Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ringwraith #5 said:
If they want someone to tell them exactly what's wrong with their game, especially from the point of view of polish and not annoying the **** out of the user, I'm their guy.
:grin:
I don't think the world is going to run out of people with balanced judgement and positive attitude that soon.

Sushiman said:
The **** are you smoking that warband isn't a "real word"?
And adding to Sushiman's point, warband is a very 'real' word. It was used to describe small bands of troops back in the early medieval ages, was it not?
No, it isn't a real word. If you disagree, feel free to provide a link to a dictionary definition. I'm sure Merriam-Webster, OED, or American Heritage will have one.

BadaBoomBadaBang said:
Meh, half the time you seem to be more destructive than constructive.
Well yeah. I said I'd tell them what's wrong with their game, not how to fix it. :lol:

Sushiman said:
Mount & Blade is a fine title, too. It  describes perfectly what the game excels at;  medieval combat.
Eh, medieval combat is what the game does, I'm not so sure that it excels at it. And I already made it clear why it's not a fine title, so I don't think I need to repeat myself.

Ringwraith #5 said:
No, it isn't a real word. If you disagree, feel free to provide a link to a dictionary definition. I'm sure Merriam-Webster, OED, or American Heritage will have one.

Who gives a ****-****-flying **** if it's a real word or not? It's the game's title, deal with it

Warband may not be a proper English word, it is used in legitimate documentation. I've seen references to it in at least four different books about British and European history. A quick search on Google shows links to more of said books with the word contained within. It may have originally been written as, "war-band" but due to the fact it transcended each separate word, was de-hyphenated and assumed to be ok.

K-64 said:
Who gives a ****-****-flying **** if it's a real word or not? It's the game's title, deal with it
The people trying to sell the game should give a **** most of all. You want your war game to have a badass name, not a silly or nonsensical one. "Mountain Blade" is undeniably silly (almost as much as "Almondia"), "Bannerlord" doesn't mean anything.

Lerber said:
Warband may not be a proper English word, it is used in legitimate documentation. I've seen references to it in at least four different books about British and European history. A quick search on Google shows links to more of said books with the word contained within. It may have originally been written as, "war-band" but due to the fact it transcended each separate word, was de-hyphenated and assumed to be ok.
I tried searching on Google, but after five or so pages of nothing but M&B links I gave up and turned to more appropriate tools instead. None of the online dictionaries recognizes the word, nor does my full edition of the OED. The British National Corpus turned up only five instances of it, three of which were in reference to tabletop gaming. Just so we're perfectly clear, the BNC contains 100 million words. That should give you an idea of the frequency with which "warband" is used in English outside of this forum. Five out of a hundred million is not enough to qualify as a real word, IMO.
"War-band" returned 0 results, so I don't think that hypothesis holds up.

Ringwraith #5 said:
K-64 said:
The people trying to sell the game should give a **** most of all. You want your war game to have a badass name, not a silly or nonsensical one.

It isn't nonsensical though, that's the thing. It accurately describes what you should expect from the game: Horses and swords with bands of people who may or may not be going to war

It doesn't matter if its a word or not.

It does matter if it sounds good, or makes sense. Bannerlord just sounds awkward, really doesn't give any hint to what the game is, or anything. It would be better to just stick with Mount&Blade 2, Mount&Blade II, or Mount&Blade++.

Skyrim's not a real word, crucify the Bethesda team. If you feel the title is lacking, do provide some sort of contribution to back up your comlaint and provide a compelling and dramatically gripping title.

Rallix said:
Hey guys, somebody thinks that the chick on the cover-art for Warband is wearing something other than a coat of plates.
Warbands%20cover.jpg
I posted it here, because making a thread about it seems dumb, but I wish to prove a point.
So, Studded Leather, or Coat of Plates?
It's a coat of studded boiled leather. I win.

Sushiman said:
Who gives a flying **** if it's in a dictionary. If words can't exist before they're in dicitonaries, then no new words would ever happen, ergo, you are a tosspot.
Really, that's how you react to being proven wrong and educated? With insults? You learned something today, I did you a ****ing favor. The proper response to that is "thank you".

K-64 said:
It isn't nonsensical though, that's the thing. It accurately describes what you should expect from the game: Horses and swords with bands of people who may or may not be going to war
Ringwraith #5 said:
"Mountain Blade" is undeniably silly (almost as much as "Almondia"), "Bannerlord" doesn't mean anything.
Stringing those together creates what TV Tropes calls a word salad title.

Splintert said:
It does matter if it sounds good, or makes sense. Bannerlord just sounds awkward, really doesn't give any hint to what the game is, or anything. It would be better to just stick with Mount&Blade 2, Mount&Blade II, or Mount&Blade++.
Yeah, I agree. What was so wrong with just putting a number after the title?

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Skyrim's not a real word, crucify the Bethesda team. If you feel the title is lacking, do provide some sort of contribution to back up your comlaint and provide a compelling and dramatically gripping title.
Actually "Skyrim" is an anagram of "Skrymir", a giant in Norse mythology. See? You learned something today too. :grin:

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Ringwraith #5 said:
Actually "Skyrim" is an anagram of "Skrymir", a giant in Norse mythology. See? You learned something today too. :grin:

I'm not seeing it in Merriam-Webster, the Oxford English Dictionary OR American Heritage, so it must be bad.

Random House Dictionary has it. :wink:
You're welcome, btw.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
Ringwraith #5 said:

I'm not seeing it in Merriam-Webster, the Oxford English Dictionary OR American Heritage, so it must be bad.

Random House Dictionary has it. :wink:
You're welcome, btw.

Couldn't find it.

Urban Dictionary has Warband. You're welcome.

K-64 said:
Here's the thing, it's not called "Mountain Blade" It's called "Mount & Blade".
Yes, in the same way that penisland.net is about writing implements. Most people's minds go to the other thing first. In the case of penisland it's because most people are actually pervs. In the case of M&B it's because "mountain" is much more common than "mount and", so when parsing the spoken words they hear the more likely of the two similar-sounding possibilities.
Also, technically it's not "Mount & Blade", it's "Mount&Blade". Which is just blatant disregard for the rules of English typography.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Couldn't find it.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skrymir
You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom