Europa Universalis III

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregor Eisenhorn

Demo out in 15 hours and 10 minutes! I know some of you may think "This is going to be a failure. No game can match EU II!", but DL the demo first! I have very high expectations for III.

Once the demo comes out, this thread is for experiences/minor AARs.

250+ nations, 1700+ provinces, very bad graphics, very high level of politics, does not underestimate intelligence of player ( :mrgreen:), etc.
Hopefully this will show people that graphics aren't everything.

What are you, kidding me? All true strategy games (I'm talking Dominions, Galactic Civilizations, Rome Total War. The mainstream is just tactics, no exception) don't sell very well, with the exception of R:TW, which has both strategy and tactics.

CrazyEyes said:
What are you, kidding me? All true strategy games (I'm talking Dominions, Galactic Civilizations, Rome Total War. The mainstream is just tactics, no exception) don't sell very well, with the exception of R:TW, which has both strategy and tactics.
This is true.  What I said is also true, namely that poor graphics and a steep learning curve tend to produce cult classic games that are skipped entirely by the mainstream.

But do you really want the mainstream to join the community?

I like the look of the map in EUII better. I hope there is something like that for EUIII, I don't know if I'll ever play any of them, but I enjoy reading the AARs.

Merentha said:
Sir Prince said:
But do you really want the mainstream to join the community?
No, but unfortunately companies that tend to produce solely cult classics usually go bankrupt.

Well, we are up to the third installment of the series, so that's something

PS, thanks for telling me the demo was out soon, i had no idea (i knew the game was comeing out of course)

CrazyEyes said:

Only in the US for some reason. Opposite story over here (but then we have Germany, possibly the only country in the world to see The Sims knocked off the top selling spot by an obscure economic simulation).

EUII was exceptional and possibly the most enjoyable game that I ever played, but sucked up way too much of my time.  I loved taking little good-for-nothing countries and shaping them into world powers (or getting destroyed in the process).  Possibly my favorite moment was rewriting history with the re-reconquista of Spain via Ottoman influence, thereby shaping the Moors into a world power.  I especially enjoyed forming client kingdoms from scratch by carving up the territory of enemies (though that did not always work well... the Kingdom of Jerusalem just couldn't stand on its own).

Sadly, I'll have to wait until July to try it out.

Here's hoping that the third installment of EU is better than the third installment of MOO.

Archonsod said:
Only in the US for some reason. Opposite story over here (but then we have Germany, possibly the only country in the world to see The Sims knocked off the top selling spot by an obscure economic simulation).
You just made me love my own bloodline even more.

Hmm.. it (the demo) comes out at 5am local time.
[me=sneakey pete]sleeps early[/me]

or i could just play it a few hours later.

Jaghatai Khan said:
Here's hoping that the third installment of EU is better than the third installment of MOO.
Game-which-should-not-be-named.*shudders*

JA, you will awaken a demon!

I don't know that you can even call the "game" that should not be named a "game" since it evokes only stress and frustration, as well as sadness and disappointment.

Ah well, EUIII should be very nice since it is in the hands of Paradox.  Has anyone tried out the demo yet?

I got it!! I had to sit through a whole day of school and a 25 minute download before I could get my hands on it.

It's everything I hoped. Except the map. I suppose that KoH spoiled me with its beautiful maps (for example, when you switch to relations mode in the political map, it clearly colored all the nations according to their view of you. In EU you have to look up specific nations on a list to see their opinion of your nation... in numerical form.). But the gameplay! I started as France since I'm a nub, with an army of [IIRC] 17,000. 50K+manpower, 195 ducat income at the end of the year with still a very small inflation rate. All I could want. After building up and changing policies for the better part of a year, I embarked on a campaign against Spain (Castilia, I think). My navy was in the Mediterranean, and I hadn't the least idea how to begin sea transportation. So I chose land. In the way stood Aragon and a small, obscure nation with a french name :razz:. I managed to get military access with Aragon but I must have wasted half a dozen diplomats on that tiny, stubborn two-province annoyance (1k infantry, 1k cavalry) before I finally gave up and declared war. Unfortunately, I don't know how to check a nation's relations with another nation (another easy part of KoH) so I just dived in. It so happened that they were on very good terms with Aragon...
    I wasn't altogether unprepared for such a combination. My allies--Norway, Scotland, and Brittany (an odd mix)--were quick to send naval support and land a few thousand infantry on the Aragonese border. Aragon's grand army consisted of 5k Latin knights and 8k men at arms. When I re-directed my army from the other nation to smash the army of Aragon, I had forgotten about generals. Yes, it was a miracle that my leaderless and demoralized army of 5k cavalry, 12k infantry, and 1k artillery could overcome Aragon's well-led force (Aragon takes around 4.5k losses and retreats while I suffer from 5k losses. Only my infantry meat shield kept me from losing altogether.).
    After that, I split my army in half to besiege two of Aragon's provinces. Risky if they should recuperate enough to take another shot at me, but I figured keeping my army together would result in unbearable attrition losses. I also tried to cripple the puny nation's 2,000 man army with 5,000 fresh troops of my own. It appears I hadn't learned the previous battle's lesson, and their crafty general held his own until a rebel force generated in their province and intervened, pushing both armies back and besieging the province. That was okay with me, I just wanted to keep them from raiding my vulnerable interior provinces. I sent the remnants of that army along with another artillery regiment and some infantry and cavalry to bolster my suffering siege forces. When they arrived, I had 10,000 men in one province and 8,000 in another--almost as good as new. However, with the ranks filled back up, attrition became a problem again and I split my force up to starve two more provinces (by that time, one of the two forts had fallen). Now I was spread too thinly and I constantly feared a counter attack from the seemingly dormant Aragon army.
    Meanwhile, my fleet of about thirty vessels in the Mediterranean fought the fearsome armada of Aragon along with the aid of my allies. After losing eight ships, I blockaded all their ports. Back on dry land, the entire army of Aragon was dug in in a single province, suffering attrition due to starvation. Looking at the diplomacy section, I saw that I had a 23% war rating against Aragon, a "victory"! With no diplomats to discuss terms favorable to myself (after the fall of one of his forts, the Aragon ruler sent a peace treaty offering two ducats :roll: ), I just sat and waited. It was pretty late, though, so I got off...*sigh* No save function in the demo.   

Back
Top Bottom