[M] Empires of Faith (ex-Caravan Raiders)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added to Warband?

Well you mentioned classes(as in multiplayer classes), team deathmatch, and a server in your post...I think you know it is for Warband.

Very nicely done mod - great to see a playable and fun game mode rather than yet another grand total conversion that never gets finished, or even properly started. It really has a nice, realistic "feel" about how it works, without being something boring in practice.

With the caravan loot boxes that get left too long, they seem to disappear and then reappear further back down the track but rotating in and out of the ground, which looks rather strange; are you using prop_instance_rotate_to_position when you meant to use prop_instance_animate_to_position? They don't seem to stay in place long enough to be collected once they start rotating. The other annoying thing is the game restarting after a seemingly arbitrary amount of time, like when I'm in the middle of battle or just about to collect the pay day for guarding a big caravan; for now it might be good to extend the default game time to 2 hours or more, and maybe have a warning message show at a certain time before the game is going to end - or you might have some other plan. Another possible enhancement would be having ten seconds or so before respawning to choose equipment, but I realise you might have intended it that way for fast paced action.

Thanks to all for the kind words!

Multiplayer is indeed bugged. The message I'm getting is: "Synchronization with server failed; trying to recreate existing object").

I'll fix that, and hopefully the bot-count message spam.

Loot that rolls and sinks as you come up to it is a function of the server-client relationship, I think. What's happening is that after a certain period of time, the loot goes away -- sinks out of sight, is the way that the game handles it. the client (your computer) does not update old loot until you come across it. Freshly-created loot should be stable. I'll try to figure out a way around this.

I can make the game last longer, I think, a la Persistent World. I'm not sure I want to make more of a delay for respawn. I have found that the period is sufficient to choose equipment, because you don't respawn when you're busy with menus

Once this is stable enough, I'll try to do some more maps with different character classes and factions.

Have any modders ever been able to do convincing-looking moving animal-drawn wagons? Because that would work for caravans in European maps.

Thanks again for the feedback!

nijis said:
Have any modders ever been able to do convincing-looking moving animal-drawn wagons? Because that would work for caravans in European maps.
Vincenzo made a cannon that's dragged around by a horse in his mount&musket mod. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,179.0.html

It's really well done and also looks great. The code is equally impressive and complicated though :grin:

Rigadoon said:
Added to Warband?

Well you mentioned classes(as in multiplayer classes), team deathmatch, and a server in your post...I think you know it is for Warband.
I mean added in a patch to the native module. ...And here comes "NO!"

nijis said:
Multiplayer is indeed bugged. The message I'm getting is: "Synchronization with server failed; trying to recreate existing object").
You probably either know how to fix that or can ask another developer who does, but that just means that the clients are trying to spawn items or scene props: you need to only run that part of the script on the server.
nijis said:
Loot that rolls and sinks as you come up to it is a function of the server-client relationship, I think. What's happening is that after a certain period of time, the loot goes away -- sinks out of sight, is the way that the game handles it. the client (your computer) does not update old loot until you come across it. Freshly-created loot should be stable. I'll try to figure out a way around this.
I was only playing on a client hosted ("Host a Game") server, so it isn't anything to do with client and server synchronization: the "rolling" animation is very smooth and circular, just as if the before-mentioned operation was being used: the loot disappears directly downwards after it presumably timed out, but shortly afterward it appears a random short distance away, smoothly rolls through 90 degrees along the ground a short way, then animates directly downwards, appears a short distance away, and keeps repeating that cycle, so after a long time killing caravans there are a whole lot of extra boxes rollling along the ground that can't be collected.

The suggested delay was because of the immediate respawn back at base after death before the rag doll even hits the ground, so if you are not expecting to die, there isn't any time to open the equipment selection screen to delay spawning.

Another suggestion: bots are generally pretty hopeless with spears compared to swinging weapons, so it would probably be more of a challenge if some of the infantry guarding the caravans carried swords or axes - the archers with axes are the most dangerous in close combat, but they probably have low skills for that. Speaking of skills, are the stats copied from the sarranid multiplayer troops? They have worse stats overall compared to the other factions, and the spears don't help either - a very long time ago I made a small tweak to try balance bot stats and equipment, which you might find interesting: here.

Vornne -- thanks for that. I don't actually work at Taleworlds HQ, so unless it's my particular department, I probably know less about how the game works, particularly multiplayer, than most modders -- particularly those like you who have really done envelope-pushing work.

I removed an excess animation from the loot removal trigger, and haven't detected the problem since.

Delaying spawn a bit probably makes sense.

Current version 0.101 now hopefully fixes multiplayer and removes message spam.

I'll consider mixing in some swinging weapons with the guards, and will check out your bot discussion. The guards right now are fairly generic 2nd tier infantry (l9, wp75). I don't want them to be too much of a danger, except in groups, and I don't want them to prevent the raider bots from getting in among the caravan animals and raiding havoc. On the other hand, it should be a little bit dangerous to attack a caravan.

nijis said:
Thanks to all for the kind words!

I'll fix that, and hopefully the bot-count message spam.

I can make the game last longer, I think, a la Persistent World. I'm not sure I want to make more of a delay for respawn. I have found that the period is sufficient to choose equipment, because you don't respawn when you're busy with menus

Once this is stable enough, I'll try to do some more maps with different character classes and factions.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Realistic carts are possible indeed, you can ask Vincenzo for that.

Also, look at the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPPUhpxK00g&feature=related

nijis, I am disappoint...that taleworlds hasn't featured this as a core part of M&B:W multiplayer, it sounds like a hell of a lot of fun and creative to boot. I'll be sure to give it a try, great work. :grin:

Sadly, I couldn't find time to play it yet but with what i read so far, i believe a Captain NPC which is leading the caravan would be a nice extra.

Ah, that is an impressive bit of animation, there. I'll look into something like that. Thanks!

There might be a role for a caravan leader. For the time being, I'm trying to minimize different bot AIs, but possibly in an update.

Currently working on an Afghanistan-inspired mountain map, then possibly a livestock-stealing, village-raiding game mode set in the Anglo-Scottish borders.

I now want to drive down to the border and attain stolen english sheep for you to model.

Village game-raid mode, something like the one in Vikingr where you burn the houses with Torches?

I took a look at how this works, and from what I can see, basically the caravans move from point A to B, using the entry points and A and B. Im supposing that the raiders act like "normal", as in just charge in to attack the closest enemy, not pinpoint the cavarans? I also noticed that the scene had no AI mesh, and that might be the reason the caravans move straight to point B instead of using the roads? Ill need to test that by adding an AI mesh, it might **** up the raider pathfinding though, if the AI mesh only covers the roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom