Votes: 6 14.0%
  • natural disaster

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Synelor said:
Mister Polifax said:
The trolls strike again.

I don't know, Brandis seems quite legit.
Where are you gettin' this trolling stuff?
jesus-says-meme-generator-jesus-says-you-ve-been-trolled-aaebc2.jpg

I think a faith based crusade would be cool.  You could utalize the faith units.  Perhaps even have it be a random faith wach game with slightly different troop trees?

Mister Polifax said:
Only if I can join them, I am a christian and would be offended if my religion was made out to be evil.
SOD Faiths are like but not related to real life faiths.

Wump said:
I think a faith based crusade would be cool.  You could utalize the faith units.  Perhaps even have it be a random faith wach game with slightly different troop trees?
Faith depends on what type of Faith troop you will have.

Mister Polifax said:
Only if I can join them, I am a christian and would be offended if my religion was made out to be evil.
This is one of the key reasons fictional religions are the only ones used.  If you want to think of any of the religions as your own on your own game, feel free.  You can also dress only in pancho's and dance the polka continuously while playing the mod in your own home, on your own system.  For the purpose of developing a mod that is fun to play for a large number of incredibly different people, religion is acknowledged as a force in game, but specifics are never offered. 

I am seriously worried about how this will function in multiplayer and recommend putting together a sheet of boilerplate advising players to keep their religious concerns to themselves during multi-player play.  The moment this stops being a game for players, the mod stops being entertainment.  I can easily see some damaged individual making a giant pain of themselves; and it doesn't matter if they are the biggest fan or the worst enemy of any religion, they are still making the mod look bad when they can't let things go in public.

Seriously Daedelus, I believe you continuously overreact the issue.

'Chosen religion' in multi won't influence anything but equipment. If someone is a fanatic racist/zealot in the first place, he/she doesn't need a mod to annoy others. Such a person can yell christian/muslim/whatever propaganda in your face even as a Swadian/Sarranid warrior. In a mod where everything is fictional, I don't believe it's the modder's fault if several particular players happen to be trolling the others.

If I happen to face such a problem, I seek more fair gamers to play with, not a different mod.

MorrisB said:
Seriously Daedelus, I believe you continuously overreact the issue.
If I happen to face such a problem, I seek more fair gamers to play with, not a different mod.
MorrisB,

I've worked in the Middle East.  In one 96 hour period in the summer of 2006 I was deep in the heartlands of Sunni, Shia, Yezidi, Marionite, and Jewish peoples and never more than 200 miles from a religiously driven war. (There were three religion based wars and a racial insurgency going on just then, but it was a busy season.) 

Call me gun shy, but after seeing some of the seriously acrimonious disputes on the 12xx boards over racial identity ("Seven hundred years ago my people were a lot more tough than yours were!" Sound familiar?), I don't want to see the same hostility and intolerance here.

This mod is getting a lot of interest abroad, and the downside of being outside your back yard is that you have to have to pay close attention to danger zones you're not familiar with.  So if I react to potential religious intolerance like it is a minefield, a lot of that is the number of literal minefields I've been near because of religious intolerance.

I have relatives in Israel who I visit occasionally so I know a thing or two about fanatics as well. Heck, once I beheld the explosion of a bakery in live action. However, I am fairly sure that the terrorist who blew up the bakery, along with himself, had other reasons for his deed than getting his ass handed to him in an online multiplayer match.

No matter how you look at it, it's an entirely fictional medieval-themed video game we're talking about. If we made a game where you shoot arabs/israelis, your worry would be actually relevant. But as things are now, the biggest threat we're ever going to face is the potential of some multiplayer trolls, a few of which are always around to begin with. People who don't tolerate others for ethnic/religious purposes are, in most cases, raised to be intolerant in the first place; a game does not influence this in any significant way for either better or worse. At best, it merely provides opportunities to manage/roleplay things in accordance to one's fantasies and/or views, in the context of the game, and that, all things considered, is a fairly innocent activity.

I respect your view and understand the points you make, but chill out.

On a secondary note, we are quite derailing this topic (not that it's a constructive and useful topic in the first place, but still). I say we should settle this debate at this point. Leave worrying over in-game religion representation to me, and feel free to criticise after we actually implement quests and NPCs in connection with SOD religions (which is still a long way to go).

MorrisB said:
I have relatives in Israel who I visit occasionally so I know a thing or two about fanatics as well. Heck, once I beheld the explosion of a bakery in live action. However, I am fairly sure that the terrorist who blew up the bakery, along with himself, had other reasons for his deed than getting his ass handed to him in an online multiplayer match.
No matter how you look at it, it's an entirely fictional medieval-themed video game we're talking about. If we made a game where you shoot arabs/israelis, your worry would be actually relevant. But as things are now, the biggest threat we're ever going to face is the potential of some multiplayer trolls, a few of which are always around to begin with. People who don't tolerate others for ethnic/religious purposes are, in most cases, raised to be intolerant in the first place; a game does not influence this in any significant way for either better or worse. At best, it merely provides opportunities to manage/roleplay things in accordance to one's fantasies and/or views, in the context of the game, and that, all things considered, is a fairly innocent activity.
I respect your view and understand the points you make, but chill out.
On a secondary note, we are quite derailing this topic (not that it's a constructive and useful topic in the first place, but still). I say we should settle this debate at this point. Leave worrying over in-game religion representation to me, and feel free to criticise after we actually implement quests and NPCs in connection with SOD religions (which is still a long way to go).
No s...tuff, there I was outside Suliaymaniyah (spelling optional, invent your own, it genuinely doesn't matter, the locals call is Suli to avoid confusion), Iraq and I was getting schooled on why the Safavids were just a disaster for the peopleS(! ethnic Persians are almost a minority in Persia). A quick check of wikipedia will indicate that there hasn't been a Safavid in power in over 260 years, but man they keep that stuff fresh in their agonies in the Middle East.  Then they started going off on the inaccuracies in the historical soldier's yarn, 300 that just came out on film. I deeply respect the Kurdish revolutionary who was working to save decent people in the Islamic Republic Iran and overthrow that atrociously corrupt regime. I really don't want to get schooled by him again, so I'm trying to keep religion out of this mod. Like a bad penny, sooner or later I'm going to turn up in Kurdistan again someday and I hate getting out-intellectualed by people I respect on stuff that doesn't matter.

Yes, this is a less critical thread.  I'm just saying that religion as a topic is a slippery slope when it touches Earth. I suggest looking at David Brin's Uplift series as a source for some fairly weird stuff that isn't used very often for religious material. Nobody is going to notice if you lift Tymbrimi theology, and better yet, they aren't going to understand it!

Luckily, my travels never took me to Israel during the second Intafada.  I was just there for Hezbollah and 2006 Gaza wars, and most of that time I spent in the Tel Aviv Hilton and Ben Gurion airport getting grilled by immigration and inspected by baggage checkers down to my shorts.  That was after two weeks in Iraq in July. I deliberately avoided explosions during my time there, two weeks later my business partner chose not to, but he got a book out of it. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Fatima-Gate-Hezbollah-ebook/dp/B004S7BBT0/

Undead invasion would fit well  :twisted: the land is in constant wars and the amount of bodies they could use would be insane :smile:

Back
Top Bottom