SOD Warlords - Voice Acting! *Updated 11/01/2012*

Users who are viewing this thread

Then know this you have my full support. I will spread the word for it, I have some connections throughout the community.

I believe different speeches based on the level of the leadership skill would be very very cool.

UPDATE:

I shortened or entirely re-wrote a number of battle orders and made up 'alternative' lines. If Computica is capable of randomizing line-picking during orders, then now there are 2 variants per order (only native battle orders though, I did not write alternatives for formation orders).

MorrisB said:
UPDATE:

I shortened or entirely re-wrote a number of battle orders and made up 'alternative' lines. If Computica is capable of randomizing line-picking during orders, then now there are 2 variants per order (only native battle orders though, I did not write alternatives for formation orders).
Nice work MB, I love the extra lines. Also Libspit has been added to the list of voice actors coming in with some really nice samples for a wide variety of voices. Remember that the Voice Actors we have are playing the latest WIP of 3.91Beta 4.

@MorrisB  I added the date to the 1st post Headline.

I might be able to help, but note two things:

1- I only have a webcam mic... I dont know if it have an aceptable quality for you.

2- Im spanish native speaker, chilean accent.  I can speak english but with a clearly foreign accent, so, that may be helpful for you for a certain faction, or maybe its not what you are loooking for. Let me know.

UPDATE:

Added alternative Formation order lines (now there's 2 variants per order at formations, just like at standard battle orders). Also switched/edited a number of lines here and there (primarily Charge, Tactical Charge and High Morale lines). Be sure to revise them.

"We are the Reaper, come to harvest their souls !" I was feeling doubtful about the previous version of this too. Still, I think "come" part is irrelevant. It's like "let's organize a party".
I think some of zerrikanian command lines need to be reworked. At least they made me feel not-atmospheric while working on them, antarians though were very great.

Edit: Actually some are ok, but some are lacking spirit if you ask me. I can say which ones are not really good in my opinion, one by one if necessary. But you seem to be doing great, if you spend some more time I believe you can add some spirit. But be aware of putting contradictory commands such as
"Stretch the lines further, dogs !"- Now, there's the commander calls his men dogs. Meaning no respect to them at all.
"We cannot hold this line; accept your weakness and fall back !" - Now, we see the same commander have some empathy here. Or it is what I infer from here. The commander calls his men to accept their weakness. It is something you say to very close friends, to give morale and show your empathy towards your friend. But the commander should be acting differently. Something like "FALL BACK YOU SPINELESS WOMEN!" no telling why they have to fall back. Because dogs don't have to understand what is the logic behind orders given. This is what I mean by contradictory. I may be able to give some more feedback later on about zerrikanian command lines.

Thank you for your feedback  :smile:

The "come to" part is actually (in this context) a more archaic way of saying "coming to". It adds a more medieval feeling while also making the line easier to pronounce.

Also, when I wrote the "accept your weakness" line, I imagined a sophisticated but bossy officer who implies his subordinates are weak (because they fail to hold the line) but doesn't want to let them go to waste (because that means losing the battle entirely). Then again, we think differently so we imagine the attitude of the speaker differently as well in our minds. Nothing wrong about that, just making things clear.

I don't know how many people have noticed, but I aimed to have a sort of duality at all factions. In some cases it's not really apparent (like Antaria or Marina), or barely noticable (Aden), but it really stands out at Villian (savage / poetic) and Zerrikania (sympathetic / bossy). I want to encourage voice actors to use more than a single accent/tone to create a greater sense of diversity (as if there were multiple sergeants responding to your commands).

But by all means, if you can provide alternatives please do so, I can add them to the list any time.

:idea: Ah, well thought out. I'm going to have to start gathering up all the thoughts and notes you've made for every faction. It's weird for me to read this as I get a better understanding of each faction. I'm going to have to find a way where I can etch the depth into each faction and culture without putting it all in just one place. I really want the player to really see each faction not as troops who look different or equipped differently but ones who behave slightly different and seem as a totally different culture.

UPDATE:

LibSpit notified me that there were no lines written for Dismount/Mount Horses commands ! While they are rarely used by most players, it is only fitting these lines should be voiced as well. So I added 2-2 lines per faction for them.  :cool:

*Feels and urge to cut himself*

And while we're at it, I also forgot "Follow Player" lines.

UPDATE:

Not anymore. "Use Any Weapon" and "Follow Player" lines have been added to all factions.

Assuming you have a strong personality and won't comment suicide, I would like to say there are no command lines such as "archers", "infantry", "cavalry".

Master Ronin said:
Assuming you have a strong personality and won't comment suicide, I would like to say there are no command lines such as "archers", "infantry", "cavalry".
In Warband that can get confusing since they can be renamed. Plus remember about what I said. I don't want the voices to get like the ARMA series. I would leave voice calls for groups 1-9 out of it. I know covering everything sounds nice, but if you all can focus on certain areas maybe we can produce better quality in key areas.

Also the way the sound system will be setup will make voices less annoying & spammy. Usual "voice mods" play the sound as soon as a key is hit. Mines will be triggered the opposite way of this. Don't want to give too many details here in the open though. Regardless, keep up the good work everyone.

EDIT:
Do we have any idea on who will do voices for or male & female player? We could have multiple for each but the lines have to be somewhat generic and that person has to have all dialog lines down in order to be a set for the player character. It'd be nice if we can see some female gamers join in the fray, I know there out there.

Computica said:
EDIT:
Do we have any idea on who will do voices for or male & female player? We could have multiple for each but the lines have to be somewhat generic and that person has to have all dialog lines down in order to be a set for the player character. It'd be nice if we can see some female gamers join in the fray, I know there out there.

Question is whether we require Player voices at all. I know I wrote lines for the PC at the duel lines, but if needed I can re-write them as if it is the Strategy Advisor voicing his opinion about the Player's actions.

Would the Player Character have any voiced lines beside duel lines ? I don't think we'll make voice acting for dialogues at least (because that would be a horrible amount of work).

True, for now let's work with what we already have. If there is a time when the mod is popular enough to have them and the response on the voice work is very positive then we can make a decision on whether to add them or not.

Oh. Well that makes a perfect sense, than. Rejoice! No need for suicide!
Cheese! For everyone!

Back
Top Bottom