Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vermillion_Hawk said:
When did these made-up words become acceptable for a game's title? By your logic, since it's not in the dictionary, it's bad, right?
What did I say about paying attention? I said "Bannerlord" is bad because it doesn't mean anything. The very fact that "Skyrim" is wordplay means it has meaning. But that's not enough in and of itself, "Mountain Blade" is also a kind of pun. But it's not related to what the game is about, it's random and therefore bad. Skyrim is Nordic-themed and its name is an anagram of the name of a giant from Norse mythology, so that's witty and good.
Seriously... :roll: You guys are always going "you're such an *******, Ringwraith, you're acting towards us as if we're a bunch of idiots". Well, this here's exactly why.

Kleidophoros said:
Warband is a play on words. A war band; people come together to do war. Warband.
Bannerlord is also a play on words. A lord who has a banner who intends to be the only one to be carrying one. Bannerlord.
You keep using that phrase. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Seeing he has dug a logical hole even he can't climb out of, Ringwraith retreats back to his cave, awaiting easier prey...
Spoke too soon, eh? Aren't you feeling stupid right about now? :lol:

Bgfan said:
Quit'cher *****in.
Make me. :razz:

Splintert said:
I'm utterly astonished there hasn't been a mod about a line of quests leading to some legendary sword on top of a mountain.
See, now that'd have been AWESOME. That totally needs to be in M&B2. And for god's sake don't explain the joke. Just drop it in, those smart enough to get it will get a laugh out of it, dumb people will at least get a sword.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Oh sorry, I was just being grammatically correct, carry on.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
When did these made-up words become acceptable for a game's title? By your logic, since it's not in the dictionary, it's bad, right?
What did I say about paying attention? I said "Bannerlord" is bad because it doesn't mean anything. The very fact that "Skyrim" is wordplay means it has meaning. But that's not enough in and of itself, "Mountain Blade" is also a kind of pun. But it's not related to what the game is about, it's random and therefore bad. Skyrim is Nordic-themed and its name is an anagram of the name of a giant from Norse mythology, so that's witty and good.
Seriously... :roll: You guys are always going "you're such an *******, Ringwraith, you're acting towards us as if we're a bunch of idiots". Well, this here's exactly why.
Mount&Blade not Mountain Blade.
Mount=Horse
Blade=Sword
People on horses poking each other with swords. Mount&Blade. It is related to the game, it is what the game is about and it is not random.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Kleidophoros said:
Warband is a play on words. A war band; people come together to do war. Warband.
Bannerlord is also a play on words. A lord who has a banner who intends to be the only one to be carrying one. Bannerlord.
You keep using that phrase. I don't think it means what you think it means.

It means whipped cream?

Ringwraith #5 said:
Most people's minds go to the other thing first..... In the case of M&B it's because "mountain" is much more common than "mount and", so when parsing the spoken words they hear the more likely of the two similar-sounding possibilities.

Also, technically it's not "Mount & Blade", it's "Mount&Blade". Which is just blatant disregard for the rules of English typography
A few things here: penisland is ambiguous in writing; Mount and Blade is only ambiguous for certain English dialects that make heavy use of glottal stops. It has nothing to do with anything being more common than anything else. Second, Mont&Blade is the logo, so typography doesn't count. Proof? Start up a new SP game and read the intro. But does it really matter? No one is being so dickish about say, Left4Dead.

Also, just because a word's anagram is a word in the dictionary doesn't give it any more legitimacy. Indeed, Warband is more legit of a word because it's a casual compound of two legit words (it's also slightly redundant, as one of the definitions of "band" is about a group of soldiers.

Lerber said:
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Oh sorry, I was just being grammatically correct, carry on.
Yeah, and I wager I'm the only one here who's read about that before today (though I don't pretend to remember what it actually means).

Kleidophoros said:
Mount&Blade not Mountain Blade.
Mount=Horse
Blade=Sword
People on horses poking each other with swords. Mount&Blade. It is related to the game, it is what the game is about and it is not random.
Ringwraith #5 said:
K-64 said:
Here's the thing, it's not called "Mountain Blade" It's called "Mount & Blade".
Yes, in the same way that penisland.net is about writing implements. Most people's minds go to the other thing first. In the case of penisland it's because most people are actually pervs. In the case of M&B it's because "mountain" is much more common than "mount and", so when parsing the spoken words they hear the more likely of the two similar-sounding possibilities.

It means whipped cream?
word·play/ˈwərdˌplā/
Noun:
The witty exploitation of the meanings and ambiguities of words, esp. in puns.
I'm sorry, but omitting a space between "war" and "band" to form "warband" does not qualify.

MadocComadrin said:
A few things here: penisland is ambiguous in writing; Mount and Blade is only ambiguous for certain English dialects that make heavy use of glottal stops. It has nothing to do with anything being more common than anything else.
Yes, it does have a lot to do with that. It doesn't have to be exactly homophonic. Our brains have an amazing ability to adjust sensory perception to conform to expectation. So even if the actual phonemes are different in your particular dialect, your brain will just assume that it misheard and feed your consciousness a 'corrected' version.

Second, Mont&Blade is the logo, so typography doesn't count. Proof? Start up a new SP game and read the intro. But does it really matter? No one is being so dickish about say, Left4Dead.
It's not just in the logo. Run the launcher and look at the first option. All you've proven here is that it's also inconsistent. But you're right, it doesn't really matter.

Also, just because a word's anagram is a word in the dictionary doesn't give it any more legitimacy. Indeed, Warband is more legit of a word because it's a casual compound of two legit words (it's also slightly redundant, as one of the definitions of "band" is about a group of soldiers.
Which is why I have the least issue with "warband".

I knew what it meant before posting it (though I did copy from wikipedia because damned if I know how many "buffalo" to actually include.

I assume you've also heard of John has has (more hases) something something.

It's Ringwraith, lord of the Anally-Retentive Banner. He is disputing the naming of the Taleworlds Kingdom's newest domain. Some may see civil war on the horizon. Everyone else clearly sees petty *****ing

Lerber said:
I assume you've also heard of John has has (more hases) something something.
I haven't, actually. And it's even more ridiculous than the buffalo thing. Wow, English is weird.

Argeus the Paladin said:
Pete's sake, how did we spend two pages on debating whether Bannerlord is grammatically correct or not?
Semantically. Grammar is about the structure of sentences and words, not their meaning.

K-64 said:
It's Ringwraith, lord of the Anally-Retentive Banner. He is disputing the naming of the Taleworlds Kingdom's newest domain. Some may see civil war on the horizon. Everyone else clearly sees petty *****ing
As I said earlier in response to the other ingrates who resorted to name-calling when they ran out of arguments, you're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom