Kenshi - Indie game

Users who are viewing this thread

There's been some mention about this game in other threads, but I couldn't find a thread about this game so I thought I'd make one to give it some more attention as I think it has great potential.

This game is called Kenshi, it is an indie game.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcuZV77UJY

Looks very open worldish, I love how it looks so far. I wonder if we'll have different "factions" to choose from, as it currently looks like its set somewhere in japan.

If you are interested in trying it, you help the developers by buying the game from Desura, where they have a alpha funding. There is also a free demo.

I really think this game has potential, I like the "you start as a peasant and end up like a emperor" kind of games. :smile:

EDIT: Planned features for Kenshi, incase you wonder in what direction they are planning on taking the game

STUFF THATS HIGH ON MY LIST
Beds will be functional.  Sleeping will speed up healing rate, but you will need to pay for the use of a bed in town.
You will need to carry badly wounded characters to safety.
You will be able to buy your own building.  To start with, you will be able to have your own beds to heal up in, and storage for equipment.
Imprisonment.  This means characters, including your own, can be captured and imprisoned by enemy factions, by police, and caught by slavers.  So you could wake up and scrape your squad together after losing a fight and find you have a guy missing, and you will have to go rescue him.
You can gear out your buildings for research and crafting.  The higher level equipment in the game now will no longer be available in shops, and you will have to craft it.
Later on you will be able to use your owned buildings to open a shop, or a hospital.
Cannibals.  They like to capture people to use as a fresh food supply.  Don't fall asleep in the desert without someone on watch.

PLANNED FEATURES
This is a more generalised list just to show you what is planned for the game overall (in no particular order):

Lots more factions and complexity to the world, improvements to the AI
Nice big research tree and crafting system, with the addition of mining and paying for resources.
Ability to join factions and do dynamic missions for them.  AI factions will also give missions to other factions and NPCs, not just you.
Increased multi-threading.  Will mean that I can have a ridiculous amount of active characters at once, and there will be huge armies running around.
You will be able to build buildings out in the desert, and start your own outpost or fortress, possibly towns.
Building and town siege warfare.
The world map will be a lot bigger.  Towns will be procedurally generated, meaning I can fill the whole world single-handed and it will be different every time you start a new game.
Mining and farming.
Ranged combat.  Crossbows and harpoon turrets.
Unarmed combat
Thief skills, stealing, sneaking, escaping from jail.
Survival elements, you will need a supply of food and water, and need shelter to survive storms.  Endurance and fitness will factor in to combat.
Limb amputation, and robotic replacements
Blood sprays, splats, lots of blood
More animations to represent impact, injuries, damage and exhaustion.
Dialog system that will be linked into the AI.  Characters will say things at times based on their intentions, motivations, opinions and events.
More races are planned, other than just humans.
Doors to lock up your buildings, town gates to keep the bandits out.
Wildlife, creatures, monsters, herds.

STUFF THAT WILL GET DONE WHEN I HAVE THE MONEY TO HIRE SOMEONE FOR IT
This is not because I'm being lazy, just that these features are easy to separate from the main code, so are ideal to outsource and save me some time:

Dynamic shadows
Foliage, rocks, grass, stuff to fill out the map and make it actually interesting to travel.
Deferred lighting:  Means that I can have a nearly unlimited number of lights in the scene, and can introduce the day-night cycle
Pathfinding overhaul.  This will also get rid of those long Loading messages.
More armour, clothing, hair styles, more buildings and variety in all the artwork.
Audio and sound effects.

Added in spoiler tags just in case.

Yar, didn't make a thread for it since it was a bit too early. But yeah, bought the game as well and it's about as fun as the first time I had my paws on a M&B beta.

wakko2k said:
Looks very open worldish, I love how it looks so far. I wonder if we'll have different "factions" to choose from, as it currently looks like its set somewhere in japan.

Will have more biomes later on. Desert is just the basic flavour. Though the weapons are extremely Eastern skewed. But the game creator himself has no invested in artsy resources yet, so that might still change in the future.

For me it's been more like.

"Get beaten up....You lost mutha****a." Also I don't know how to get my comrades in arms to help with the first aid and such.

Gah, there should be a help thingy somewhere.

Two squadmembers got knocked out, patched them up as much as possible but they still won't get up after they fully recovered.

EDIT: NVM, read the kenshi forum.

I just spent the night playing A valley without wind and was about to get it before I saw this thread. Coincidentally, I was deciding whether to play Valley or this early today. What would you guys recommend I buy?

That's my state of mind when I read the description on the demo download page. The way the developer describes what's needed make it seem like its going to die at any minute :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom