OSP Code SP 1 vs 1 Tournament

Users who are viewing this thread

dunde said:
pino69 said:
Aside modifications in tournament_*.py files, could you please indicate which *.py files you modified ?

module_scripts.py and module_mission_templates.py. You can use notepad++, search for the keyword : dunde through all module_*.py to make it sure. And don't forget to add the import from tournament_*.py at related module_*.py.

I did that, and got this error message while compiling:

aekf5mgwn3.jpg

As you see the error lies within the loaded "tounament_scrpt", so the modifications i did to the python files of my mod should be allright. (Atleast I hope so.)

I saw you included variables.txt inside your download. Is there something I need to edit in order to make it work?

PS: With "replacing af_override_everything" you mean deleting it do you? Is it also possible to do that with the player?

Thank's in advance!

Well, you have the code to be grateful for, sure you can do that much. Easy beasy task.

The problem is that more nooby modders (like myself about 4 months ago when I last tried this) are probably going to be scared away by the flood of errors the compiler's showing them. I wouldn't have recognized half the errors without a year or so of familiarity with the module system's weird behaviour.

Which is good. We don't want everyone being able to integrate this into their projects, aye?

Lesser, better = makes it precious.

Also, such things are worth. If a modder is just too lazy to research and solve this kind of problem, there is no way he will improve. I personally agree, it is best such a clean code like dunde's should be kept the way it is now. So, when you see this in a mod one day, it will give you an idea of effort put into the project; just generally speaking.

The needless tedium of comparing both codes and endlessly compiling and recompiling doesn't teach anybody anything, nor would anybody recognize said tedium as the hallmark of a good mod (we don't measure a project's quality on number of manhours spent creating it).

The point of an OSP isn't to act as a shibboleth/hazing ground to alienate new modders, it's to share and (hopefully) make more mods better. Can you imagine if the Diplomacy team had all their code separated out, making it impossilbe to implement? All those great features would be wasted.

If that is how OSP is looked on, that is a big shame. For me, it always proved to be a learning ground. You are wrong in "doesn't teach anybody anything" part, totally. That is exactly what teaches anyone anything. You spend several hours trying to figure out the problems and learn several things along the way.

Measurement of a project's quality is parallel to hour spent on it, aka the effort put into it. The details, care and the will on how the message is delivered.

I wish, Diplomacy mod had never gone OSP eliminating all the need of a better one, where diplomacy lacks and giving the modders the confidence better cannot be done. If you are content with it, well...pretty much a bad attitude for someone in your place.

Answer me in something. What do you mod for? Spend all that time for Sayazn, which is coming up pretty nicely but also unbalanced, uncompleted and sketchy in several aspects. I used to mod for innovation and because I loved it, not for the community. (Not that I don't care about them.) To me, giving diplomacy a credit for the inspiration of my own "Diplomacy" mod sounds a lot more satisfactory than boldly giving it away. Not knowing what a single line in the system does.

You tell me. What is the benefit of using OSPs if not to get inspired and learn? Illusion of depth and hardship probably.

The many hours i over the past year I spent trying to get poorly explained codes to work did nothing but frustrate me. I didn't suddenly understand what slots were by banging my head against the table because the thread author didn't explain where to put a constant. I learned the way everyone else did, by reading the existing native module and previous threads. The existence of large overhauls like diplomacy (many of the tweaks I'd have gotten round to doing anyway) and motomataru's formation mod haven't made me go "oh well, that's all that can be achieved in that area". I've made countless changes to both.

Wishing diplomacy had never been shared is quite selfish. Most of the tweaks made are minor things for convenience; several thousand hours of going through the code and eliminating bugs and annoying "features" found in native. I don't know about you, but i think it's arrogant to subject other modders to such an amount of tedious code combing. If a new modder then wants to make a generic clone mod with diplomacy, freelancer and pbod, he's welcome to do so. Nobody's going to play it and nobody loses out.

Heck, if somebody took my mod and re-released it as his own with a single tweak, i can't see what the problem would be. I'm modding because i want to make a damn mod, not to get bogged down in abstract interpretations of "community" or to engage in an endless game of one-upmanship with other modders. OSPs are just things a modder feels like sharing, any other interpretation is needless abstraction.

Mod for innovation if you want, but actively wishing tedious frustration on other poeple is silly. For most people this is a hobby that takes up enough time as it is.

Oh, you self-explained. You are a hobbyist, then you are most welcome to keep modding salvaging on others. I will have nothing to say. For a second, I thought you wanted to be in professional industry. And, from the looks of if; you won't constructively judge what I am trying to say.

As long as people keep implementing OSPs in this board, forge is doomed to repeat itself as can be observed for last two years. What they (and you, appearently) will achieve is the illusion of hardship and a blind fanbase.

Arrogan. Selfish. Nope, I am not. These are the standards.

jacobhinds said:
The many hours i over the past year I spent trying to get poorly explained codes to work did nothing but frustrate me. I didn't suddenly understand what slots were by banging my head against the table because the thread author didn't explain where to put a constant. I learned the way everyone else did, by reading the existing native module and previous threads. The existence of large overhauls like diplomacy (many of the tweaks I'd have gotten round to doing anyway) and motomataru's formation mod haven't made me go "oh well, that's all that can be achieved in that area". I've made countless changes to both.

Wishing diplomacy had never been shared is quite selfish. Most of the tweaks made are minor things for convenience; several thousand hours of going through the code and eliminating bugs and annoying "features" found in native. I don't know about you, but i think it's arrogant to subject other modders to such an amount of tedious code combing. If a new modder then wants to make a generic clone mod with diplomacy, freelancer and pbod, he's welcome to do so. Nobody's going to play it and nobody loses out.

Heck, if somebody took my mod and re-released it as his own with a single tweak, i can't see what the problem would be. I'm modding because i want to make a damn mod, not to get bogged down in abstract interpretations of "community" or to engage in an endless game of one-upmanship with other modders. OSPs are just things a modder feels like sharing, any other interpretation is needless abstraction.

Mod for innovation if you want, but actively wishing tedious frustration on other poeple is silly. For most people this is a hobby that takes up enough time as it is.

I agree with Jacobhinds, and I think its funny that you are arguing that OSPs shouldn't exist on an OSP board Sorry I've now seen all of the posts you have made on OSPs  :???:
You don't get paid to mod. people should collaborate as much as possible to make modding easier so that we all can have time to make a living.

What, OSPs should exist of course. Don't agree with him just for its sake, read before writing.

@Well, actually I get paid to mod; least I used to. Brytenwalda also get paid, Donkey Crew are about to get paid for their modding qualifications as well (aka Melee Battlegrounds), Mount&Musket team got paid as well. Not to mention the other solo modders, which I will not give their name.

So, yea. You get paid. Else, you are a hobbyist.

Efe Karacar said:
What, OSPs should exist of course. Don't agree with him just for its sake, read before writing.

@Well, actually I get paid to mod; least I used to. Brytenwalda also get paid, Donkey Crew are about to get paid for their modding qualifications as well (aka Melee Battlegrounds), Mount&Musket team got paid as well. Not to mention the other solo modders, which I will not give their name.

So, yea. You get paid. Else, you are a hobbyist.

Interesting... who pays you? I know the Brytenwalda devs got paid for Viking Conquest, but who else pays for mods???

Edit: I would like to get in on this. I am sorry about the accusations

Back
Top Bottom