Rome needs your help, Modelers wanted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey, I'm a bit new to modeling and have always had issues with textures coming out right. However, I'm offering my abilities up to this awesome mod. I can take a stab at any projects you might be working on right now. Just let me know. Either way though, AMAZING WORK!

just finished
triangles = 1230 (eagle only without staff)

aquilaprev.png
mb112d.jpg

mb111k.jpg

mb110.jpg

not exactly as vympel wanted but i liked this one more :smile:

Could we get a screenshot of it in the midst of a century of Romans,see how much it stands out. Would that be possible.

Hey, since several modelers have posted in here, does anyone have a pointer to a decent Wings3d tutorial? I've poked around a bit, and found some incomplete ones, mostly trial and error experimentation. In particular I'm trying to meld two objects together (a shield boss to the main body).

-edit          I'm not real familiar with modeling. Used Magic years ago, but that was ridiculously simple )) Also pretty limited

the best is when you asking someone help that you could post some screenshots cause it hard to get the real point of your problem

so if i am not mistaken there could be something what could help you
to connect 2 objects in a single one is 2 ways
1) real connection with using face mode->bridge function for 2 different models (same count of polygons)
i mean you could connect only triangles with triangles or quads with quads and so .... (other way you will get error)
2) not real connection when objects still is separated in mesh structure just is showed as an group (when you simple need to use object mode and press combine (latter you could use on objects mode separate to back on 2 objects again)

any way today it is not important thing that your model should be a single model (i mean you could model individual parts and all of its could work even in game with different texture sheets for every individual part)

Ah, I see. Most my modeling experience in the past was with Homeworld and X-wing Alliance, both were very finicky, so I tend to merge objects together unless I have a specific reason to do otherwise.

I think you may have answered my question. Regarding screenshots, I do not have any particular thing to show yet, I'm learning the functions of the program right now, still. I was trying to merge two separate objects into one mesh, but since that is not required, I won't worry about it, too much. Thanks!

-edit Yep, that's what I needed ))) Thanks!

-2nd edit    This is the shield I'm working on. 42" tall, 33" wide, 0.3" thick, 5.5" dia  1.5" thick shield boss, on about a 10-11" plate. This is my first time using Wings, and second time modeling in general, I'm having trouble with basic functions still. The reason there is no back shot, is because I want to hollow out the shield boss, and run a horizontal grip through it. However, I can't figure out how to "delete" or reform a poly.

The boss, at present, is a separate object, placed flush against the surface of the shield. On the other side, are two flat polys (the back of the shield). What I am trying to do is connect those rear faces to the rear of the shield, so I can "hollow it out". In Magic, I could delete individual faces, but i appear unable to do that in Wings (or I'm doing it wrong). I have an idea in mind to accomplish what I want to do, but there may be an easier/quicker way to achieve it. Suggestions?
Image2.jpg
Image1-1.jpg

-3rd edit

On an separate note, does anyone know if the Romans in-game are "to scale" i.e. approximately 5'6" or are they taller 6' range?

first of all i would like that you start from some tutorials

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,24463.0.html

for the beginning i recommend do not have any real plans of doing difficult thing just try to do someting simple and try to do it good as you can

for doing models it is easy things to do shields swords
but for doing real texturing things shields is easyest things

Ok, this is -A- issue, but not a big issue. It's more me being a perfectionist. And being confused about something that seems simple.

Background: Vympel asked me to attempt modeling a realistic scutum with a horizontal center-grip as opposed to the current ahistorical multi-strap system. After a bit of wasted time working on a shield, it occurred to me simply reusing existing shields would be infinitely easier by simply deleting the straps and adding a grip.

Problem, as you can see in these images, and as I alluded to in a previous post, I am unable to delete certain artifacts. I've tried a variety of methods of removing them, but for some reason, if you delete these remaining artifacts, the entire shield vanishes. Which makes no sense, but what ever.

On the one, you see the wireframe, and on the other you see "smoothed" model. As you can see, it's a relatively negligible issue, especially after textured, and from farther than a couple feet away, they would be invisible. The obvious and easiest solution is to simply shrink them to a single point "inside" the model skin where they are no longer visible. Afterall, we're only talking maybe ten faces and two dozen vertices, if that, when you combine all the artifacts. But, that is kind of sloppy, and I'd rather remove them altogether.

Any suggestions on what is causing this, and how to rectify it?

Image3.jpg
Image2-1.jpg

ok here is few ways to do it
as i think it single quads or triangles
so
a) select those small things in face mode-> right click and pres hole
b)on objects mode -> right click and separate (you should few objects then one will be your shield other will be your small problems)
latter if your model is from few parts you can press combine in object mode

Well, it was still being kind of strange, but with a little tweaking I got it to work )) Now I play with texturing ) Fortunately, you already showed how to do that in the tutorial ) In theory ) Appreciate your patience and help, RG )

Back
Top Bottom