TWim - TWf-exclusive image uploading site

Users who are viewing this thread

Wait. Are you sure you're in the right thread?

On related notes though; the server change happened about 11 days ago now. Anyone noticed anything strange going on and/or not working as before?

All fine.

J, I mentioned a few weeks back that it would be nice if we could delete images. If that's not feasible, what about if we could upload an image again and have it replace something at the identical url?

Pretty sure I've addressed that once or twice: Nope.

Might consider it when I'm starting to run out of file names to match the current format (around 900 million left) or when I'm getting close to the "UNLIMITED" hard drive usage on the host.

As I've said before, this whole thing was set up just so you wouldn't get all the "Sorry, this image has been removed!" images (or just plain dead ones) all over the forum. And if you let people delete the images, that's what'll happen. Still considering a way to "orphan" any images you have, so they won't show up on your twim page, but they'd still exist.

Edit: Whoops, branefart. It's over 900 million left, not 60 million as I said earlier.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
I don't want to remove images though J.
What I would like to do is replace images with the same URL.

It's OK though, I understand.
If you can implement this feature it would really set your service apart from all the other public hosts. I would definitely utilize an image replacement feature for Werewolf games, In my next game Ill have to keep the first page updated with events and replacing a file would save me time cause I wont have to also update the url.

BTW your avatar is a whoopin Leifr! I remember reversing its horizontal to make it face the posts.

It's pretty much the same thing as letting people remove them, no? 'cause if you can change the image, just replace it with a 1x1 blank image or something.

Your link is a prime example of why I set this up in the first place and I really don't want any pages with TWim pics end up looking like that. Consider this: someone makes an avatar for you, you load it up straight from TWim, then they change it to Seff's penis or something.
Not to mention that I can't think of a feasible way to do it without building another upload system on top of the page. Now you can upload files by drag'n'dropping them anywhere on the page. Would you do the image replacement by dragging an image directly on another image on the page? What if you do it by accident? What should happen if you drag'n'drop multiple images on a single image? Would all the pics have a "Replace" button on them? Which'd require the before mentioned additional upload system.

One workaround I can think of is somehow set up static names which then redirect to another image you can specify. But then you'd need to change THAT somewhere/somehow and it'd kinda ruin the idea of not having to edit it in the posts. You'd have to change it in a place or another anyways.

Though even that system could be abused in the way just replacing the images could. Would just take a bit more effort.

J said:
It's pretty much the same thing as letting people remove them, no? 'cause if you can change the image, just replace it with a 1x1 blank image or something.

Your link is a prime example of why I set this up in the first place and I really don't want any pages with TWim pics end up looking like that. Consider this: someone makes an avatar for you, you load it up straight from TWim, then they change it to Seff's penis or something.
Not to mention that I can't think of a feasible way to do it without building another upload system on top of the page. Now you can upload files by drag'n'dropping them anywhere on the page. Would you do the image replacement by dragging an image directly on another image on the page? What if you do it by accident? What should happen if you drag'n'drop multiple images on a single image? Would all the pics have a "Replace" button on them? Which'd require the before mentioned additional upload system.

One workaround I can think of is somehow set up static names which then redirect to another image you can specify. But then you'd need to change THAT somewhere/somehow and it'd kinda ruin the idea of not having to edit it in the posts. You'd have to change it in a place or another anyways.

Though even that system could be abused in the way just replacing the images could. Would just take a bit more effort.
Im not really concerned about abuse, besides if an uploader wants to remove an image they provided - it should be their prerogative. Again, it would be great to have the ability to replace images because I cannot find a good host anywhere that does that and would use your service almost exclusively.

Whoopin said:
Im not really concerned about abuse, besides if an uploader wants to remove an image they provided - it should be their prerogative. Again, it would be great to have the ability to replace images because I cannot find a good host anywhere that does that and would use your service almost exclusively.
Ask around till you find someone with n old PC he doesn't need any more.
Put in a new, large HDD and use it as a server.
Or if it's for very limited use, just rent some space somewhere - won't be more than a few bucks anyway - and host the pictures that way.

Both of these will allow you to replace pictures without J having to revamp his thing.

Just stating what I would like as a service, maybe a total revamp isnt necessary possibly only a separate section for images that can only be replaced by the owner that uploaded it.

I do have a machine that could host files but to use it only for a game of WW isnt really worth the effort, would just update the limited URLs.

I notice that the TWgallery hasn't updated my page with my recent pictures, probably because some bastard changed my name. Now it's very hard to find my recent pics :sad: Could you run whatever script you use to make it do that thing where it puts the pics in easy to find places?

Yeah, the new version of the TWCheese grabber is still in the works. Need to get into the right mindset to get it finished. I've already converted the old files into the new database format, so that part is all sorted.

Whoopin said:
Im not really concerned about abuse
I am. Very much so. It's actually one of my top priorities.

Whoopin said:
besides if an uploader wants to remove an image they provided - it should be their prerogative
If they don't want anyone on the forum to see something, they should keep it to themselves. As I've stated many times, the initial reason for this was to prevent broken images all around the forum.

Whoopin said:
and would use your service almost exclusively.
You are more than welcome to use something else. I personally don't get anything out of more people using it (well, anything physical at least), it'll just use more space and bandwidth from my host.

Ninjas: Yeah. Something like that. :razz:

Hay Jay is there a way to make it so that I can select the image codes for the stuff I uploaded on my phone? Thumb-typing out the url is a tit bedious.  :ohdear:

No idea. I can try to figure something out if you'll provide a phone to test such with. :razz:

Knowing the phone type you use, what browser you use, if the things on twim page show up as they do on a normal browser when you upload an image and if you can't hold your finger down on one of those for a 'right-click menu' for copy/paste actions.

Back
Top Bottom