Battle of Greasy Grass Debate

Users who are viewing this thread

The Battle Of Greasy Grass AKA The Battle Of the Little Bighorn

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT by Gabby:
Sorry guys, but that Topic is about SCREENSHOTS.
Or at least 1860s (1860/69) issues. Custer last stand is 1776, 1876 already (gghhh, can t believe I did that!!  :oops: I have my Mods in my mind, heheh ).
Pls limit to minimum debates or start a new Topic
:wink:

Tomahawk_N_Rifle said:
Nice pictures Gabrilduro!

Battle of Greasy Grass (Aftermath)
greasygrass1.png

greasygrass2.png

greasygrass3.png
Dissagree.  I'l post on how it SHould look, >=(

Your screens are epic, only your indians are one man armies and i only see dead SOLDIERS. whcih is kinda unrealistic.
cusrstd1.gif

Tomahawk_N_Rifle said:
Well I did state that it was the aftermanth  :wink:  The fallen warriors have already been buried.
yea, i thought of that after the post.. apologies there. =D
Although  Indian views and US views on this fight will alays be different, and as there is NO clear evidence we can only  guess on what happend on last stand hill.

Anyway, i'd like to team up with you, we, could make a reconstruction  suiting both Native and White-ma,, =)
what do you say?

By the time the end came, most were running away to no avail. Most all the troops were overrun in small groups, not one large group. Tho the movie style version you have is what folks think really happened.

173D said:
By the time the end came, most were running away to no avail. Most all the troops were overrun in small groups, not one large group. Tho the movie style version you have is what folks think really happened.
actually  10-15 men might have ran away, since most of the command including Custer died on last stad hill.
Seeing your commander killed and the odds being 10-1 isn't that good for morale =s  so yea they ran,  the "heroic" last stand was finished when Custer fell.

Haha I was just kidding!  Sure I'd love to team up with you in making a video.  I just wish this game had a real time editor where I could spawn certain type of AI, along with simpler way of editing my armies equipment, etc.

Well there were witnesses that survived at the Battle of Greasy Grass.  The views maybe different but the truth lies in what the survivors witnessed and they were the Arapaho, Cheyenne, and Lakota Warriors.

Well ALRIGHT! xD

But at least Custer didn't run!  he was hit in his side (thigh) and then in the left part of the rib-cage (henry rifle bullets)
then an  indian put a bullet in his left temple to be sure he wasn't feigning death.

Although here again we cannot be certain.
Even indians who are the best rescource of what happend can unbale be 100% sure.
I Want to make this  film awesome Tomahawk =D  you've seen my trailer, (the prob with my trailer is it's too "what happed in view of the US cavalry")  but i'd like to make one with you =D  I'l PM  you on ideas and dates to start filming! =)

George A. Custer said:
I hope you all understand that custer was indeed very very close to winning here!
No, he was horrifically slaughtered and lost all his men due to his disacceptance of new technologies that were the reason the settlers had even made it that far west. He was an ignorant old-school commander that's stupidity wouldn't be even close to being recreated until WW1. Sorry, but I hate when people try to glorify Custer, he got hundreds of good men killed while trying to attack an indian village with outdated weaponry.

he got hundreds of good men killed

THAT is a fact!  :neutral:
Actually he had THOUSANDS of men dead under his command during his life.
He has the highest number of dead people during his "crazy" charges, and the highest number of personal horses that he was mounting.
That is due to his "strategy" when charging: point the objective and CHARGE!  :???:
He was always so lucky to survive to that (only got seriously injured one time in the ACW if I am not wrong) that in the '60s and 70s ppl would refer to a "Custer's Luck" when speaking about lucky episodes.

The real hero of the USA army at the little Big Horn was Cpt. Benteen!
http://www.historynet.com/frederick-w-benteen.htm

HE saved the rest of Custer s troops, in a fast but organized way, digging trenches and taking care of all things and men.

Gab

GABRILDURO said:

He has the highest number of dead people during his "crazy" charges, and the highest number of personal horses that he was mounting.
That is due to his "strategy" when charging: point the objective and CHARGE!  :???:
He was always so lucky to survive to that (only got seriously injured one time in the ACW if I am not wrong) that in the '60s and 70s ppl would refer to a "Custer's Luck" when speaking about lucky episodes.

HE saved the rest of Custer s troops, in a fast but organized way, digging trenches and taking care of all things and men.

Gab
Thank you, I wanted to say thousands but I felt you may think I was exaggerating. By the rest of Custer's troops,it was actually the divisions that weren't in the battle, only a single man(Frank Finkel) survived the battle and he just fled. In recent years scientists have actually been able to track the movement and fighting of every individual soldier, due to the way carbines uniquely marked the shells and musket balls were custom made. 2/3's of Custers men had been surround on two separate hills and were barely holding off, and Custer of course orders the men on the other hill to break their circle and come around him. Maybe a make a circle command is needed for this mod?

GABRILDURO said:

Gab

I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but I saw it just the moment and feel urged to say a little bit. Firstly, we all have to take into account that there are several theories about what happened to Gen. Custer and his five companies. I would say at least 4 main theories with some scientific background and a lot more of pure nonsense. In none of the more modern theories Custer is accused to have used outdated equipment or outdated thoughts imho. The 7th Cavalry, as most other cavalry regiments, used the Springfield Model 1873 45-55 carbine which was introduced as an updated version of the Springfield-Allen trapdoor conversions first used in 1866. That's hardly outdated. The gun was rather good and better suited than Henry or Winchester repeaters for the military use. Custer left behind (beneath the sabers) two gatling guns for which some put blame on him. Perhaps they never visited the Powder River Basin and the country near the battlefield. It would have been impossible to move the arkward and heavy cannon-like machine-guns fast enough in the rough country where the Lakota and Cheyenne bands were thought to be. Custer's greatest problem was to find the Indians and hammer them fast so he had to abandon all the heavy stuff.

And outdated thoughts? Custer had to attack and defeat a camp with a lot of warriors. The days before the battle the regiment had passed the massive trail of the camp from time to time and estimates of Indian warrior's strength among the scouts were up to 4.000 (surely an overestimation, but Custer was aware he had to face superior numbers). Custer pointed out to his officers before the battle that there were lots of foes. He could never have beaten such a camp with a defensive strategy. He was an offensive mind and had had great success with shock attacks with fewer soldiers against the many. So maybe he planned an aggressive pincer attack against the camp. Presumably he was also aware of the fact that between 1858 and 1876 19 attacks by U.S. forces on Indian camps had taken place of which 19 had been successful. Not a bad percentage.

Maybe he made some mistakes, maybe not. Depends on what accounts you base your interpretation of his way to the river and his timing. Unfortunately Custer's plan is not known, not least because Reno and Benteen and McDougall as the three other battalion commanders lied to some extent (partly to darken their own mistakes) at the Reno Court of Inquiry. A last word, looking only for Custer's, Reno's or Benteen's mistakes also takes a little bit from the performance of the Lakotas and Cheyennes.

Back
Top Bottom