The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vicccard said:
...would you (or anyone here) know anything about the campaign dress of Hussards? I saw some in stable dress, and I saw some in the chasseur Kinski, and I've seen some in dolmans. I've been trying to find information or sources, but most paintings just love showing hussars in their parade uniform, on a battlefield.
Campaign dress depends on the campaign; if it was hot it was usually the kinski (which ceased being issued in 1808 but was probably worn until at least 1812), cold the pelisse, wet the great coat/manteau. Overalls were inevitably worn by all, as the issued breeches were totally unsuited to riding. It's unlikely Hussars would be permitted to wear the stable/drill uniform for anything other than those duties, though.

I recommend you check out this thread, specifically that page, for a great collect of Pierre Benigni plates that show Hussars in just about every dress imaginable. Benigni was a pupil of the legendary (amongst Napoleonic buffs, at least) Edouard Detaille, so you know he's good.

This one, for example, is a great image of a 2nd Hussar in campaign dress.
IMG_0031.jpg

Bluehawk said:
Catherine the Great had a dress tailored for every regiment of the Imperial Guard. Here is her Preobrazhensky dress. And yet in her equestrian portraits she's dressed in the regular male attire.

A great template though for a female character might be Nadezhda Durova, aka. Alexander Sokolov, aka. Alexander Alexandrov. The openly secret woman-hussar (and later uhlan) who won the Tsar's personal attention, achieved a final rank of staff-captain, was awarded the Cross of St. George, and went on to publish a memoir and several novels; dying at 82 and being buried with full military honours. There are other examples too... but they all involve subterfuge.

I was actually just going to pretend it's some alternate universe, but that's really interesting, didn't know about her.

I can put up with having a male body in Napoleonic Wars, I can put up with having one in a singleplayer mod, at least. Really looking forward to see how infantry behave, though I can't say I'll be looking forward to having to break through squares if they form them in front of me.

Just charge the corners and pray, I suppose.

The famous death's head hussars of Friedrich the Great had become the Leib-Hussaren Regimenten Nr. 1 und 2 by 1908, and still wore the iconic emblem on their shakos. And the "Black Brunwickers" were also formed in 1809 for the War of the Fifth Coalition with death's heads on their shakos too, supposedly to mourn the death of Duke Friederich-Wilhelm. So there are potentially three regiments to choose from if one were to toss them into the mod.

Docm30 said:
Vicccard said:
...would you (or anyone here) know anything about the campaign dress of Hussards? I saw some in stable dress, and I saw some in the chasseur Kinski, and I've seen some in dolmans. I've been trying to find information or sources, but most paintings just love showing hussars in their parade uniform, on a battlefield.
Campaign dress depends on the campaign; if it was hot it was usually the kinski (which ceased being issued in 1808 but was probably worn until at least 1812), cold the pelisse, wet the great coat/manteau. Overalls were inevitably worn by all, as the issued breeches were totally unsuited to riding. It's unlikely Hussars would be permitted to wear the stable/drill uniform for anything other than those duties, though.

I recommend you check out this thread, specifically that page, for a great collect of Pierre Benigni plates that show Hussars in just about every dress imaginable. Benigni was a pupil of the legendary (amongst Napoleonic buffs, at least) Edouard Detaille, so you know he's good.

This one, for example, is a great image of a 2nd Hussar in campaign dress.
IMG_0031.jpg

yes! Thank you! This is really important for me, so ... THANKS  :grin:

Are you using any particular resource for uniforms? Particularly french.

Im looking into the French Army at the Peninsula, at Bailén/Baylen (180:cool:. But its really hard to get infantry uniforms, since most regiments were provisional and formed on the march with a weird mixture. Its easy to get 1812 uniforms since by that time the army changed quite a bit, and its easy to get the French army at the main campaigns of Europe. But the Peninsula seems a bit chaotic.

I got the full composition of the army (from "Bailén 1808", by Francisco Vela) but only cites some Dragoons uniforms.

Docm...thank you so much for the link !! From him I found some pictures of 4e Cuirassier, I look for them for so long but didn't find any :sad:
Thank you !!

I just spent a half hour looking for that xD Yes, thank you!

Ah, all those old pages, the old updates. And the crap about montenegro which happend so frequently..  :lol:

Kinda random question here but what will the muskets sound like? Would you be using a personally owned musket to get a accurate sound?

Thanks
\/

Docm30 said:
Comrade Temuzu said:
...What kind of sounds are you using for the muskets?...
Sounds. Of Muskets. Can't really elaborate much beyond that, except in saying that they aren't bad, but not the best as I don't have the help of a professional sounds designer.

zois, search the thread.

Cperer, every faction should have at least a couple of battle flags. The faction leaders have their faces done, but not all have proper uniforms.

Finally got around to redoing that awful, awful musket I've been using since I started the mod. Here's the new one:

anixingame.jpg

newanixmusket.jpg

Not only does it look infinitely better than the old one, it only has a fifth of the polygons.

Docm, this graphics, these uniforms, these weapons are so awesome and detailed, I wouldn't be surprised if you were making your own campaign instead of using the merchant mission  :lol:. I haven't seen these yet, so can I suggest a few units? I can give you some pics of them if need be

Musket_Mayhem said:
...can I suggest a few units?...
Where I come from, we don't ask for permission to make suggestions.

Leberecht Reinhold said:
Are you using any particular resource for uniforms? Particularly french.
Dozens of books and trusted websites and a folder containing about 3,000 images is my resource for the French.

Uniforms worn in the Peninsula were generally the same as elsewhere in Europe. The main differences being that most articles bought in Spain were of local brown or tan cloth, articles including trousers, stockings, greatcoats ect. French soldiers in the Peninsula also wore their white fatigue uniforms a lot more than they were allowed to in other theatres. In general, though, it was the same as every where else, in the sense that after a couple months of campaigning any semblance of uniformity disappeared. For that reason one can't really say exactly what soldiers wore at one battle or campaign beyond the regulation uniforms and typical campaign uniforms, for which there are about a million resources on the internet.

ChrisTheThird said:
Would you be using a personally owned musket to get a accurate sound?
I don't personally own a musket.

Any hoo, I've been real busy lately and haven't had much to time work on the mod, and much of the time I did have I spent making something for Shadows in the Desert. I have, however, had some time to finish these uniforms up. So I present to you, the Russian Line Infantry! or some of it at least.

I wasn't going to show these quite yet, but I figured it's been awhile since I've had a big update so I may aswell.

In these screenshots you'll see both Musketeers and Grenadiers of the Russian Empire. Musketeers are the ones with a single pinecone on the shako, grenadiers have three pinecones. For these screenshots all the musketeers are in tunics and all the grenadiers greatcoats, but in the mod both will have a mix of the two.

russiangrenadier.jpg

russianinfantry6.jpg

russianinfantry1.jpg

russianinfantry2.jpg

russianinfantry5.jpg

russianinfantry7.jpg

russianinfantry3.jpg

russianinfantry4.jpg

russianmusket.jpg

And before anyone asks any of the questions I know someone will, I will answer them.

Where are the shako cords/knapsack cross strap/gaiter-trousers?
The mod starts in April 1809 and attempts to be accurate to that date. Shako cords and the knapsack strap hadn't been issued at this time, and the gaiters trousers were only worn from about June to September (i.e. summer). You're stuck with these weird built-in-boots-trousers.

Where are the swords?
Not made yet.

When's the mod out?
Go to hell.

Anyway, that's it for now, but I should have more to show soon enough.

Thanks.

Very Nice! I'm wondering if some of the crappy deformation at the elbows is because of the engine or topology? I love the detail on that russian uniform especially the dirt and scratches.

Looks stunning :neutral: Great work !
I`m wondering how greatcoats work? Script which automatically changes clothes when winter is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom