• Uruks/uruk-hai

Votes: 209 11.6%
  • Elves

Votes: 409 22.6%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 190 10.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Dwarfs looks cool too, Iron Hills Infantry are good?

After I complete the game with Isengard... I'm planing a "Northern Army" Dwarven Hero with Mirkwood Archers, Dwarwen Infantry and Dale Cavalry...

...So can't give you 1st hand experience about Dwarves. As enemies, their infantry isn't as lasting as I would expect and their archers are surprisingly effective at middle range, both things I find a bit strange. I repeat, the key would probably be in how their items are configured. Maybe some1 on the "good side" can explain you better why is the case.

I've completed a game with dwarfs, and their infantry is about as good as any infantry in the game, somewhat vulnerable to missiles though, despite their small stature. Their archers are surprisingly good as ragamer said. 

The items for your dwarf is not better at all than other factions, not even the "special gift" armor (except the helmet perhaps), just cheaper. You can get sweet stuff for 10k re.points.

My "tactic" was just to blob up elite infantry and charge when I came close, or just wait for the enemy to charge if they had cav.

Sorry if this is posted some where obvious, but how do you remove the hlsl_data_handles[9-45] error at the startup of the mod? Also because of the hlsl_data_handles error, I think you get some odd bug where you can't talk to Thranduil......I didn't try it with the other lords :l

https://imageshack.com/a/BwKq/1

EDIT: I deleted it then extracted from archives etc. started the game up and I did not have this issue no more :razz:

Andöril said:
The mod does suffer from the mere 150 unit cap. I'd like to see how 100 Uruk-hai can handle 200 Rohirrim calvary, but since the battle would be scaled down so much the Uruk-hai lose their advantage of having multiple ranks of spears since there would only be about 30 of them on the battlefield at once.

Yea, I have battlesizer, with a battle size of 500. So against elves, during 3.23, I had 100+ Elite orcs as my shield wall, and a mix of urukhai champions and berserkers behind them. With proper formations ai, you can slowly move this group towards eleven archers, with only the orcs getting hit by arrows.  When the berserkers get close, well...it's quite a sight :wink:

As for dwarves, I believe they have the best infantry in the game. Also when they are in shield wall, they can be quite difficult to deal with.

Of course, playing Rohan with Formations Ai also means that you can perform better and smarter cavalry charges with a wedge formation, as long as you lead the charge.

Of course, playing Rohan with Formations Ai also means that you can perform better and smarter cavalry charges with a wedge formation, as long as you lead the charge.

I finnally ironed out most bugs related to Formation AI. The "autonomous" movement, indeed is linked to how the player is considered by the scripts (I don't know how hard would be to simply make the scripts ignore the player when assembling the squads... Would solve a lot of weirdness).

...If you remain stationary you can command remotely a formed stack clicking on the map. For example, if you are a horseman, you can park on the back, order your cavalry to form a wedge and swipe with it the entire battlefield remotely... For as long as you don't move, their "flag" will not be reset to your current possition.

Just in case anyone is looking for some other good LotR experiences, you should check out the equally excellent Third Age Total War mod for Medieval II. I think they even promoted this mod in its infancy during the original M&B version's development (not 100% sure though, it's been ages since I looked at their forums or anything).

It's obviously not as personal an experience as this mod is since it's a large scale strategy game and it takes more inspiration from Jackson's movies than it does the books, but it's also great and worthy of any fan of Tolkien's appreciation. I've noticed people complaining about a lack of other good LotR mods and games on other forums when they talk about TLD, which is why I'm bothering to post all of this. They're mods for totally different genres, but I think anyone who likes TLD will like TATW too! It also shares the deep attention to detail that made TLD so remarkable, not to mention a lack of artificial balancing.

Speaking of that the Veiled Stars that's made for warband xD is in pre-pre-alpha stage so they only have 2 factions playable rohan and gondor and the goblins still look like men but it is alpha version

Just a little shout out :grin:

P.S. Spiders are freakin scary :O I hate playing as a elf in mirkwood :sad:

Where do I put the warg fix file? Because i'm crashing when I fight that bear and wargs

ThefightingLegion said:
Speaking of that the Veiled Stars that's made for warband xD is in pre-pre-alpha stage so they only have 2 factions playable rohan and gondor and the goblins still look like men but it is alpha version

Just a little shout out :grin:

P.S. Spiders are freakin scary :O I hate playing as a elf in mirkwood :sad:

Where do I put the warg fix file? Because i'm crashing when I fight that bear and wargs
Spiders still scare me and I'm at the point where I can drop them with a single arrow. It's weird, because I love spiders in reality. Something about their design is just so unsettling. I do love the arm waving "Victory!!" dance they do when they kill you though!

Swyter I just want to apologize.

And want to say that I found the warg patch you posted. Except... It doesn't want to download. When I click on the link It is just a huge spam of (what I think) is code.

If you could renew it that would be nice.

Mr.Milker said:
They don't. Spiders have their own sounds.

Very creepy sounds, scared the **** out of me the first time I met with them.

Their victory cheers are orcish and they apparently have hooves, though :razz:

I'm messing with Troll behaviour (Changing their upkeep, attack chance and how easy they are to stun) and found a strange construction on their stun code (The sources I got are the last posted on MBX forum... 3.23 version):

Into "module_missions_template_TLD.py":
Code:
               # test for stun
		(try_begin),
                        (store_add,":last_hp",3),
			(ge,":last_hp",":cur_hp"),
			(assign,":status",-4), # STUNNED: skip 4 "turns"
		(try_end),

"Store_add" requires 3 parameters... Which is the 1st anomaly... The second is that adding any value to "last_hp" would "permastun" trolls unless they recover HP in-battle. Trolls swing ATM and more or less behave properly, meaning this strange construction seems harmless... But that "store_add" command can be adding something to somewhere uncontrollably, that's why I'm reporting this... Just in case.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add the file were this lines are: "module_missions_template_TLD.py"

ragamer said:
I'm messing with Troll behaviour (Changing their upkeep, attack chance and how easy they are to stun) and found a strange construction on their stun code (The sources I got are the last posted on MBX forum... 3.23 version):

Into "module_missions_template_TLD.py":
Code:
               # test for stun
		(try_begin),
                        (store_add,":last_hp",3),
			(ge,":last_hp",":cur_hp"),
			(assign,":status",-4), # STUNNED: skip 4 "turns"
		(try_end),

"Store_add" requires 3 parameters... Which is the 1st anomaly... The second is that adding any value to "last_hp" would "permastun" trolls unless they recover HP in-battle. Trolls swing ATM and more or less behave properly, meaning this strange construction seems harmless... But that "store_add" command can be adding something to somewhere uncontrollably, that's why I'm reporting this... Just in case.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add the file were this lines are: "module_missions_template_TLD.py"

Yeah, you are right. That
Code:
store_add
(A = B + C) should be a
Code:
val_add
(A += B).

I know where that code is, I've been deciphering most of that file carefully
to fix the lone wargs mechanic in Warband this week long. Many thanks!

whirring said:
Swy, when you release a patch?

Soon. But I'll probably release a complete quick fix compilation patch with my best moments (before dumping the full thing) in a few days.
You know that I'm working hard, but I don't want to disappoint anybody giving false dates.

I try to keep it sort of professional and transparent, if that means anything these days.
But this is a hobby and, as such, things are constantly moving.

PLEASE HELP ME
I am playing as a dwarf of Erebor and EVERY time I try to fight Gundabad soldiers the game crashes (no messages other than "mount and blade: warband has stopped working) before the battle starts.
It is VERY annoying and I can't finish a quest because of it.  Is there any way I could possibly fix it?

Back
Top Bottom