Salem- New Paradox Game

Users who are viewing this thread

Wolfang

Baron
So some of you might already have heard of it because it's been floating around the net for a while now.

Paradox is paying the producers of Haven & Hearth to make a new game called Salem.

You start as a colonist in the new world, its an open enormous world (you'll never have seen everything) freely manipulated by players (you can destroy/build/mine everywhere/anything), a very complex crafting system, with, most importantly perma-death.

Teaser
Explanation + Alpha footage

NEW YORK – September 23, 2011 – Paradox Interactive today announced details surrounding the first in a new series of live stream demos that will allow players to get a look behind the scenes into the progress being made on the company’s forthcoming titles. The first game to be featured will be Salem, the highly anticipated MMORPG being created by Seatribe that is due to release in Q2, 2012. A live demo of the game will be broadcast over the internet on Tuesday, September 27th, at 3PM EST via the Official Paradox Interactive Channel on Justin.tv and Twitch.tv at: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

"Our players have asked for more info, more access and a greater view into how our title line-up is coming along,” said Gordon Van Dyke, producer at Paradox Interactive. “We’ve found a way to bring our community deeper into the process through live streaming demos, show off our progress and give our fans and players the chance to ask about how things are developing.”

I'm with Arch on it. I want to play a game. Not some tedious bull**** that will undo hours of my life because I forgot to maintenance my tier 18 steel enchanted armor in my forge before leaving my level 16 castle.

I am intrigued. Although permanent death means I'll be hiding in a log cabin the entire game, hoping my character doesn't catch a cold or look at someone the wrong way.

Permadeath just divides people in two groups: those who play like it's a job and the normal people. The pros having expendables that are equal or better to the character of average players, or just too well defended to be killed without high risk of your own high level char.

I still think Ultima Online had a decent way to prevent griefers, just needed a bit of improvement

Well tbh, perma death only decreases the chances of someone dying since people are more careful with their characters. I remember playing in Haven and Hearth and not having died once during an entire world (6+ months).
In fact iirc the n°1 cause of death is drowning or getting gored by wild animals. Both of which are avoidable.

Perma death just makes combat all the more luxurious. It's not something you can go out without proper equipment and a plan. Getting ready to go raid someone is a campaign all its own.

Back
Top Bottom