The Peloponnesian War - Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

I never knew that they spawned with both, that's kinda cool. The problem is that both the Dory and the swords are considered one-handed, the Dory is -not- considered a polearm, so telling them to use one-handers does nothing.

Oh! I haven´t noticed that!

In the past, in my mod´s mod I´ve turned polearms into one handeds. I thought Lynores have not copied that and I still do.

So, that´s only an easy to fix thing.

Hey Lynores!
Please, let me balance the itens via txt editor!!!!!!!!!!
I can fix that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Some more...

11 - There should be ancient wonders of the world:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Wonders_of_the_Ancient_World
For the timeframe: Temple of Artemis at Ephesus and the Statue of Zeus at Olympia plus the Delphic oracle which was the most important.
12 - Then, only Olympia should have olympic games, replacing the tournments.
13 - The map demands you to travel a lot over water, and Lynores has done some wonderful triremes, so, there should be much more pirates instead of only Cretans, and their spawn points should be exactly over trade routes. The more famous ones were, along with Cretans, the Thiny pirates in Thracian waters, Illyrian pirates at the Adriatic, Lycian pirates in Turkish waters and the most famous ones: the Cilicians blocking the African trade routes.
http://www.cindyvallar.com/havens1.html
14 - Since sea traveling is too important I suggest the ship should have to be bought as it is in Imperium Romanum mod.

QuickDagger said:
Some more...

For the timeframe: Temple of Artemis at Ephesus and the Statue of Zeus at Olympia plus the Delphic oracle which was the most important.
13 - The map demands you to travel a lot over water, and Lynores has done some wonderful triremes, so, there should be much more pirates instead of only Cretans, and their spawn points should be exactly over trade routes. The more famous ones were, along with Cretans, the Thiny pirates in Thracian waters, Illyrian pirates at the Adriatic, Lycian pirates in Turkish waters and the most famous ones: the Cilicians blocking the African trade routes.
14 - Since sea traveling is too important I suggest the ship should have to be bought as it is in Imperium Romanum mod.

Buying a ship sounds pretty cool. If we do that, I wonder if we could make it so that certain bandits also don't have boats, like deserters and common looters and whatnot. They wouldn't be able to afford it. Also, is it possible to increase movement speed while on a boat? Since boat-travel is much faster than marching.

Edit: Copy-Pasting from another thread.

"I was just reading up on the Scythians. It seems like during the timeframe of the Peloponnesian war, the Scythians became pretty wealthy because of their trading in slaves. Is it possible to make the Scythians an (initially) neutral faction made up of Scythian units backed by mass amounts of slave units? Perhaps they could even sell slaves for a certain price. Would be interesting, IMO."

DoctorPringles said:
QuickDagger said:
Some more...

Buying a ship sounds pretty cool. If we do that, I wonder if we could make it so that certain bandits also don't have boats, like deserters and common looters and whatnot. They wouldn't be able to afford it. Also, is it possible to increase movement speed while on a boat? Since boat-travel is much faster than marching.

Edit: Copy-Pasting from another thread.

"I was just reading up on the Scythians. It seems like during the timeframe of the Peloponnesian war, the Scythians became pretty wealthy because of their trading in slaves. Is it possible to make the Scythians an (initially) neutral faction made up of Scythian units backed by mass amounts of slave units? Perhaps they could even sell slaves for a certain price. Would be interesting, IMO."

There will be a Scythian like Tree, im not gonna say who, or where but there will be one. They just wont be their own faction(Unless lynores makes it so, like he suggested in another thread.)

It has horse archers and lancers and everything else that while keep you khergit fans happy, and a pretty elaborate infantry Tree.

What about:

15 - Not only villages but all cities should allow hiring. Of course some allow hiring the specials but the others might allow hiring the common units.
16 - Escaped helots in Italy? Shouldn´t it be something else?

QuickDagger said:
16 - Escaped helots in Italy? Shouldn´t it be something else?

In the Latin League zone there are Cisalpine Gauls mostly, you should look at there (at the east of Rome)

17 - The low tier hoplites and soldiers. Many vases, paintingd etc show naked warriors fighting. I don´t want to see naked  people, but half exomis hoplites. It seems too simple to me to make the troop trees with 3 kinds of hoplites for everyone: 1-wearing half exomis, 2-wearing linothorax, 3-wearing cuirass. Wearing half exomis will not make them too easy to beat IF the stats are well balanced.
18 - Marines should wear half exomis and linothoraxes at maximum and they prefered swords to spears because they needed to keep their balance over the waves and they had to swim should they fall to the sea.

QuickDagger said:
17 - The low tier hoplites and soldiers. Many vases, paintingd etc show naked warriors fighting. I don´t want to see naked  people, but half exomis hoplites. It seems too simple to me to make the troop trees with 3 kinds of hoplites for everyone: 1-wearing half exomis, 2-wearing linothorax, 3-wearing cuirass. Wearing half exomis will not make them too easy to beat IF the stats are well balanced.
18 - Marines should wear half exomis and linothoraxes at maximum and they prefered swords to spears because they needed to keep their balance over the waves and they had to swim should they fall to the sea.

Ask yourself. Would you fight naked? No? Then the hoplites probably didnt either. In history there have been warriors that fought naked, Either drugged or drunk(Germanics and picts), or poor. The reason Greeks heros where depicted naked because "Nudity was a costume used by artists to depict various roles of men, ranging from heroicism and status to defeat."

Did you research at all? Remember this is historical mod, not mythological. Im pretty sure that Lynores did not model his soldiers because he thought they where "cool"

Hey dudes, stop with the gesses ok.

Many vases and paintings show that. Do yourselves a favor and buy some Osprey books.

Conventional hoplite war was with armor and akontistai had no armor. I´m not telling you it should be different.

Marines fought at sea with no armor or linothorax at maximum, and with swords, but since Greek ships could not stay at sea for more than one or two days becuase they used to get floded, marines had to dress theirselves with their armor and had secure it or they had to pillage for food at night and, in this case, of course they were armored at their maximum.

However, armor was not provided by the state, unless for the elites and the Spartans so they had to fight with their families possessions and a set of armor was very expensive.

So, besides the use or armor among the hoplites was common, not wearing it was not uncommon either.

So, my suggestion was to only simulate those few unarmored ones somehow.

I don´t know why you are complaining that much kids. Lynores has already done that with the Spartans. Why don´t you take a look at their troop tree?

Spartan Youth (unarmored) -> Spartan Spearman (unarmored) -> Spartan Hoplite (linothorax) -> Spartan Heavy Hoplite (linothorax - I think it should be cuirass) -> Spartan Officer (cuirass)

BTW, the Spartan champions you like so much were only 2 guys (not a whole army) who were the king´s (not any officer) bodyguards in addition to the 300 somatophilakes. They were chosen among olympic champions indeed.

In fact I remember the mention of a single delian general being surprised with an invasion and rushing out of his shelter naked. Regarding "bodyguards" with the dokana shield, they resemble olympic champions and not the kings actual bodyguards. The dokana shields are there because otherwise you'd just not see them.

QuickDagger said:
Hey dudes, stop with the gesses ok.

Many vases and paintings show that. Do yourselves a favor and buy some Osprey books.

Conventional hoplite war was with armor and akontistai had no armor. I´m not telling you it should be different.

Marines fought at sea with no armor or linothorax at maximum, and with swords, but since Greek ships could not stay at sea for more than one or two days becuase they used to get floded, marines had to dress theirselves with their armor and had secure it or they had to pillage for food at night and, in this case, of course they were armored at their maximum.

However, armor was not provided by the state, unless for the elites and the Spartans so they had to fight with their families possessions and a set of armor was very expensive.

So, besides the use or armor among the hoplites was common, not wearing it was not uncommon either.

So, my suggestion was to only simulate those few unarmored ones somehow.

I don´t know why you are complaining that much kids. Lynores has already done that with the Spartans. Why don´t you take a look at their troop tree?

Spartan Youth (unarmored) -> Spartan Spearman (unarmored) -> Spartan Hoplite (linothorax) -> Spartan Heavy Hoplite (linothorax - I think it should be cuirass) -> Spartan Officer (cuirass)

BTW, the Spartan champions you like so much were only 2 guys (not a whole army) who were the king´s (not any officer) bodyguards in addition to the 300 somatophilakes. They were chosen among olympic champions indeed.

Osprey books have been regarded as being not really that accurate. Maybe if you did some research you would find out that modern historians regarded any nudity depicted as, ones again, and not my words "Nudity was a costume used by artists to depict various roles of men, ranging from heroicism and status to defeat." Im not talking about tunics and that, im talking about flat out naked. Greek males, it is generally agreed, did not walk around town naked, they did not ride their horses naked, and they certainly did not go into battle naked," Hurwit said. "In most public contexts, clothing was not optional, and in combat nakedness was suicidal." This is from wiki, The word "hoplite" (Greek: ὁπλίτης hoplitēs; pl. ὁπλίται hoplitai) derives from "hoplon" (ὅπλον, plural hopla ὅπλα), the type of the shield used by the soldiers,[1] although, as a word, "hopla" could also denote weapons held or even full armament. In later texts, the term hoplite is used to denote any armored infantry, regardless of armament or ethnicity. If you refuse to take wiki as a serious reference, ill dig up more. 

And, Again, Would you fight naked? As of my thoughts, We really dont know for sure if the did it or not. My opinion? No they didnt fight naked, Because why the hell would you forsake armour if it could save your life? The greeks are considered forfront of ancient thought, Art and philosophy, You would think that they would disdain superstition. 

For the record, i think Spartans are overrated. Athens, and Corinth are where its at in greece, And im more interested in the celtic and germanic societies anyways. after all, Where the persians failed, the Celts succeeded, Brennus and his host annihilated the greeks at Thermopylae.  :cool: 

For the record, i think Spartans are overrated. Athens, and Corinth are where its at in greece, And im more interested in the celtic and germanic societies anyways. after all, Where the persians failed, the Celts succeeded, Brennus and his host annihilated the greeks at Thermopylae

Greek hoplites will always have my interest, but I agree that Spartans are overrated.
Sure they were great warriors, but you must take in mind that the way of fighting back then was based on discipline and physical capability, not singular fighting skills.

Back
Top Bottom