Why I won't fully port diplomacy 4 to SOD:Warlords

Users who are viewing this thread

SOD: Warlords was on diplomacy 3.22 at the time it was made. There was a huge gap of no development from the diplomacy scene. So many of the fixes that diplomacy may have had for 3.22 I have already fixed. It would be cool to have all the tid bits of 4.01 but there is a lot of things I don't agree with. Before diplomacy used to be merge friendly. The changes that were made were out of the way and in few areas. Only certain place of code had to be added. It was also easier to figure out where what goes and where. Now with diplomacy 4.01 the features are too few, and the changes made to the original code to make those features happen, are more than too many.

So therefore diplomacy 4.01 is only good to use as a base. I don't have the time, the energy, nor the money to merge diplomacy 4.01 with SOD. If you all want to know what I'm talking about then go compare 3.22 to 4.01 and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Computica said:
SOD: Warlords was on diplomacy 3.22 at the time it was made. There was a huge gap of no development from the diplomacy scene. So many of the fixes that diplomacy may have had for 3.22 I have already fixed. It would be cool to have all the tid bits of 4.01 but there is a lot of things I don't agree with. Before diplomacy used to be merge friendly. The changes that were made were out of the way and in few areas. Only certain place of code had to be added. It was also easier to figure out where what goes and where. Now with diplomacy 4.01 the features are too few, and the changes made to the original code to make those features happen, are more than too many.

So therefore diplomacy 4.01 is only good to use as a base. I don't have the time, the energy, nor the money to merge diplomacy 4.01 with SOD. If you all want to know what I'm talking about then go compare 3.22 to 4.01 and you'll see exactly what I mean.
If you keep refusing to gargle Kryptonite, how can we consider you really "Super", man

This mod is already as big and as open as all outdoors, striving to stay code compatible with another team that isn't striving to work with anybody else doesn't make a lot of volunteer sense.  The difficult you do pretty quickly, ducking the impossible is OK unless somebody is paying you overtime to pretend to try.

If you were going to expend effort in any direction, I would suggest opening the Kimono to TweakMB. I suspect there is a lot of help that will come your way if you invest in that direction. Yep, it will reduce the purity of them mod. But if you are getting played 10x more than all the other mods put together there will be plenty of purists to commend your coding strategy. In the meantime, it will make my testing easier...or at least slow down the whining I do every time you release a rev that is not save-game compatible.

As a purely secondary side benefit, it will help you remember what you had in mind back when if real life intercedes.

Why a topic needed to explain this matter? You could easily exclude it from the planned features, such an explanation was never demanded. Worse, now i begin to guess about future of the project in different circumstances and with a different aspect.

I've been getting PMs from people asking me to port the mod over diplomacy 4. To be straight forward it won't be necessary. I'll be focusing my attention on much better tasks. Right now diplomacy 4 is still buggy anyways. I find myself questioning some of the decisions made.

Computica said:
If you all want to know what I'm talking about then go compare 3.22 to 4.01 and you'll see exactly what I mean.

As a side note, the transition from 3.3.2 to 4.0.1 was so big because it included all of the changes in Native between 1.132 and 1.143.

Of course that doesn't make it any less of a pain.  I started the effort then gave up, and it remained unfinished until Waihti pulled a marathon coding session.  So I completely understand why someone wouldn't want to try to backport the changes to a mod that was started pre-1.143.

Back
Top Bottom