestimate the devastating effect of Turkish raids which started way before Manzikert(1071).  Most parts of Anatolian countryside had almost no population because of these raids, Local population moved westwards because of Turkish, Arab, Armenian and Georgian attacks on Eastern and Central Anatolia. and when the Turks arrived into Anatolia after Manzikert they found this pretty convenient for their plans to settle this new lands. This was a great advantage for the Turks to have numerical superiority over the natives in the countryside in a very short time.

An another reason why Anatolia was so quickly Turkified was that the flowing Turks were way too crowded. This migration was not stopped until 14th century when the Shiite Iran barrier was erected on the path between Central Asia and Anatolia. "The earth was trembling a they stepped on the grounf and as the wheels of their carts turned"  Matthew of Edessa(whose chronicle is the primary source on Turkic migration) writes as he describes the density of the Turkic migration. Historians make an estimate of about 1 million people migrated and settled in Anatolia until the first crusade. That's why there was a strong resistance against the crusader army as they moved inland Anatolia. 

Especially after defeating the Byzantine in  the Battle of Myriokephalon, the power balance began to shift to the side of the Sultanate of Rum. Which attracted more Central Asian tribes to move to this newly conquered lands.

As we look at the Ottoman "land survey books"(tahrir defterleri) from 14th century, (To make it easier to understand, think of these books as William the Conqueror's "Domesday Book" which had the information of which village had how many sheep or cows, which person held a certain piece of land, how much income each village had etc.) we can see that about 80% of urban population was consisted of Turks and almost 100% of countryside population was consisted of Turks. We must also not forget about the native people who converted to Islam and adopted Turkic identity. As we have this numbers from 14th century, I think we can assume that the Turks already had the numerical superiority over the native people in 12th century.

About the city and town's names, they were mostly still had Greek names because after 1000 years they are still only a little bit changed because of Turkish pronounciation. (Caesaria-Kayseri, Iconium - Konya, Malateia - Malatya etc.)

mefaba said:
If you think of the majority of population as natives other than Turks, you'd be mistaken my friends.

We would not, it's a matter that has been debated for decades in historical meetings. Things are far from clear in that matter.

Don't underestimate the devastating effect of Turkish raids which started way before Manzikert(1071).

I think it is you who overestimates the effect of raifs and population displacements. It has come to be accepted by most historians that massive populations movements because of warfare are rather weak, for a very simple reason: most of Europe was in a quasi permanent strate of warfare until the XIVth Century. People didn't move all the time. Most of the people, I believe, were born, flourished and died in the same area, maybe even the same village, they were born in. Populations have not changed much from the Ist Century until the XIXth, when massive migrations were easier thanks to new means of transportation. Genetic studies also support the lack of general movement of European population. It sees most of the Briton Celts are still there, and most of the Etruscans, the Gauls, the Illyrians and the Sami are still there.

Take the Duero valley question as an example: for a long time it was said that the valley was desert because it was a natural frontier between moors and iberian christians for a century. Many chronicles speak of the Desert of the Duero and the people fleeing from the Moorish frontiers. But when digging for answers, archaeologists found traces of very weak loss of population. Most of the people didn't leave, they just survived and moved on, without caring about who was master over who.

Another example would be the famous Saxon conquest of Britain, where the traditional thesis say the Saxons displaced the Celts, Britons, into the approixmate current Wales and Cornwall. Which is absurd, to think that an army of 30.000 up to 100.000 guys could displace a few millions living in England and then repopulate it...

Most parts of Anatolian countryside had almost no population because of these raids. Local population moved westwards because of Turkish, Arab, Armenian and Georgian attacks on Eastern and Central Anatolia. and when the Turks arrived into Anatolia after Manzikert they found this pretty convenient for their plans to settle this new lands. This was a great advantage for the Turks to have numerical superiority over the natives in the countryside in a very short time.

Anatolia was one of the most populous areas in the Roman Empire by the IXth Century, most of its cities were larger than most cities in

I find suspicious that the Turks might be superior in number than the natives. They arrived in the Middle East two a hundred years before Manzikert, and to Armenia even later. How can a century allow some tens of thousands to become millions and settle in the conveniently deserted Anatolia?

I can accept that large numbers of people abandoned the eastern part of Anatolia when the Seljuks arrived. But Armenians didn't do much raiding into Anatolia, neither the Georgians. Armenia as a kingdom was subject of the Roman Empire and it was stil so until the arrival of the Turks. Before that, eastern Anatolia was prosper and mostly peaceful, since the Arabs had problems reaching the highlands of Armenia and keeping the Caliphate together. Even the migration of Armenians into Cilicia in the Xth Century was much smaller than it has been usually said.

An another reason why Anatolia was so quickly Turkified was that the flowing Turks were way too crowded. This migration was not stopped until 14th century when the Shiite Iran barrier was erected on the path between Central Asia and Anatolia. "The earth was trembling a they stepped on the grounf and as the wheels of their carts turned"  Matthew of Edessa(whose chronicle is the primary source on Turkic migration) writes as he describes the density of the Turkic migration. Historians make an estimate of about 1 million people migrated and settled in Anatolia until the first crusade.

That's why there was a strong resistance against the crusader army as they moved inland Anatolia. 

There was resistance, but it was not strong, and it didn't come from the population. Kilij Arslan II and Danishmend rallied their armies and fought few battles against the crusaders, until they were defeated by the newcomers. Kilij Arslan lost Nikaia and some time later, Ankyra. All those big cities were populated by native Greek-speaking populations, the same way Armenians were still populating cities in Armenia even when under Seljuk control.

Also, where are the records of these massive migrations into the Greek West? As far as I know, there is little proof for that.

Especially after defeating the Byzantine in  the Battle of Myriokephalon, the power balance began to shift to the side of the Sultanate of Rum. Which attracted more Central Asian tribes to move to this newly conquered lands.

As we look at the Ottoman "land survey books"(tahrir defterleri) from 14th century, we can see that about 80% of urban population was consisted of Turks and almost 100% of countryside population was consisted of Turks. We must also not forget about the native people who converted to Islam and adopted Turkic identity

Hmmm, that would be interesting to see. It would be interesting to know as well what are the criteria used by the inspectors to determine the amount of "Turks" and "Greeks". The fact that Greek population was still very important in the extreme western Anatolia is very illustrative that population doesn't move as fast.

Also, we're of course not talking here about "ethnic nations" moving monolithically. National identity is something rather new, and ancestry and race, while an important part of Medieval culture and identity, have more to do with beliefs and language than anything else. It's a vaste and complex area of knowledge.

We would not, it's a matter that has been debated for decades in historical meetings. Things are far from clear in that matter.

It sure is far from clear. Which is why I replied to this thread in the first place. As I enjoy this mod at the moment(kudos to the makers) and eagerly wait for Seljuk Sultanate to be added, I just wanted to point out some facts that should be considered before whole settlements that belong Sultanate of Rum is depicted as Greek settlements.

I think it is you who overestimates the effect of raifs and population displacements. It has come to be accepted by most historians that massive populations movements because of warfare are rather weak, for a very simple reason: most of Europe was in a quasi permanent strate of warfare until the XIVth Century. People didn't move all the time. Most of the people, I believe, were born, flourished and died in the same area, maybe even the same village, they were born in. Populations have not changed much from the Ist Century until the XIXth, when massive migrations were easier thanks to new means of transportation. Genetic studies also support the lack of general movement of European population. It sees most of the Briton Celts are still there, and most of the Etruscans, the Gauls, the Illyrians and the Sami are still there.

I have nothing to say against all these except the Turkic people in high medieval ages had a completely different mentality than European people. Turks didn't have any kind of sentimental bondage to a certain land, they were mostly against settling down in one place and saw it as a threat to their culture. Yes, they had cities, towns, villages all over Central Asia but they were always ready to move in the slightest hint of threat or if they get an information about a better place to move to. The situation in Central Asia was not any more stable than in Europe. There was a constant state of war. And when the people moved from one place to another, they did it not as individuals but as a clan. Even after they moved to Anatolia, they haven't settled immediately, they just roamed around the countryside for a few decades. They only decided to settle when they became devout muslims and when they saw the benefits of a settled life. Which is why Seljuks and their successors, Ottomans always had problem with the Yoruk(Walker) Turcoman tribes who refused to settle down. Bottomline is, Turkic people didn't really have any problem with moving from their native lands as long as they moved to a richer and more fertile land.

I find suspicious that the Turks might be superior in number than the natives. They arrived in the Middle East two a hundred years before Manzikert, and to Armenia even later. How can a century allow some tens of thousands to become millions and settle in the conveniently deserted Anatolia?

And I find it rather suspicious that the native people adopting the language, customs and the religion of the invaders so quickly that by 13th century Asia Minor was known as Turkey, Turcia or Turcomania while the Turks still called it "Bilad-i Rum" - "Land of Romans" themselves. (I know that some recent DNA tests gave results such as only 30% of Anatolian population has Asiatic heritage. But there was also displacement of about 5 million Turks after Russo-Ottoman Wars and Balkan Wars and during the latter stages of the dismemberment of the Ottoman Empire. Many Turkified Balkan people, Caucasian people and Arab people also moved into Anatolia and dramatically changed the gene pool.)

In 11th century, same rate of Turkification was not seen in Middle East because of many reasons including the Turks didn't really considered Arab lands as a target for settlement and they adopted Arabic customs and language soon after they settled there. However, they arrived in Anatolia with a completely different intent. They never wanted to settle permanently in Armenia or Iraq or Syria or Palestine. But Anatolia was different. We can clearly see this in Chagri's recon raid into Anatolia which lasted 6 years(1015-1021). He commenced this raid to gather information of this land, its native people and the Byzantine defense. After he returned to Nishabur, he gave a briefing to his brother Sultan Tughrul about how suitable Anatolia was to settle down. His account depicts Anatolia as an untouched paradise. Two brothers planned a systematic migration and settlement in Anatolia and such plan was executed by Chagri's son Alparslan.

Hmmm, that would be interesting to see. It would be interesting to know as well what are the criteria used by the inspectors to determine the amount of "Turks" and "Greeks". The fact that Greek population was still very important in the extreme western Anatolia is very illustrative that population doesn't move as fast.

Also, we're of course not talking here about "ethnic nations" moving monolithically. National identity is something rather new, and ancestry and race, while an important part of Medieval culture and identity, have more to do with beliefs and language than anything else. It's a vaste and complex area of knowledge.

Of course the criteria was the religion. As you know, in the high medieval ages, when the Abbasid calpihate declined and became a puppet of the Seljuks, being muslim was seen as being Turk. This continued later on during the Ottoman expansion. Back in 13th-14th century Anatolia, if you were muslim, you were automatically considered as a Turk. And we must also consider that the natives who converted to Islam also adopted Turkic customs and language so they became indistinguishable from ethnic Turks. Only the Armenians seem to resist conversion and they were kept untouched by the Seljuks. They eventually became vassals of the Sultanate of Rum.

One example about the Turkish majority in Western Anatolia is the Principality of Tzachas(or Chaka Beg) in Aegean Coast. Tzachas was a Turcoman commander who was taken prisoner by the Byzantine Empire. When he was released in 1080, he immediately moved to Smyrna(Izmir) and gathered Turkic settlers around his banner and declared independence. He raided Aegean Islands and even threatened the Byzantine controlled Sea of Marmara until he was murdered by his son-in-law Sultan Kilij Arslan. The thing is, it doesn't seem plausible for one man to gather Turkic settlers around himself and end the Byzantine rule in Aegean region if they were a minority among the native population.

I am not really sure about the sources right now but there were accounts of Anatolian natives being relocated in Balkan lands by the Byzantine rule which also caused the population decrease in Anatolia. This was probably done to prevent the natives to convert to Islam and join the Turkish manpower pool.

Of course an ethnic identity back then is out of question. But the Turks have this clan mentality and even simple peasants had a sentiment of belonging to a certain clan. All clans kept records of their ancestors back to Central Asian steppes. The ruling dynasty on the other hand considered themselves as descendants of Oghuz Khan(the legendary Khan of the Turkic people. Known as "Afrasiab" in Persian literature.) So, there's some kind of ethnic awareness among the Turkic settlers. The native people however were all referred as "Rum"- "Roman people". The word "Greek" was never used in any official records back then. (Even today, the Turks refer to the Greek speaking people who live in Turkey as "Rum". )

Anyway, I don't really want to turn this into a historical discussion or tell you modders how to do things. I merely ask you modding people to consider the Byzantine influence on troops only to a certain limit, not as a major effect. But in the end, it's your mod and your rules. As it's a fantastic mod even it's not finished yet, I will play it no matter how you decide to do it.

Cheers

Addendum: That information about the Anatolian native population to be relocated in Balkans and Greece was written in Michael the Syrian's The Chronicle. He blames the emperor Manuel Komnenos(1143-1180) for helping Turks settle in empty lands because of this relocation policy. While I was checking this book in my bookshelf, I also noticed him writing his famous remark "Even the earth couldn't weigh all those Turks moving into Anatolia."

Cèsar de Quart said:
No "nobles" in the Roman Empire armies. They integrate into the structure of the army.
Hmm, so what would the pronoiars be? Top-tier professionals? I've included them in the Bulgarian tree as first tier nobles (they are, after all, similar to a degree to the knights, though, on the other hand, they are to a degree also similar to the old stratiotes), but if the Byzantines have no noble tree, I think the Bulgarians shouldn't either and I'd have to re-edit it again.

mefaba said:
I am not really sure about the sources right now but there were accounts of Anatolian natives being relocated in Balkan lands by the Byzantine rule which also caused the population decrease in Anatolia. This was probably done to prevent the natives to convert to Islam and join the Turkish manpower pool.
That would be interesting indeed. The only cases of people from Asia Minor being relocated to the Balkans, that I can remember, are the Armenian Paulicians being relocated to Thrace (after Basil I conqered Tafriqa in 872) and, eventually, some Turks being relocated to modern Macedonia to form the Vardariotai (though it's debatable if those were only Turks or also Magyars, Pechenegs etc). Of course, on the other hand, Balkaners have also been relocated to Asia Minor several times - first case I can remember is from the end of the 7th century (I think it was Justinian II who captured a large number of free Slavs from Macedonia and settled them in Asia Minor, there's also the somewhat famous episode with the Slavic troops there joining the Arabs etc), after 1018 many Bulgarians were also sent to Armenia etc. etc. So, both regions were somewhat similar melting pots, which is why the situations there are rather messy, as previously said.

mefaba said:
Of course an ethnic identity back then is out of question.
I call bull**** on this one (not against you or Cesar, but against the myth in general). The lack of ethnic identity is out of the question, as that is ridiculously absurd. And even the lack of national identity (which is different from ethnic one) can, IMO, be attributed only to some regions of Europe, most notably the highly feudalised ones. After all, being a Roman (or Byzantine in modern terms) is exactly a nationality, not an ethnicity. The situation in Bulgaria is potentially similar, btw, which is why Norman Davies does say that Bulgaria (and later Serbia, as well as Portugal and Denmark, for reasons unknown and unremembered by me) can be said to have established a sense of nationality, in the case of Bulgaria thanks to its earlier imperial policy (during the FBE) and independent national church (Patriarchate, though I'd also add its own official and liturgical language etc. etc.). In any case, the existence of ethnicities is indeed out of any dispute, especially when we're talking about the East (including the Turkic world). Furthermore, the clan structure doesn't exclude the notion of ethnicity. On the contrary - it's often the basis of it.

mefaba said:
Anyway, I don't really want to turn this into a historical discussion or tell you modders how to do things. I merely ask you modding people to consider the Byzantine influence on troops only to a certain limit, not as a major effect. But in the end, it's your mod and your rules. As it's a fantastic mod even it's not finished yet, I will play it no matter how you decide to do it.
Oh, don't worry - we (or at least I) love a good historical discussion. Though I don't think we've been talking about the troops recruitable from the Turkish cities - as far as I understand it, the question was about the settlements' names themselves - would it be the Greek spelling (as you said, f.e. Ikonium) or the Turkish spelling (in that case, Konya). Respectively, in the Byzantine-controlled Balkans - would it be the Greek spelling (as I said, Achrida) or the local peoples' spelling (in that case, Ohrid).
Otherwise, the question about the Byzantine troops was brought up, I think, not about whether the Turkish controlled settlements in Asia Minor should produce Byzantine or Turkish troops (though, of course, if we have a good enough info about which areas were more Turkicized and which weren't, it could allow to add a greater ethnic diversity in the village recruitment there), but about how the Byzantine recruitment system itself should work, considering Byzantium is not as feudalised as most countries we already have and has a more centralised and even professional army (i.e. should it have a separate noble troop tree, vilage/town troop trees etc). And that question is, of course, valid for other not-so-feudal countries as well.

mefaba said:
Addendum: That information about the Anatolian native population to be relocated in Balkans and Greece was written in Michael the Syrian's The Chronicle. He blames the emperor Manuel Komnenos(1143-1180) for helping Turks settle in empty lands because of this relocation policy. While I was checking this book in my bookshelf, I also noticed him writing his famous remark "Even the earth couldn't weigh all those Turks moving into Anatolia."
Interesting. Did it mention from which area they were taken (and why) and to which area they were relocated?
Btw, about that number of 1 million Turks migrating to Anatolia before the 1st crusade, is that from contemporary or modern sources? Because if it's the former, I should point out that a similar number was f.e. given to the Pechenegs who settled in the Balkans (800 000), which most modern historians believe to be a "typical" medieval exaggeration. And, at the very least, when studying large migrational movements (no matter if it's about the Eurasian nomads or the Vikings f.e.) and giving specific numbers, historians have to show the ability to gather and move the said number of people from the previous land (i.e. how the previous land sustained that number of people) and the reasons why such a move happened (overpopulation f.e.) and in what scale (it's extremely rare for a whole full "nation" to move, even among the nomads - usually it's just some of the tribes that moved, while others stayed behind).

NikeBG said:
Hmm, so what would the pronoiars be? Top-tier professionals? I've included them in the Bulgarian tree as first tier nobles (they are, after all, similar to a degree to the knights, though, on the other hand, they are to a degree also similar to the old stratiotes), but if the Byzantines have no noble tree, I think the Bulgarians shouldn't either and I'd have to re-edit it again.

Tell me you're only changing the unit names  :cry:

Korinov said:
NikeBG said:

Tell me you're only changing the unit names  :cry:

Well, we hope not. The Bulgarians did have an aristocratic warrior elite surrounded by retinues.

The point if having a "noble troop tree" and other troop trees is that it's absurd, to me, that you can turn a commoner sergeant or a pikeman burgher into a noble squire or, even worse, an upwright knight.

When I devised this tripartite troop tree, it was so that the troop tree could "represent "social orders. One for the noblemen, one for the serfs and those bound to the land and the service, and one for the free men. Also, one for those that don't fit in, the "professional soldiers" that made the retinues of noblemen.

But what of the Roman Empire? There is no boundless aristocracy. Its social structure was pretty permeable, and although there existed the concept of nobilty, in the Roman sense (the Patriciate), it was a backwards concept applied for snobbishness and personal grandeur. The most powerful men in the empire were not patricians, hypathoi or clarissimi. They were just soldiers, generals, many of Armenian descent, reaching great functions and offices because of promotion, patronage, family contacts or just plain merits.

Also, look at all those eunuchs. I don't know much about the eunuch bureaucracy, but I don't think they are the children of patrician high-born families.

It seems, by the way, that the Senate in Constantinople was still working as a city hall AND as a consultive assembly for the Emperor as late as in the XIIIth Century. I read a couple of sources speaking of the Senate assembling in the wake of the Third Crusade.

Back to the Turkish issue, I find hard to believe that Alp Arslan could have settled milions of Turks in Anatolia in a matter of 100 years. I can accept, however, that the eastern part's countryside was quite populated by Turks, but while some cities declined, others didn't. Why, if these plans of settling Turks in Anatolia were concieved, the Turks didn't displace the Armenians, for instance? Assuming that most of the "Greeks" living in the Great Armenia were actually hellenised Armenians. Malatya, Sebastea, Kaisereia and other towns of that area, despite Turkish government, kept on being pretty "Roman". That's why I think towns should be populated by Greeks or Armenians (that is, "Byzantine-like" garrisons), castles would produce Turkish stock and villages, well, we'll see. I guess we can find a way to make it accurate.

Although I would say, the Turkish settlement in that are might answer more to a more feudal approach of the Iqtâ system followed by Alp Arslan and his successors. While in the Middle East in general, the Iqtâ was the means to maintain a warrior, and not the actual land from which these resources came from, I think I remember reading about Alp Asrlan giving land directly to Turkish soldiers, kind of like the pronoiars in the Roman Empire.

I tend to disagree with the notion that "being muslim was seen as being Turk" after the Abassid decline. Turks came to arabic world as subtle mercenaries, hired blades, POW's, even slaves (mamelukes), though this status is much different then westerners imagine it - they were slaves that often became governers and lords, even kings (Yaghi Siyan, Zenghi, Baibars). Moreover, the discreprency between anatolian/syrian/mesopotamian Sunni and egyptian/fatimid Shia was already observebale and was something very hard to deal with for Saladin the Unifier f.e. ... So I reckon that "being muslim was seen as being Turk" fits better to the western european mind, to the crusader indiscrimiary point of view. Therefore the results of the First Crusade were so devastating upon the uninified TURKIC lords of Syria Palestina... And the muslim ulems and theologians  executed the job to motivate the reluctant TURKIC rulers to counterattack...

As for the nations - PLEASE all posters beware - National fractions were not what they are today. It is feudalism time and in such no Lord cares what language are speaking his subjects as long as they pay their dues. It was only markets and suzereinity in 1200... Nationalism doctrines appeared much later in time, but I fear we still endure it today. Ethnicity and nationality are quite different terms.

I wonder what you people have heard about the notion that Seljuk and his two sons were of Judeic faith? (I cite Amin Maaluf)

NikeBG said:
Interesting. Did it mention from which area they were taken (and why) and to which area they were relocated?
Btw, about that number of 1 million Turks migrating to Anatolia before the 1st crusade, is that from contemporary or modern sources? Because if it's the former, I should point out that a similar number was f.e. given to the Pechenegs who settled in the Balkans (800 000), which most modern historians believe to be a "typical" medieval exaggeration. And, at the very least, when studying large migrational movements (no matter if it's about the Eurasian nomads or the Vikings f.e.) and giving specific numbers, historians have to show the ability to gather and move the said number of people from the previous land (i.e. how the previous land sustained that number of people) and the reasons why such a move happened (overpopulation f.e.) and in what scale (it's extremely rare for a whole full "nation" to move, even among the nomads - usually it's just some of the tribes that moved, while others stayed behind).

He doesn't really give specifics about that relocation policy. He just wrote about great numbers of Anatolian people being transported to "overseas" which I assume Byzantine lands in Balkans and Greece. That 1 million is an estimate made by modern historians of Medieval Turkish History. Most of these historians refer to late Prof. Osman Turan who is considered as the greatest expert on Seljuq history. (See chapter 3 in Vol1A of Cambridge History of Islam. "Chapter 3: Anatolia in the period of the Seljuks and the Beyliks" was written by him.)

Back
Top Bottom