Erlingar

Users who are viewing this thread

DLvuePv.png
                                                                  ERLINGAR                                                                 
hZJ8rqG.png

(Descendants of Jarl)
Music

ng6OowC.jpg

Óðalsmerki
(Banner of heritage)

We, the descendants of Jarl, are sons of the north.
We are all free men, with no king; answering only to the decisions of the Þingi.
Only in wartime does the Þingi, consisting of all Erlingar, elect a Höfðingi to lead in battle.
The Erlinga Þingi is summoned and led by the Lögsögumaðr, acting as an administrator.
The title of Lögsögumaðr is a permanent responsibility, held until retirement or dismissal by vote.
Membership can only be taken into consideration by recommendation from an Erlingr.
To become an Erlingr one must be unanimously accepted by the Þingi.

Erlingar
Q7wH50K.png

Þorkell, Hárkon, Hengist, Sveinn sterki, Hengwulf, Swólfr, Víga-Styrr, Þorvaldr, Jófríðr, Helgi.

runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png
runec.png

Fragments of
Erlinga sögur ok kvæði

Erlingakviða in fyrsta

IWlLdvF.jpg

Erlingakviða in önnur

Hear me and listen,
                                                                                                                                kin of Heimdallr,
                                                                                                                                I shall tell you,
                                                                                                                                stories of old,
                                                                                                                                how spears pierced men,
                                                                                                                                and brother fought brother;
                                                                                                                                of heathen men,
                                                                                                                                and of their foes.

By northern shores,
                                                                                                                                off the isle of Skandza,
                                                                                                                                dreams were born,
                                                                                                                                in hearts of men,
                                                                                                                                for whom the sea
                                                                                                                                unto them called;
                                                                                                                                upon the waves,
                                                                                                                                they took their parting.

Far did travel,
                                                                                                                                the gleaming ship,
                                                                                                                                by the stem,
                                                                                                                                a young man stood,
                                                                                                                                fixed upon,
                                                                                                                                the edge of the world;
                                                                                                                                here he found,
                                                                                                                                a treasure dear.

By the waves,
                                                                                                                                of western winds,
                                                                                                                                foreign creatures,
                                                                                                                                those of men,
                                                                                                                                met the North-ship,
                                                                                                                                with much toil;
                                                                                                                                blood did seep,
                                                                                                                                into the sea.

Silence followed,
                                                                                                                                the slaughter dear,
                                                                                                                                from the depths, then,
                                                                                                                                a roar did sound,
                                                                                                                                a fellow Northman,
                                                                                                                                saw the sunlight;
                                                                                                                                anger flourished,
                                                                                                                                but friendship dawned.

Of his struggle,
                                                                                                                                he did tell,
                                                                                                                                Harkon Höfðing,
                                                                                                                                returned to life,
                                                                                                                                how he burned,
                                                                                                                                raped and pillaged;
                                                                                                                                western shores,
                                                                                                                                next to the sea.

Luck had failed him,
                                                                                                                                yet found again,
                                                                                                                                fickle friends,
                                                                                                                                were greedy men,
                                                                                                                                an oath was sworn,
                                                                                                                                upon the deck;
                                                                                                                                For honour and glory,
                                                                                                                                Erlingar forth!

[Here, the document has been torn]

[Hereunder loose fragments]

Erlingasöngr inn skamma

Erlingar men || harsh fighters,
                                                                                                                                Why sail to these shores?

For our desires || to fulfill our dreams,
                                                                                                                                Of treasure and bloody battle!

Hengistskviða in meiri

One night in the meadhall
                                                                                                                                In Lower Saxony,
                                                                                                                                Erlingar met Hengist
                                                                                                                                And he met his destiny.

They spoke with two brothers
                                                                                                                                Their names quite odd.
                                                                                                                                Hengist was sober,
                                                                                                                                Horsa was not.

Insults between Horsa
                                                                                                                                and Harkon were passed.
                                                                                                                                Until Hengist struck -
                                                                                                                                By the Gods! - he was fast.

His long seax, shining,
                                                                                                                                In Horsa's neck he placed,
                                                                                                                                A black eye only
                                                                                                                                On Harkon's face.

He then took a place
                                                                                                                                at an Erlingar oar.
                                                                                                                                But forget Horsa
                                                                                                                                He will nevermore.

Thus Hengist lost a brother
                                                                                                                                And gained some new.
                                                                                                                                Men never know
                                                                                                                                What the Norns spin for you.

scaled.php

Even more vikings I suppose?  :eek:
Do you plan to restrict your members to Einherjar-members only, or will you also accept other players? If you plan to welcome any other regular players, feel free to add a "recruiting" tag to your thread  :smile:

You share a name with the noble Eorlingas of old, whom we Fyrningas still sing of.

Good luck, Thorkell!

Moeckerkalfie said:
Do you plan to restrict your members to Einherjar-members only, or will you also accept other players? If you plan to welcome any other regular players, feel free to add a "recruiting" tag to your thread  :smile:

It's supposed to be a group that accepts any potential Vikingr player, as long as such player is chilled, willing to practice and improve in skill, and shows competence in fighting as a group. Definitely open, and yes, we're definitely vikings!

Of the glorious Einherjar, only me and Hengist are part of the Erlingar at the moment. :smile:

HarkonHakoon said:
Moeckerkalfie said:

It's supposed to be a group that accepts any potential Vikingr player, as long as such player is chilled, willing to practice and improve in skill, and shows competence in fighting as a group. Definitely open, and yes, we're definitely vikings!

Of the glorious Einherjar, only me and Hengist are part of the Erlingar at the moment. :smile:

We are not actually recruiting, we are looking for new members; the main qualities we are looking for in a player is maturity, good behaviour, and reliability - we don't want to end up with players just looking for a "clan" or group for the sake of it; much rather players wanting to participate in the project and make the Vikingr experience more enjoyable.

Éadríc said:
You share a name with the noble Eorlingas of old, whom we Fyrningas still sing of.

Good luck, Thorkell!
Thank you Éadríc,
It is not surprising that the name of the Eorlingas resemble our own, as Tolkien borrowed much of his lore from Norse mythology/legends.

Dansk viking said:
Thank you Éadríc,
It is not surprising that the name of the Eorlingas resemble our own, as Tolkien borrowed much of his lore from Norse mythology/legends.

Aye, that he did, but here the likeness is through common heritage, not borrowing, for I don't think he based Eorlingas on any Old Norse material (like the proper name Erlingr), but fashioned it himself, using native Anglo-Saxon naming material and customs.

Hey Erlingrs! I post here because I broke our own forum tryning to post.

So I have worked out some skins for the shields and an improved banner. How do you like these? I wanted to use more white in the shields but they've ended up 50-50. I thought it would be cool to make 1 strange shield for the leader. As warriors of Odin I chose Sleipnir.

For the banner, I added the red line going from bottom to the top. I saw that on other examples.

shieldsmallkopie.jpg

shieldmediumkopie.jpg

shieldlargekopie.jpg

standardvikingkopie2.jpg

Yeah, that really improved the in-game standard, it's pretty much ready to go - Might want to add some texture to the red parts?

The Sleipnir shield is a good idea, maybe it should have two black legs instead of just one - more like:
shieldlargekopiecopy.png
Or alternatively use the Sleipner with Odin from one of the Gotland "image stones" or something similar:
=sleipner.jpg

I'm not sure about how the shields should be though - I'd have to think about that (shouldn't be ahistorical.)
I thought about using something like the "sun-cross" as it'd be a simple design - as I said, I'm not sure...

Yes some of the red got to much on the sleipnir, I used another technique for that shield. A sun cross would be awesome. I you have some pic I can work with that would be great.

Flag looks great, I like the slepinir shield but I'm up for seeing how Thorkell's suggestion would look.

The large shield with the runes in the side looks pretty cool in my opinion.

The small shield could be a little perfected as far as the red part is concerned. Maybe you could try to have the red "tears" more diagonal, and not so oriented towards the horizontal? And then the odal rune placed vertically in the would be top-left white part, I think that could look pretty good!

Damned! I just now realise I've not formally greeted you on this thread, so here it is! Sorry for that!

Shields and banner look fantastic, can't wait to see them on the battlefield. See you soon guys!

Thank you, Björn! I'm looking forward to all the new diversity on the field - I'm excited about the patch generally, can't wait.

Harkon, Hengwulf: I'll continue this discussion on our forum (I don't know why you weren't able to post there, Hengwulf.)

Hey guys, looking great! Just wanted to tell you that the shields on the textures are not at the same orientation as when blocking, like here
shieldsib.jpg

Left is the texture and to the right is the shield in-game in blocking position. Notice the dents/scratches. On the texture the left side is the top!

Back
Top Bottom