The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epicrules said:
It also leads to hearing some really stupid things in history class, and seeing as I intend to be a history teacher it sort of worries me.

For instance, I once was witness to this exchange:
Teacher: Who was Machiavelli?
Student: An assassin!
Don't worry, I now realize how inaccurate AC is. I still love playing though, and Unity looks like it will be pretty fun.

Rallix said:
I was just reading some of The Prince today. The guy may well have had a hand in assassinating people for all I know.
He was a good friend of Cesare Borgia.

I don't know much Italian history, but I suspect that it was generally wise to be a good friend of Cesare Borgia.

Ivan the Awesome said:
Rallix said:
I was just reading some of The Prince today. The guy may well have had a hand in assassinating people for all I know.
He was a good friend of Cesare Borgia.
I don't know much Italian history, but I suspect that it was generally wise to be a good friend of Cesare Borgia.
Indeed. But even to be his ally is simply to be a tool, perhaps. I read just today about how Borgia had hired a certain man to administrate a city for him. This man was very cruel, but the city was quickly set from chaos to order by his swift elimination of criminals and rebels.
However, the people soon hated him for how he cruelly treated them. Messer Borgia foresaw that the populace was likely to revolt soon. He thus had this cruel administrator which he had hired, executed in brutal fashion, and his body displayed in the town square for all to see. The populace's anger was replaced by shock, and the town remained loyal.

Thats really quite devious and brilliant. I like it. Docm, any chance we can do that in the game? :razz:

Seriously though, you get the best of both worlds. All the benefits of brutal repression, but the population still likes you!

Ivan the Awesome said:
Thats really quite devious and brilliant. I like it. Docm, any chance we can do that in the game? :razz:

Seriously though, you get the best of both worlds. All the benefits of brutal repression, but the population still likes you!

Having the crowd like you or fear you are entirely different things, nonetheless essential to running a government/empire. I forgot who said this, but it builds on what I said, "I do not care if they like me, so long as they fear me."

If anybody is interested in the 1812 russia campaign I can really recommend you this book
http://www.amazon.de/1812-Napoleons-Fatal-March-Moscow/dp/0007123744/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

GERRY said:
If anybody is interested in the 1812 russia campaign I can really recommend you this book
http://www.amazon.de/1812-Napoleons-Fatal-March-Moscow/dp/0007123744/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

i've read it. it is very good!

TheOrest007 said:
Speaking of War and Peace, what did u guys think of the 2007 miniseries, I thought it sucked to be honest but what do u guys think.
To be honest I liked it. But maybe that just goes to show what an uncultured swine I am. I havent seen the soviet one yet, though I plan to, so maybe thats why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom