[NEW] Guide for Hrunting Quest (Beowulf's Sword) [SPOILERS!!!]

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello folks! As there have been a few name changes and additions to Brytenwalda since the last thread's answers were made, I thought I'd devise a new guide, with a little more detail than I was able to find while searching before.

Warning, major spoilers below if you would like to follow it on your own!
For your own comfort, each step has been posted in it's own spoilers tab.

Happy questing!
NOTE: This quest is totally resettable. If you mess up, don't worry, as you can start over by simply talking to Great Bard Aneirin again.
NOTE#2: All NPCs related to this quest are named in green in-game.
NOTE#3: This quest IS BLANK in your in-game notes on purpose  :wink:

STEP 1: THE START
Your quest begins in the city of Din Eidyn, in the Lord's Hall. There, you will find a fellow who is called Great Bard Aneirin. He will give you a bit of backstory about his great Beowulf Sword he has, and will ask that you retrieve an epic Horn and Lute. He says that you'll find out where one is with an old hermit in Din Arth, and the other with a fellow named Abbot Constantine (whom he does not know the location of). Do not worry about Abbot right now, as you'll learn his location as the quest goes on. Next stop: Din Arth.

STEP 2: THE HERMIT
Now that Aneirin has sent you on your quest, you must seek out a hermit to find out the location of the Horn. He is at Din Arth, a castle in Gwynedd territory, and will be the first guy you see when you walk into the Lord's Hall. Talk to him, do not lie, and be nice and respectable to him and he will tell you what you want to hear. He will eventually tell you that the guy who has it is somewhere in Dumnonia. This is a Kingdom (not a location) found on the Southwestern side of Britannia. He does not know specifically where, however, and you are left to find that yourself. Luckily you are able to find out by going to Step 3!

STEP 3: DUMNONIA TERRITORY
The Hermit will send you to a guy located "somewhere in Dumnonia". This somewhere is Din Tagell, a castle in the Southwest of Britannia. In Din Tagell's Great Hall, you'll find a fellow named Guledic Geraint map Erbin. Speak to him, and once again, be respectful and do not lie, and he'll give you an answer. He says that he does not have the Horn! But instead that Abbot Constantine should know the location of it! Thus, Geraint gives you the location of Abbot Constantine. He's at Ard Breacain, a castle in Ui Neill territory, in Hibernia (Ireland).

STEP 4: ABBOT CONSTANTINE
The fella at Din Tagell has sent you to Abbot Constantine, at a castle called Ard Breacain. This is located in Hibernia (Ireland), Northwest of Temair (Ui Neill territory). Constantine is wacko and suicidal, and wants you to kill him. DO NOT kill him, give him money and get him back on his feet. As always, choose the respectable and honest answers. He'll tell you that both the Horn and the Lute are in the hands of a lad in Caer Maunguid (Crafu Territory).

STEP 5: SHOWDOWN
Head to the Lord's Hall in Caer Maunguid. This is Crafu territory in the middle of Britannia. There you'll find a snob of a lad who won't give either instruments up (he doesn't have them anyway). DO NOT pay him money, and DO NOT say "kbye". DUEL THIS IMBECILE!! He will say "LOLK! C U OUTSIDE!!". You will begin the 'duel', but by outside, he means outside the city. Hit tab and Leave the town, and you'll find his party on nearby, waiting for you. If you have a large party, his party will have about 40-50 guys. His troops are also fairly good, so expect some casualty, and try to stay alive so you can command your troops.

After you win the battle, you may find yourself confused. Not having the instruments and all...
Fear not. Just head on over to Din Gonwy and talk to a Great Bard there (NOT quest start point). You are magically whispered to do so to collect the instruments, but it is easily missed, and reportedly not apparent for some people at all.
So after you win the battle outside of Caer Maunguid, head to Din Gonwy (Gwynedd territory).

FINALE: GONWY BARD AND HIS RIDDLE
Horray! Now that you have finished your battle, you must go to the Great Bard at Din Gonwy (Gwynedd territory) to collect the Horn and the Lute. For reals.

However, after talking to the Great Bard for a while, he will be reluctant to give them up. Instead of fighting you, he devises a riddle for you to solve. It is very confusing and the other answers will make you feel like you have missed out on some Brytenwalda history and couldn't possibly know.
Nevertheless, the answer is "Lot and his family".

Congratulations! Now all you need to do is head back to Great Bard Aneirin at Din Eidyn and you're done!

Hope you enjoyed the guide, please post if you feel I missed anything, or for questions or comments or suggestions on making it a better guide.
All credits go to the Brytenwalda team for making the quest.  :smile:

Now here's the stats for the Hrunting sword:
HRUNTING FULL STATS (as seen ingame)
Hrunting
One-handed
Sell price: 289
Weight: 1.3
Swing: 40c
Thrust: 25p
Speed Rating: 85
Weapon Reach: 97
Requires Strength: 12
This is the sword which Unferth gives to Beowulf before the fight with Grendel's mother.

Damn, it is really hard when you are practically at war with everyone... Oh well, a few castles to siege and take!

I did the quest, ran back and forth across the map, and the sword says it's only 29 swing, 13 thrust!?! It's named as the sword in the quest, followed all the steps and it's just a plain old sword??

It´s the second best sword. The best sword you can get from the old roman at hadrian´s wall, when you conquer Lundenwic.

EasyEight said:
I did the quest, ran back and forth across the map, and the sword says it's only 29 swing, 13 thrust!?! It's named as the sword in the quest, followed all the steps and it's just a plain old sword??

Is it?? It sounds more like a bug....Can someone else confirm stats as well? I will change if it's different than what I have. Guess I have to update my Brytenwalda version again :razz:

I have this problem: I find Derfel, he tells me of the guy in Dumnonia and I go to Tin Tagel. There I find this dude and the only options in the dialogue are: 1)I am leaving now and 2) I know your face(credits). Could anyone help me, please?

Tried to speak with Derfel again? If this doesnt help, then speak to Great Bard Aneirin again, this should reset the whole quest.

Yes, thank you, it seems that I have chosen every available dialogue option with Derfel(which I shouldn't do). I reset the quest and progressed it. Thank you!

Very nice sword but i think the texture isn't original enought. Theoden's sword's name is Herugrim, and it's shape doesn't looks like a real dark age sword. By comparison Eowin's sword, the king witch's bane, seems to be more more similar. Well, I wish there was an alternative texture to Hrunting, maybe the former version's one.
Thanks if someone care of my demand.

Ok,

I got to step 5 then got beaten.  Luckily I managed to get away, but now I've built up my army again I can't find the dryhten anywhere.  I did the whole quest again but he's not in Caer Maunwhatever.  Is the whole quest broken now?

Please help?

Right, I managed to find the Dryhten guy and kill him, but only after starting the quest several times again (he was always wandering around from my first attempt and I just ran into him).  I went to Din Gonwy and talked to the bard but there was no option to ask anything, as if I hadn't even started the quest. 

I assume it's broken?  What can I do (modify files or whatever) to get him to talk?  I can't do the whole quest again now as the Dryhten guy doesn't exist any more...

I know this is not helping you now but in future it may, always save before fighting any quest related battle. They all can be broken if the lord escapes or whatnot. If after the battle the lord manages to escape, load. Or in case of Iniau you get him captured, load (I don't want to kill a prisoner).

Hellu! Got back into this mod, I realize though this guide may be quite outdated.

If there are any modifications to be made of this guide, please shoot me a message and I will make changes!

Back
Top Bottom