• Uruks/uruk-hai

Votes: 209 11.6%
  • Elves

Votes: 409 22.6%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 190 10.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

The thing I find maddening is when a lord/lady with a rather large host (150 or so) who's supposed to be "patrolling around X" is completely oblivious to the fact that X is being assaulted and his host and mine together could make the difference in saving it, but I haven't got enough juice with the faction to tell him/her to rush back to X.  I was playing yesterday and Calembel fell in just such a fashion.

And riderless wargs do sound like kind of a PITA.  I'm sort of glad the current iteration of the Warband patch just has them disappear ("fall unconscious" when their riders die).

Annoyingly I started to implement scrolling cloud shadows in the overall map. Looks cool yet subtle and *objectively* improves the ambient factor. Takes me half an hour to get it working and pushed into the dev build, which is a plus against more urgent programming things.

I'll try to tweak the warg things, and I agree with most of the postmortem up there. But, as you have seen with the formations code debacle I'm not a gameplay programmer. I don't seem to have patience to playtest. Play the game is the less fun I can have, moving clouds all the way!

Re: Shaneike's post-campaign victory musings:

Yes, mostly. A lot of your complaints can be somewhat mended by better tactics. Olog-hai especially I think are almost perfect. It's true they're designed to offset the players and their tactical and fighting abilities (way over anything the AI can do). But be honest, how often does anything else make you fear for you troops' lives?
As for wargs, I'm hoping they'll work better in Warband, where their hitboxes might not clip as badly and they might be easier to dispatch. They are also made to flee after a few minutes of battle without a rider, but we might need to look at that script again, because it might not work properly.

Sieging for players is number 1 on our ToFix in further patches list. I went through all the dev discussions we had about it and it's a bit baffling nobody realized our arguments against it worked only for lower level players. (and not for someone with the rank of "Hero of Xfaction". We have a pretty simple system in mind, but who knows when (if ever) we'll get to implement it.

Heck, it'd be nice if a skilled coder chose to help out, since the thing is open source and all, but those are hard to come by.

@Swyter: oh, sounds fun! Interesting coincidence too, I had a dream last night, that we had a feature similar to that - a dark cloud over Mordor which had several different sizes of spread based on Mordor's faction strength. You know, for immershun. :wink:

Mr.Milker said:
@Swyter: oh, sounds fun! Interesting coincidence too, I had a dream last night, that we had a feature similar to that - a dark cloud over Mordor which had several different sizes of spread based on Mordor's faction strength. You know, for immershun. :wink:

That is relatively easy to do. And sounds fun. Also, check out the cloud stuff, which I already pushed to the SVN last night.

--
Edit: Look at me mum, look at my relatively complex mapping of a faction strength mapped as a pow curve which will act as a modulator for the strategic terrain pixel shaders of Arda. Who's bad at maths now?

Code:
# (63) Propagate Mordor strength as shader uniform every hour...
(1,
[
  # get the general strength from the faction slot (which can be from 0 to 8000)
  (faction_get_slot, ":faction_strength", "fac_mordor", slot_faction_strength),

# normalize it to the unit by dividing it by the maximum, taking care of
  # the two digits for decimals as we are doing integer operations on a future float
  (val_div,":faction_strength", (fac_str_max)/100), # fixed point with two decimal points

# reverse it, so that the more powerful the faction, darker the map
  (val_sub,":faction_strength", 100),

# instead of linearly mapping the ambient light... map it to a pow curve,
  # darker the dark, brighter when Mordor is weak, looks less flat ambient-wise.
  (store_pow, ":faction_strength", ":faction_strength", 2.2 * 100),

# min:   0 = 0.0f 
  # max: 100 = 1.0f
  (set_shader_param_float, "@swy_mordor_strength_factor", ":faction_strength"),
]),

High definition videos are overrated. Have a ****ty Tumblr gif with a strange white stripe instead:
s8WMZd9.gif

It's pretty relaxing, I think I'm going to turn TLD into a cloud simulator.

Current Mordor hack cloud gives me a mostly grey landscape (with the mountains and swamps having their regular shaders). I think I did all the usual steps right though, so it could be the fact I have an Nvidia card here?

Mr.Milker said:
Current Mordor hack cloud gives me a mostly grey landscape (with the mountains and swamps having their regular shaders). I think I did all the usual steps right though, so it could be the fact I have an Nvidia card here?

Use the previous commit for the time being. I'm using a hack to see the Mordor shadow without clutter, I thought that I would push another commit before anybody noticing that, but I ended up rolling back and rewriting stuff. Try to defeat Mordor or lower its strength, you will see how the shade of grey changes accordingly. It's all done game-wise.

Cute shaders are the missing piece here. And I'm not sure about how to make it look good, trial and error, I suppose. Just like with the scrolling cloud shadows of yesterday. Also, I've made advancements in the formations front.

Question for you, Swyter, on the formations:  are the formation bugs in the warband port responsible for the following behavior? Namely, it sees that no matter what you tell your guys during a siege defense (whether via F-key shortcuts or the backspace menu) they just end up charging?

Swyter said:
Mr.Milker said:

That is relatively easy to do. And sounds fun. Also, check out the cloud stuff, which I already pushed to the SVN last night.

--
Edit: Look at me mum, look at my relatively complex mapping of a faction strength mapped as a pow curve which will act as a modulator for the strategic terrain pixel shaders of Arda. Who's bad at maths now?

Code:
# (63) Propagate Mordor strength as shader uniform every hour...
(1,
[
  # get the general strength from the faction slot (which can be from 0 to 8000)
  (faction_get_slot, ":faction_strength", "fac_mordor", slot_faction_strength),

# normalize it to the unit by dividing it by the maximum, taking care of
  # the two digits for decimals as we are doing integer operations on a future float
  (val_div,":faction_strength", (fac_str_max)/100), # fixed point with two decimal points

# reverse it, so that the more powerful the faction, darker the map
  (val_sub,":faction_strength", 100),

# instead of linearly mapping the ambient light... map it to a pow curve,
  # darker the dark, brighter when Mordor is weak, looks less flat ambient-wise.
  (store_pow, ":faction_strength", ":faction_strength", 2.2 * 100),

# min:   0 = 0.0f 
  # max: 100 = 1.0f
  (set_shader_param_float, "@swy_mordor_strength_factor", ":faction_strength"),
]),

:lol: Haha. Awesome.

Papageno said:
Question for you, Swyter, on the formations:  are the formation bugs in the warband port responsible for the following behavior? Namely, it sees that no matter what you tell your guys during a siege defense (whether via F-key shortcuts or the backspace menu) they just end up charging?

No, that's not a bug. Sieges have scripted behavior for botha attackers and defenders.

Papageno said:

Yes, sort of. Taleworlds removed the definitions of the different order keys and we don't have direct control over the overlay.
We have to work around that somehow and bind our custom formation functions into that dash menu.

Including the Hold-F1 flag thing which comes with Warband. Hacks, ugly duct tape hacks everywhere!

Edit: Who wants a bit of Mordor's psychedelic corruption?

Mr.Milker said:
Papageno said:

No, that's not a bug. Sieges have scripted behavior for botha attackers and defenders.

So there's no overriding that script? Because it seems that despite orders to the contrary everybody just does their thing.

BTW, is your avatar a picture of the girl who plays Arya Stark on Game of Thrones, making the weirdest possible face?

Papageno said:
Mr.Milker said:
Papageno said:

So there's no overriding that script? Because it seems that despite orders to the contrary everybody just does their thing.

BTW, is your avatar a picture of the girl who plays Arya Stark on Game of Thrones, making the weirdest possible face?

Someone suggested you could create a new group beside infantry, archers, cavalry and companions and put all your soldiers there, so that they wouldn't be influenced by the script. No idea if that actually works.

Also yes.

I know Sir Swyter expressed that his goal was to make a playable warband version of TLD, not to fix any original problems or develop the mod much further. But for future referance, I think it's a good idea if "Human Flesh" drops as part of the loot when you've won against a enemy with humans. It makes sense and is more convenient.

BTW why isn't true to lore that elves can't be captured (or eaten)?

I have a question about a problem I run into every once in a while, namely: I'm in a battle, and by mistake I somehow hit a key that takes me to the options menu (maybe I hit the escape key, not sure--is there another key that brings up the same menu during battle?).  Anyway, when I come back from that screen, suddenly my frame rate drops to single digits for the rest of the battle, and on top of that, the "game log" messages that scroll up on the lower left of the screen are gone.  Even in the next battle they don't come back (although the frame rate is back to normal).  I actually have to quit out of Warband completely for things to reset.  Is this a Warband thing generally or a TLD thing?  It's pretty annoying.

Back
Top Bottom