Votes: 209 11.6%
  • Elves

Votes: 409 22.6%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 190 10.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Maitreya,

Probably one of the cheat options (enable cheats in launcher, then use the action menu to access the various kinds of developer commands) will help. Try spawning a looter party nearby, and see if he chases. Or maybe spawn a bunch and then engage and see if you can help shoot his men to death. There might also be something in the faction menus to change their commands, but if not, maybe just use "kill lord" a few times until it gets brand.

Tingyun said:
I think RCM actually has pretty good balance, and I really appreciate Khamukamu's work in porting it. Base TLD balance isn't bad either, though I wish orcs were stronger to make up for them not really having the hordes one would expect.

However, if you run around gondor with a full party of elite elves, something that never happened in the lord of the rings and doesn't really make sense, then mordor is going to get slaughtered in a pretty trivial way. Hell, with a good mount and some backup arrows (provided we are in one of the maps that has inventory boxes) soloing armies of 100 orcs isn't that difficult anyway, just circle until they run out of arrows, and then shoot the bunched up blob.

But the game is much more fun and balanced if you play with some houserules to constrain yourself. One easy one for good factions is to always use the troops of the area you are in or a neighboring territory, and no elves outside of their own territory. Makes for a more interesting and varied game anyway. Another is only allowed to join every other defensive siege battle (because if the player is there, it becomes pretty trivial), which gives evil a chance to conquor some territory.

There really isn't a good balance because of Warband, autocalc, more than anything.  I won with the Elves doing just as you said, putzing around Mordor, getting rich and saving Gondor time and time again. 

I played the orcs and the problem is the game gets kinda boring.  Not enough to fight.

I am playing Gondor right now and at day 100 I've keep every Gondor city from being captured, in part gaming the system since sieges are a bit wonky path finding wise in places.  It started out great, I followed the lords and we took our the Corsair forces, then Haradim, but the lords decided to siege the orc sentry post because it seemed like a good idea I guess and they got destroyed 1-1 by Khand.  In the mean time I saved Caire Andros (I know I have spellings wrong here I'm at work), in fact I've saved it three times now.  Gondor is still strong, Mordor is average or strong depending on the time, but the Gondor lords don't do anything now but a few who die without any troop recovery.    I'd love to go North to get enough rep for Glorfindel or take out Moria so the Elves go to Rohan, but Gondor always needs a sitter.

One thing about evil is you kill off an army, and its back full strength or stronger pretty much instantly.  This is lore friendly, but I'd love just to have a day or two to breath and run a few more missions before the next siege.

Out of the features you can turn on. Do they all work?

1. Can you die?
2. Should i have on the option where other lords die? Or does it cause glitches?

Also which settings and TWEAKS should i turn on to make it the most realistic and lore friendly?

Using Banastre's mod, ran into this bug.  It's mildly hilarious, thought I'd share.  These three hundred bandits have been clumping up on this one strangely hard to engage scout party for...  basically a month and a half now.  I pass them on every trip to the Haradrim camp.
8E627CEEE6509175D61F26045C88D95504076B58

Anyone else ever seen this?

Josh42392 said:
Out of the features you can turn on. Do they all work?

1. Can you die?
2. Should i have on the option where other lords die? Or does it cause glitches?

Also which settings and TWEAKS should i turn on to make it the most realistic and lore friendly?
1- After battles ( if you turn that option off), if you lose you have a small chance to die. That means you can't play any more on that save game
2- This is usually turned on. All npc lords have small chance to die after battle which they lose.

The only problem I've found with perma-death for generals is that it makes the unsiegeable factions take FOREVER to bring down.  Not a huge problem for Mordor or Isengard who have a ton of generals and thus can afford to lose a couple and still have plenty of fighters, but Mirkwood is a real bear to bring down if you're stuck hitting the King over and over and over again because he's the only party that still bothers to march.

Alright everyone, I've been away for quite a while, but I've gotten a new PC that im probably going to be using from now on, so I can get on TLD programming again. My old laptop bit the dust after hanging by a thread for about 2 years. I've got a lot of stuff to prepare for returning to college, but for the first couple of weeks I'll be playing TLD and fixing bugs hopefully after I get settled in.

Welcome back!

I know Swyter has been working hard on fixes to the Linux version, as well as other shader fixes.

Just a few things that some would consider 'urgent' to fix:
- Formations AI
-- I haven't played for a while, so I can't really be 100% sure, but I don't think this is working completely as designed. Perhaps you can take a look at motomataru's Form AI code and compare

- Spears of Blathonir quest
-- This is just because people seem to expect the quest to be finished, when it is not. So either we finish it up, deactivate it, or have some text added to the quest saying that it's not finished yet :smile:

- Issues with Sieges
-- Door gets irritating to destroy
-- I think there are problems with Formations AI during sieges too... i dont quite remember.

New feature that could help with people that may not have a lot of time to play, but still want to play and 'finish' TLD :
- Allow player to siege / Tell Marshal to Siege
-- Need X amount of relations with Faction / Marshal
-- Need Y amount of Influence
-- Need Z amount of Resources

I guess there are others out there, but these are the ones I remember.

I think the unsiegeable factions present an issue simply because sometimes they stop producing parties (especially if they've lost several generals) and it just gets impossible to cut them down faster than they regenerate.

I feel like the war could be accelerated somewhat if losing cities actually created a sort of faction strength 'bleed'.  That'd help with the long, grindy nature of the war while not being unrealistic or lore unfriendly.

Hi, I'm coming back to this mod after a little over a year, saw the info about the Nightly Patches(thanks for continuing to work on this Swyter and co :mrgreen:) and installed the latest one. I actually loaded an old save, second playthrough about 20 days in and things seemed to be working fine, although I get a "debug" message following all combat, and all caravans still seem to be called zupdog :lol: Should I do a full reinstall?

Metaldwarf said:
Hi, I'm coming back to this mod after a little over a year, saw the info about the Nightly Patches(thanks for continuing to work on this Swyter and co :mrgreen:) and installed the latest one. I actually loaded an old save, second playthrough about 20 days in and things seemed to be working fine, although I get a "debug" message following all combat, and all caravans still seem to be called zupdog :lol: Should I do a full reinstall?

I'd recommend against loading an old save, as odd bugs can occur from that. Starting a new game would probably be better.

I'm also currently running a playthrough as a lorien elf. Formations seem to be working well so far. I'm currently going through and searching out minor bugs like the occasional text glitches and stuff. I'll start work on major bugfixes and fixing or disabling unfinished stuff early september/late august.

Super tiny typo - the local authority at Gundabad is called the 'Mater' of the Caves.  I assume that one's supposed to be Master.

I've noticed a handful of other weird things but that's the only one that comes to mind.

Haven't noticed any weirdness with formations aside from the fact that the AI likes to turn to face me behind them while my archers shoot them in the back and just stand there but that's just the Mount and Blade AI at work.

CppCoder said:
Metaldwarf said:

I'd recommend against loading an old save, as odd bugs can occur from that. Starting a new game would probably be better.

I'm also currently running a playthrough as a lorien elf. Formations seem to be working well so far. I'm currently going through and searching out minor bugs like the occasional text glitches and stuff. I'll start work on major bugfixes and fixing or disabling unfinished stuff early september/late august.
Khamukkamu said:
Yes :smile:

Make sure you install the latest nightly patch.

If you need more info, go here

Well that was strange, I replied to this hours ago but apparently it never posted. :facepalm: Thanks to both of you for the replies! Looks like my Man of Rohan will be getting a fresh start, though I'm tempted to just do another Dwarven playthrough. Though the point was to get a new perspective, so maybe I should do a full 180 and go Orc. :idea:

Metaldwarf said:
Looks like my Man of Rohan will be getting a fresh start, though I'm tempted to just do another Dwarven playthrough. Though the point was to get a new perspective, so maybe I should do a full 180 and go Orc. :idea:
That's a new perspective alright.  You can dedicate your character to the noble goal of serving the king of Gondor.....on a plate.

Is there any hope for getting ai to aim a bit lower on orcs, or is that not achievable in the current engine? Amazing mod either way, just the one thing that bothers me is how often the elves miss above the orc heads with the hitbox issue...though perhaps fixing it would create balance issues.

Honved said:
Metaldwarf said:
Looks like my Man of Rohan will be getting a fresh start, though I'm tempted to just do another Dwarven playthrough. Though the point was to get a new perspective, so maybe I should do a full 180 and go Orc. :idea:
That's a new perspective alright.  You can dedicate your character to the noble goal of serving the king of Gondor.....on a plate.

Uruk reporting for duty!

I'm seeing a lot of what appears to be snow on the ground on the map, particularly in forested regions.I thought it might be a compatibility issue with a graphics mod (World Map HD v1.2) which I didn't have installed for TLD before but I just tried installing it in the TLD folder and nothing changed.

I reinstalled the mod and the nightly update which seems to have taken care of the problem.Although now it seems to me that the perspective for a dwarf is even lower than before, or am I just seeing things?

Hi Metaldwarf,

Are you playing on Warband or Vanilla M&B?

From my experience, the perspective is the same, but slightly better in Warband cause you can zoom out!

I remember my Dwarf playthrough in Vanilla M&B and that took a while to learn :smile:

Back
Top Bottom