Porting Warband animations to original Mount&Blade

Users who are viewing this thread

TLD has been released but I am way too used to the new Warband animations. Since I own both games, I'm trying to port the Warband animations to Mount&Blade 1.011.

In 1.011 attack animations are all in the Skeleton.brf under the "anim_human" category, while in Warband the new anims are in ani_attacks.brf, under their own categories. So far, I copied ani_attacks.brf to the CommonRes folder of 1.011, and added it to the module.ini.

I also tried updating the actions.txt file to point 1.011 to the new animations. Naturally, I changed the resource of the appropriate animations to their respective categories in ani_attacks.brf, rather than "anim_human", and also adjusted the duration and frame counts. So far so good.

However, when I get ingame, the new animations only work when the character attacks straight forward. If my character aims down (as you would do when fighting on a slope or stair), the animation becomes screwed and makes a very odd and short movement.

As far as I know, the 'aiming' of animations is done by blending the straight-ahead animation and another animation that attacks downwards at the lowest angle possible. These "downward" and "upward" animations for the original 1.011 attacks are present in the "anim_human" category, but in Warband I cannot find them anywhere for the new attacks. I suspect this could be the problem, perhaps the system is trying to blend the original downwards animation with the new straight-ahead animation, which has a very distorted result

Anyone any ideas? I'm sure a LOT of people would love being able to port their Warband animations to TLD.

P.S. If I find the solution I won't upload the Warband animations, as I don't think that's allowed. I will post instructions and a modified Actions.txt though, so people who own both games will be able to port them themselves.

I've ported them, it was quite easy to do because they were already integrated into another M&B mod (Fire Arrow). Just needed to copy-paste the right anims and leave the orc animations untouched. :grin:

I'll upload all the stuff you need in a few moments. It includes the actions.txt, module.ini and the resource file.

Edit: there you go: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XJXNMEAL
Just move the TLD folder to Moun&Blade/Modules. But dont forget to backup the files it's going to replace!!

Edit2: Added a second (temporary) mirror: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20951199/TLD+WBANIMS.zip

These animations are from the mod "Fire Arrow". Therefore, all credits go to the mod developers (rucchi and his team).

Now that I think of it, these animations are just slightly different from the WB ones, and I'm not sure about the aiming thing. But at least they look a whole lot better then the Native anims, and you can also aim couched lances (!!).

Thanks a lot for that. I don't think those are the Warband anims, but they look at least very close and are a major improvement. The aiming seems fine for them as well.

Could someone upload that to Mediafire? Megaupload isn't working for me right now.

MrExpendable said:
I hate Megaupload. :neutral:

So I've uploaded the files to Gamefront: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20951199/TLD+WBANIMS.zip

Hope that works for you guys.
Sweeet, thanks.

Caba`drin said:
BattleOfValmy said:
Could someone upload that to Mediafire? Megaupload isn't working for me right now.
I saw the Gamefront mirror, but thought I'd oblige anyhow: MediaFire mirror.

Oh...and thanks!
Thanks for putting up another mirror.

I hope that I'm not breaking any rules here. The animations are from Fire Arrow, and I don't intend to take any credit for their hard work. Maybe it was better to have asked the author beforehand. :???:

MrExpendable said:
I hope that I'm not breaking any rules here. The animations are from Fire Arrow, and I don't intend to take any credit for their hard work. Maybe it was better to have asked the author beforehand. :???:
So far as I am concerned, you haven't. Fire Arrow is open source and the sub-board includes no restrictions on the use of any of the materials therein. Permission first would likely have been ideal, but so long as Fire Arrow/rucchi are credited and there are no requests by rucchi for this to be removed (which would of course be honored) all appears above board (otherwise I'd have said so :wink: ).

Caba`drin said:
MrExpendable said:
So far as I am concerned, you haven't. Fire Arrow is open source and the sub-board includes no restrictions on the use of any of the materials therein. Permission first would likely have been ideal, but so long as Fire Arrow/rucchi are credited and there are no requests by ricchi for this to be removed (which would of course be honored) all appears above board (otherwise I'd have said so :wink: ).
Ah, well thanks for clearing that up. I'll put up the credits to the author, and from now on I'll ask permission whenever I'm going to share materials. :smile:

Can anyone make a video of what they look like?

(if it's OS and they're better than MaB's ones, we could just as well include them in a patch.)

Merlkir said:
Can anyone make a video of what they look like?

(if it's OS and they're better than MaB's ones, we could just as well include them in a patch.)
Here's a video which shows a very chaotic ship battle in Fire Arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiMN5zI35sM

All these animations are being used there.

I just tried these out, they aren't as good as warband but a massive improvement.

HUGE thanks for uploading this, and also to the original creators.

@melkir defo should be included into TLD, but I think long term you guys should try and get an animator on the team to do better ones plus ones for orks etc. Its such a good mod it deserves it.

Back
Top Bottom