B Native Musket Era [WB] Renaissance Mod - Beta Released

Users who are viewing this thread

There was a post a while back where someone quoted another saying that it was okay to use WFaS models for non-commercial use....I can't be bothered to dig right now, maybe later. On a side note, is there any particular reason why you start with 7 extra attribute points in this mod?

Edit: nevermind, I found it!

Bayard-X said:
monnikje said:
ShinyKnight said:
Sayd Ûthman said:
By the way, i don't think it's allowed to use wfas stuff at least it wasn't last time i checked, sadly

kuriherbaarius said:
Dain Ironfoot said:
Am I to gather they're from with Fire and Sword? And did you ask the developers if you could have their models?
  Of course, otherwise I wouldn't  implement their models. They gave permission for non-commercial use.

It won't be allowed only if Bayard decides to sell the mod

When I read this, I thought 'Holy Mod!', for when With Fire and Sword had been released earlier this year, I tried for about a month to get permission. I bugged devs from both TaleWorlds and Sich, and in the end got replies from all of of them, including Armagan himself, stating that it wasn't allowed to use With Fire and Sword assets in Warband mods, nor to use Warband assets in With Fire and Sword mods. I posted this over here and here. But then I looked at the dates of this post. The permission given here was for the old, non-English WFaS that was released a few years ago, not for the one released this year. If you do however got permission to use stuff from the recent one, I'd be very interested to learn how you obtained this :smile:.

Anyway, this surely looks like an interesting project, so I'll have a look once in a while how it's going. Good luck with it!

You'd have to check back with Kuriherbaarius from whom I inherited the mod. The legacy contained a couple of item brfs among which the stuff in question. I guess its olde stuff. All the materials applied to the items do not even have specular maps or normal maps.

gesia said:
So, is there some kind of approximate release date? I mean, what are you aiming for, next week or next year? :wink:

I hope for releasing the beta sometime in the Pre-Christmas period. However, my progress is rather lame...

hmm. So apparently it's up in the air?

Foopaux said:
I know it's illegal to port WB code to WFaS, but is it illegal the other way 'round?
Yes, it is illegal to bring any commercial content from one game to another game.
HappyCompy said:
There was a post a while back where someone quoted another saying that it was okay to use WFaS models for non-commercial use....

...snip...

It is not up in the air. Taleworlds has made it quite clear that content cannot be brought from one game to the other; see numerous discussions in the actual WFaS boards...I can track a link or two down if utterly necessary. (Community made models, code, etc are of course fair game and can be used in any rendition of M&B so long as the modder has given such permission.)

Caba`drin said:
Foopaux said:
I know it's illegal to port WB code to WFaS, but is it illegal the other way 'round?
Yes, it is illegal to bring any commercial content from one game to another game.
HappyCompy said:
There was a post a while back where someone quoted another saying that it was okay to use WFaS models for non-commercial use....

...snip...

It is not up in the air. Taleworlds has made it quite clear that content cannot be brought from one game to the other; see numerous discussions in the actual WFaS boards...I can track a link or two down if utterly necessary. (Community made models, code, etc are of course fair game and can be used in any rendition of M&B so long as the modder has given such permission.)

Perhaps I am wrong then to say that they are WFaS models. Maybe they are just look a likes.

The stuff in WFaS has normals and specs. Isn't it?

Anyway, we had this discussion plenty of times.

And, I'll be available again starting.January 10 2012.

Happy new Year!

HappyCompy said:
Has anyone been able to crack the reason behind the long pauses when loading the world map?

Well, I was thinking of: Long faction names
                                    Long lord names (sometimes)
                                    Too many polygons on models?
                                    Forgotten crap codes?

I have this problem only at the first loading of the map, how about you?

For me it happens if I am in any other screen but the overworld map for too long. For instance if I'm checking my character stats, when I go back to the world map there's a good 5 second delay before the map appears/unfreezes. The same thing happens with inventory, party, notes, camp, etc. It can be really annoying when you need to switch between many different screens and it lags for each one.

HappyCompy said:
For me it happens if I am in any other screen but the overworld map for too long. For instance if I'm checking my character stats, when I go back to the world map there's a good 5 second delay before the map appears/unfreezes. The same thing happens with inventory, party, notes, camp, etc. It can be really annoying when you need to switch between many different screens and it lags for each one.

Did this happen on other mods too? If you have any other of course?  :grin:

Nope, interestingly enough this is the ONLY mod that has this issue. It's even weirder because the map runs smooth as silk once it's done loading....but those pauses man...those pauses really grate on you after a while.

Funny. Guess we have to wait for Bayard to fix the issue- I never did more coding than a few extra lines that did not work.

@ HappyCompy and others concerned about the world map lags:
I also do have them. I did not find the cause of this. I am still somewhat sure that it's not the long strings of names causing it, because then mods with considerably more factions, lords, places etc. would have to have the lag, too. They don't. Also I do not think that the code contains rubbish lines... there are to few changes at the moment. And in general model polys do not lag the worldmap.

There's only one item that could cause this:
When I shifted to the new banner types, I made all the banner textures be 1300X1300, like the royal banners' texture. So, if its not the polycount of the banner models, it has to be the texture size.

Edit: Normally the "simple" lords' banners are on 1024X1024. Maybe going 2048X2048 would also help without loss of quality. Maybe the lag is because 1300X1300 is quite odd for textures...

Maybe someone is friendly to try this hypothesis out? :smile:

@ all
I'll address you all concerning the WFaS points soon. A least until next Tuesday.

Bayard-X said:
There's only one item that could cause this:
When I shifted to the new banner types, I made all the banner textures be 1300X1300, like the royal banners' texture. So, if its not the polycount of the banner models, it has to be the texture size.

Edit: Normally the "simple" lords' banners are on 1024X1024. Maybe going 2048X2048 would also help without loss of quality. Maybe the lag is because 1300X1300 is quite odd for textures...

Maybe someone is friendly to try this hypothesis out? :smile:
This sounds like a very likely culprit. If you didn't adjust the poly-count of map icons, the map itself, etc, then they aren't causing a problem (and it is extremely unlikely that campaign scripts/triggers would all happen to fire when the map is gone back to--unless you have tons of interval 0 triggers, but then you'd see consistent map lag). The lack of mipmaps in non-power-of-two map textures could definitely be causing the lag as the graphics card tries to deal with the strange texture size and then scaling it down without mipmap guidance.

Notice on the use of old WFaS resources in the Renaissance Mod

As you all certainly know, this mod in its current release uses a couple of BRFs which contain items from the old version of “With Fire and Sword” (WFaS). We discussed this topic over and over again. However, things are different this time.

For a long time I believed that it was OK to use these resources. I was fully convinced so. When the mod was started, we obtained some permission from the WFaS team and handed the respective BRFs down from one creative director to the next and finally to me. The existence of this permission has been researched and verified a couple of times, also in this thread as you may happen to know. Therefore we, and especially I, neglected the diligence to check back again with the team of WFaS and TaleWorlds. However, the last time we discussed this topic in this thread, I decided to start a correspondence with Caba´drin.

I learnt that all the former permissions became void with the commercial international release of WFaS as a standalone game. Hence, the use of these resources is no longer ok. We have to remove these resources before releasing the next full scale version (minor fixes excepted). We will not be punished and the current download will stay up for the time being because it was an honest mistake. But still I feel depressed about this failure of mine – and exclusively mine, not of the team’s – and wish to apologise to TaleWorlds for this inconvenience. I hope TaleWorlds accepts my apology.

For the mod the consequences of removing the resources may seem dire on the first sight, but on the second sight, there may be a big potential in improving the mod by replacing these resources through more 1520s like items, clothing, weapons etc. We are acceptive for contributions.

Bayard

Bayard-X said:

Notice on the use of old WFaS resources in the Renaissance Mod

As you all certainly know, this mod in its current release uses a couple of BRFs which contain items from the old version of “With Fire and Sword” (WFaS). We discussed this topic over and over again. However, things are different this time.

For a long time I believed that it was OK to use these resources. I was fully convinced so. When the mod was started, we obtained some permission from the WFaS team and handed the respective BRFs down from one creative director to the next and finally to me. The existence of this permission has been researched and verified a couple of times, also in this thread as you may happen to know. Therefore we, and especially I, neglected the diligence to check back again with the team of WFaS and TaleWorlds. However, the last time we discussed this topic in this thread, I decided to start a correspondence with Caba´drin.

I learnt that all the former permissions became void with the commercial international release of WFaS as a standalone game. Hence, the use of these resources is no longer ok. We have to remove these resources before releasing the next full scale version (minor fixes excepted). We will not be punished and the current download will stay up for the time being because it was an honest mistake. But still I feel depressed about this failure of mine – and exclusively mine, not of the team’s – and wish to apologise to TaleWorlds for this inconvenience. I hope TaleWorlds accepts my apology.

For the mod the consequences of removing the resources may seem dire on the first sight, but on the second sight, there may be a big potential in improving the mod by replacing these resources through more 1520s like items, clothing, weapons etc. We are acceptive for contributions.

Bayard

I suggest you should update the credits then, no?  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom