SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Which do you prefer?

• The books

Votes: 888 51.2%
  • The show

Votes: 847 48.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

is it just me or is there no faction diplomacy changes its been the same wars with the same people E.g north against iron islands, never no peace or new wars emerging and even though the north are at war they never siege anywhere the marshall just gathers a load of vassals then just stops and everyone goes back to there castles and towns etc
is it suppose to be like that or not?

Rustic said:
is it just me or is there no faction diplomacy changes its been the same wars with the same people E.g north against iron islands, never no peace or new wars emerging, is it meant to be like that or not?

At this stage of the mod the diplomacy as well as the lords' loyalty stays is scripted to stay the same the whole time. Pretty tough since you e.g. have to recruit your own companions as lords. Also the Reach is pretty much always taking over King's Landing with not much offense (Dragonstone just has way too many enemies/too few lords).
But that's why this mod is in the beta stage, some things still have to get figured out...

Agrippa91 said:
Kevwar said:
Will someone please answer my simple question I posted some hours ago?

Chill down, this is not a chat but a forum  :wink:
It is the same on my side, I guess this is intentional by Cozur for this version. I'm pretty sure it's not the final Unsullied Gear but since there's not really an appropriate armor yet we'll have to wait. Modeling takes time and I'm sure the Modders here will do a good job as always  :grin:

Thanks for answering. I didn't quite mean I want the final Unsullied gear that's all black 'n awesome, but equipping them with my heraldic armor would be very nice since they are like glass  cannons right now. Do you perhaps know in which version I CAN equip my unsullied?
PS: I love your avatar!

Kevwar said:
Thanks for answering. I didn't quite mean I want the final Unsullied gear that's all black 'n awesome, but equipping them with my heraldic armor would be very nice since they are like glass cannons right now. Do you perhaps know in which version I CAN equip my unsullied?
PS: I love your avatar!

I played 0.91 before this version and I could customize, but propably you can customize the gear in 0.93, too. Perhaps in the Changelog smth. like that is mentioned. The best "armor" you could give them there was a +22 leather armor  :wink:
Personally I reeeally like the concept of the glass cannon Unsullied. They seem to be able to defeat knights when both are on foot, but you really have to care about their positioning and eventually distract the enemy's archers, e.g. with cavalry.

Kevwar said:
I played 0.91 before this version and I could customize, but propably you can customize the gear in 0.93, too. Perhaps in the Changelog smth. like that is mentioned. The best "armor" you could give them there was a +22 leather armor  :wink:
Personally I reeeally like the concept of the glass cannon Unsullied. They seem to be able to defeat knights when both are on foot, but you really have to care about their positioning and eventually distract the enemy's archers, e.g. with cavalry.

How come you could only give them +22 armor? They got enough strenght for the +60 thing I think. Oh and about this distracting thing: how exactly would you do it? I mean I can just give commands to the cavalry to charge but they usually just run into spears and other cavalry. Also, can you tell me what each of these do: "Take the field" "Charge the enemy"(I suppose that's the normal battle mode) "Lead your troops into assault" . What's the difference between all these? Fights seem rather hard in this mode, but I think it's mainly because I have no idea how to micromanage men in battles in Mount and Blade, I usually just charge them in. Any tips for me?

"Take the field" -> all units are on hold position on start (thats what i always use to start a battle)
"charge the enemy" -> all units automatically charge after start (vanilla behaviour)

There's also another point that lets you automatically define orders like archers, ten feet backwards etc. and execute them after start, but I do that all ingame. Generally, at the start of a battle you should get your archers on high ground, the infantry in front of them and have your cavalry on a flanking position. If the enemy has alot of cavalry, make your infantry stand close, this way they can slaughter them easily when they charge.

You can also use the ingame map (backspace) and order your units around there. Always use the terrain to your advantage, e.g. if the enemy has a lot of archers, make all your units hold position close to the ridge of a hill where they can't get shot, your archers abit behind so they can fire when the enemy comes.

If the enemy doesn't come to you, you can try to startle him by killing a soldier of them by your own or getting close, this will mostly let them come after you and you can lead them back to your army.

The unsullied only get a pre-defined armor pool, so you can't add own armor you bought. But even with having a lower armor the unsullied are pretty awesome, in my battles they kill alot of soldiers (I used them in 0.92 - could customize them there, didn't try them out in 0.93 yet).

They're totally worth their money and better armor would make them ubersoldiers.

@Agrippa91
Thanks, didn't think of that stop besieging and restart siege trick, will try that out  :smile: .

bla212 said:
"Take the field" -> all units are on hold position on start (thats what i always use to start a battle)
"charge the enemy" -> all units automatically charge after start (vanilla behaviour)

There's also another point that lets you automatically define orders like archers, ten feet backwards etc. and execute them after start, but I do that all ingame. Generally, at the start of a battle you should get your archers on high ground, the infantry in front of them and have your cavalry on a flanking position. If the enemy has alot of cavalry, make your infantry stand close, this way they can slaughter them easily when they charge.

You can also use the ingame map (backspace) and order your units around there. Always use the terrain to your advantage, e.g. if the enemy has a lot of archers, make all your units hold position close to the ridge of a hill where they can't get shot, your archers abit behind so they can fire when the enemy comes.

If the enemy doesn't come to you, you can try to startle him by killing a soldier of them by your own or getting close, this will mostly let them come after you and you can lead them back to your army.

The unsullied only get a pre-defined armor pool, so you can't add own armor you bought. But even with having a lower armor the unsullied are pretty awesome, in my battles they kill alot of soldiers (I used them in 0.92 - could customize them there, didn't try them out in 0.93 yet).

They're totally worth their money and better armor would make them ubersoldiers.

@Agrippa91
Thanks, didn't think of that stop besieging and restart siege trick, will try that out  :smile: .

Thank you so so much!

Kevwar said:
Kevwar said:

How come you could only give them +22 armor? They got enough strenght for the +60 thing I think. Oh and about this distracting thing: how exactly would you do it? I mean I can just give commands to the cavalry to charge but they usually just run into spears and other cavalry. Also, can you tell me what each of these do: "Take the field" "Charge the enemy"(I suppose that's the normal battle mode) "Lead your troops into assault" . What's the difference between all these? Fights seem rather hard in this mode, but I think it's mainly because I have no idea how to micromanage men in battles in Mount and Blade, I usually just charge them in. Any tips for me?

Well, the thing is that Unsullied are no noble knights but slaves. They have very basic weapons (as in "A Song of Ice and Fire" and the HBO series), so their strenght is their own. They're outstanding soldiers, yes, but they're not nobles but raised killing machines. At the end of the day the slave owners don't care if they die as long as they got their profit. And providing each slave with an expensive armor isn't worth the investment.

A short overview of battle tactics:
Generally speaking it really depends on the army you're facing. I'm speaking of those I've experienced so far:

Spear infantry along the whole infantry tier assisted by archers (Westerland: Billmen and Longbowmen; the Reach: Pikemen and Crossbowmen; Lorath: Glaivemen and Archers )
Cavalry is still viable, but only heavy one (at least men-at-arms or lancers) and also only if you catch the enemy out of formation, you outnumber them or they're already engaged (you flank them).
The big disadvantage spear troops have are their lack of shields. It makes them an easy target for your archers, so you might consider bringing good archers like Dragonstone or Stormland Longbowmen. Positioning those on a hill gives them a wider range, lets them shoot over troops and makes them less susceptible against enemy attacks since cavalry e.g. can't charge uphill.

Infantry with shields alongside Archers with heavy cavalry support (Stormlands, Dragonstone, TheNewFaction)
A pretty well-rounded package, archers do very often very little because they fire at the enemy's shields and get overrun by their cavalry. I've found it most effective to just overrun them with a lot of heavy cavalry. They have some Spearmen/Glaivemen, but only some at specific troop tiers, so it's mostly negligible. The main trick is to spread out your heavy cavalry as far as possible over their whole front and then charge before the enemy does so. I've found it most important to lay a light emphasis on your left flank since the enemy's force is always strongest there (Western lords also always have their own heavy cavalry there while having Levies on your far right).

Only Archers/Crossbowmen (so far only experienced from Braavos)
A very annoying style that goes along with the AI always camping at their starting position.
A charge with heavy Cavalry along the whole front would probably be the best thing here. I've had success with Unsullied and few heavy cavalry, too. Important is to let your infantry keep formation as long as possible while either distracting them with your cavalry or just staying behind hills as long as possible. Archers on my own work, too, but most often result in heavy casualties (though archers are generally speaking good against crossbowmen since they reload faster).

Mounted Archers and (heavy) cavalry (Dothraki, Raiders with a lot of Freelancers/Raiders Horsemen)
The classic Khergit Khanate style you propably know: The enemy relies on a heavy charge before you can really arrange your troops. Since especially the mounted archers can be really annoying I've had most success with a lot of cavalry of my own to hunt down the enemy. The important thing is to form your cavalry in a line as soon as the battle starts, possibly get in a high ground position and then charge the enemy, resulting in you getting the better edge because you get a concave with your cavalry (getting more charge kills) and because the AI is stupid enough to let its horse archers stay in this flock so they get butchered by your cavalry.
Another tactic is getting a lot of Spearmen (with shields) like the classic Rhodoks alongside a good number of archers/crossbowmen. It's important to buffer the enemy cavalry's charge at the start with your spearmen so they can't get through to your archers. Personally I haven't tried this tactic very often, I imagine it gets kinda difficult to hunt down all these mounted archers, perhaps a small cavalry contingent of your own which you keep back until the biggest slaughter has passed.

About the unit control:
In general you pretty much want a line of infantry and behind thema line of archers. When your cavalry outnumbers the enemy's, you probably want them on your left to face the enemy's cavalry, otherwise you really should have some spearmen. If you have cavalry archers you want them at your right flank. They shoot at their right side, also they don't have to fear enemy cavalry on that side.

You control your units with the number pad (1=infantry, 2=archers (+crossbowmen), 3=cavalry; I have cavalry archers on 4 and companions that suck at fighting at 5 so I can put them away from the fight because Surgery is one of the most important skills imo).
When you click a number, it shows the F1-F9 symbols you can order your troops with.

The propably most important command is F1-F1 since it orders your troops where you want them. Note that when you hold the second F1 down it creates a flag you can put anywhere in sight by releasing the F1 key and the selected unit will go there. This is really important because you don't have to be at the position you want your troops to be!
F1-F3 lets your units charge. While this is really important for infantry and cavalry (with archers you more want a better position) when you charge too quickly your soldiers loose formation and very often charge in a row rather than a line resulting in them getting butchered one at a time once they reach the enemy infantry line. Order you infantry/cavalry with the F1-F1 flag around 10-20m away from the enemy and let them charge to get a full impact charge upon the enemy line.

You can also lead a cavalry charge by yourself. This can be very useful since you can maneuver your cavalry very well with the F1-F2 ("follow me") commando: You cavalry now simply follows you in a line. When you pass the enemy on a flank and ride along their back your cavalry lines up perfectly and you can hit F1-F3 ("charge") to hit the enemy from behind once he's engaged at the front. 

Very often I find it also very important to let your infantry and cavalry stand closer (F2-F4, works multiple times), otherwise single units from your side might find themselves facing multiple enemies at once. This is probably most important to adjust your line on the enemy's, but also lets you create a pressure point on the enemy's line (most often on your left side since that's where the enemy's elite troops are).
When you go for a full-frontal cavalry attack (e.g. against Braavos' archer army) look that your cavalry is spread over the entire enemy line. First let them run ~20m in front of the enemy, then order "charge", otherwise the cavalry clumps up very often and you don't get the best possible charge.

The classic tactic on a wide field is to position your archers on a possible elevation and line your infantry alongside the enemy and charge. When you have a heavy cavalry contingent you can either fight the enemy's elite troops on the left flank or let them go around and charge in from behind, at best just after your infantry engaged from the front.

On tight maps where outflanking with cavalry is not possible due to collision (trees etc.) it's very often really effective to weaken the enemy with a frontal cavalry charge, then close in with your infantry behind when the enemy line is disorganized. With this tactic timing is everything since your heavy cavalry very often finds itself outnumbered after the initial charge. In order to get all your cavalry to close in at the same time it's important that it doesn't get stuck in your own standing infantry, so you have to have your infantry on the run when your cavalry comes from behind and passes them (when the infantry is about 20-30m away from closing in at the enemy line)

Not that this mod adds "troop formation". I only use two modes there:
"shield wall" for infantry (you have to position you infantry again after the initial command since it just screws around afterwards):
Really good against Dothraki (be quick!) or if you have to defend a choke point (e.g. in a court yard).
"form wedge" for cavalry (you have to reorder their position just as above):
Sometimes you don't have enough room for your cavalry to maneuver. This command lets you strike weak point, but also gets your cavalry through a tight spot behind the enemy for an afterward brutal charge in their back.

You can btw choose where to engage your enemy: Before any engagements have happend you can "retreat" with the TAB-key and "charge the enemy" again, this time on a different map. This doesn't cost you any moral or troop losses.

Last but not least a siege tactic I have the feeling very few people actually realize exists:
When you don't fear enemies coming to break your siege, you can simply shoot them out: Just get as many archers as possible and put them at the top of your troop tree. When you now lead your soldiers in the assault just hit 0-F1-F2("Everyone, follow me") to prevent any soldiers from running into a meat grinder and line up your archers in a good position where they can shoot the enemy on the wall. You can form infantry and cavalry at the front, they do a decent job catching arrows with their shields.
Once your archers run out of ammo (they draw their swords and their quivers are empty) just head to the edge of the map until it shows "retreat" and press the F key. This results in a retreat without the AI calculating troop and morale losses like when you just TAB out. Of course only works when you're still alive at the end :wink:
This tactic especially works against enemies with no-shield infantry that normally slaughter any infantry that tries to get up the ladders, even Knights and Unsullied.

So... any questions?  :mrgreen:

Been awhile since I dusted off Warband but recently caught a Youtuber showing off this mod so I decided to install it and try it out.

Couple things stand out for me after installing 0.93 and the 0.93 patch.

I can't tell who the hell is who in tournaments, points don't report and while there seem to be "teams" based on the gear they're wearing I never know which team I'm on til I figure out if the kettle hats or flatop helms are trying to take me down....slight problem as that goes, whats more at least one of my companions is always in the tournament and I never know if they're on my side until they try to bash my brains in with the two handed mace I bought them.

Multiple RGL error messages on first load of a tournament, not sure why, don't seem to have affected the game too much so I've just kept rolling with it.

Militarily Tywin Lannister and various Westerman lords seem nearly incompetent. Renly usually takes King's Landing within two weeks of game start as hes fielding a rather huge host. Given as he can't be killed and Stannis fields less men, Renly becomes something of a large military problem early on in the game and its not a problem the Western lords seem to be able to deal with and Renly and the Storm Lords appear to be able to fight off Dragonstone and the Lannisters without too much problem. Whereas Robb Stark, while at war with the Lannisters, rarely seems to make his way south and most of the war with the Lannisters seems to be fought in the Riverlands (which is pretty much accurate) but there never seems to be an alliance between the Riverlands and The North to push into the South.

Also the old man barkeep in the taverns wearing a dress seems quite common around various parts of Westeros, and even worse is the female bartenders that..for some reason, have no clothes at all.

Other than these few concerns, I really like and enjoy the mod. Thank you for putting the time into it.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but in 0.92 and 0.93 theredon´t seem to be any farmers traveling between villages and towns. As a result all villages lose prosperity. Is this supposed to be this way, or is there something wrong with my game?

vonWeirdo said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but in 0.92 and 0.93 theredon´t seem to be any farmers traveling between villages and towns. As a result all villages lose prosperity. Is this supposed to be this way, or is there something wrong with my game?

Now you're mentioning it: I have the very same problem. First I thought it was only Lorath, but it's actually every city  :sad:
Oh well, at least the renting of the acres works fine and gives a lot of money :wink:
The lack of farmers perhaps also explains why every  productive enterprise (except for velvet) has a negative income...

That farmer bug always kept me from playing this great mod. I thought it would be fixed in 0.93. Without a working economy it doesn´t make much sense to me, or am i overestimating the importance of the economy in this game (which i don´t fully understand to say the truth).

Anyway, does anyone know if this could be fixed somehow? It seems important to me

Well, it wasn't there in 0.91, that much I can tell. Must've sneaked in 0.92 then.
It's actually more of an atmospheric thing tbh, you can make enough money by having velvet fabrics all over the world and especially getting rents from acres in towns (10% each 2 weeks, but the prices rise from time to time). But I guess it keeps lords from having bigger armies than normal? Though I haven't recognized any big changes. Perhaps because villages still have a normal prosperity.

Speaking of lords: In this mod you can now manage their skilling. Since so far you can only have companions as lords I wanted to ask which skills actually have an influence on the lord.
Because back when I was playing as a Marshal for the one true king of the new faction I had the bug that all the lords' troops of this faction only recruited crap troops. But "trainer" up to 7 didn't change any of this.
Is it really just the weapon skills that count when upgrading companions and lords? Is it possible that my companions have so few units (only around 70-80) because they don't have enough charisma and leadership?

Agrippa91 said:
Perhaps because villages still have a normal prosperity.

But that´s not the case. Prosperity of Villages drops constantly and there´s no way to get it up again. I know there are other ways to get enough money, but it does bother me that the economy doesn´t work at all.

Or is that on purpose for some reason? Because if it´s just a bug i can´t see how Cozur could miss it, since he seems to know very well what he´s doing

Seems like normal foods that can sustain an army have no morale bonuses...sausages and cheese for example...have no benefit whatsoever...the army is fine with smoked beef and beef and chicken and pork and cabbage and bread but other foods are just zero bonus.

And yeah I haven't seen a farmer anywhere and all the cities do steadily lose prosperity. There are trade caravans but they're very sparse and few and far in between and not nearly enough to maintain any kind of prosperity whatsoever.

I am also seeing a lot of error on opcode messages when courtship attempts occur (not my own) and when I question a lord about the location of another lord.

semipr0 said:
Seems like normal foods that can sustain an army have no morale bonuses...sausages and cheese for example...have no benefit whatsoever...the army is fine with smoked beef and beef and chicken and pork and cabbage and bread but other foods are just zero bonus.

But do the items that dont have bonuses still count as foods? I havent bought any and I'm having real difficulty finding working items for food.

And yeah I haven't seen a farmer anywhere and all the cities do steadily lose prosperity. There are trade caravans but they're very sparse and few and far in between and not nearly enough to maintain any kind of prosperity whatsoever.

Never seen any farmers either. One thing that really strikes me as odd is that I have seen 0 westerlands caravans. My character has spotting 6+2 and I've spend majority of my 100 days in westerlands territory.

Also this is still a problem:
Anyone know how to turn the following features on:
Archers auto-assing to infantry when they run out of arrows,
Dehorsed cavalry assigned to infantry and
When player gets knocked out charge order for all troops?

They don't seem to count as food, no. Morale goes completely into the crapper unless you have a food that gives a morale bonus so its like they're not eating at all.

The AI is still pretty much standard WB AI though, the North starts at war with the Iron Islands and the Westerlands...and of course since the Iron Islands are closer....the Marshal continuously picks Iron Island targets, whats more because of the immense distances between the North and anything south of the Riverlands....half the time by the time your war host gets to a target at least 40% of the assembled lords will have left due to having other concerns.

The King of the North seems to spend most of his time riding in a circle around Winterfell and only occasionally goes on campaign when the marshal calls a campaign but he rarely makes it to the target keep before the fight is over due to how slow he is.

Troop trees are insanely weird. Its like some of the kingdoms have a T8 troop and some do not and some stop at T6. There is no reasonable documentation on troop trees so without actually cracking open the troop trees.

Maron is apparently supposed to be female? She/he has a beard in my game...at least til I put a kettle hat on them..then their entire face changes.

Food bug is annoying, no farmers is worse, but sitting in a warhost thats literally trotting down the Kingsroad taking a month to get to a point where they can "take ship" when they could have easily taken ship off the coast of Barrowton and been there in a few days is just inane.

Theres also very little politics here, the AI isn't smart enough to make alliances it seems. It just seems naturally happy to be at war with its assigned factions. The Reach actually attacked Kings Landing and took it from Stannis, who'd just taken it from the Lannisters, who'd recently taken it back from Renly...though for some reason the Reach never allies with the Stormlands. The Riverlands never ally with the North...its just everyone for themselves and its like the Diplomacy functions of the mod are simply there for the player.

Also why is Gregor Clegane's personality set to reasonable? I actually chased him down just to see what he looked like (nothing special) and he was actually courteous to me....I mean..seriously, Gregor Clegane?

Don't get me wrong here I don't mean to run down what is obviously a work of great detail but seriously I'm having trouble enjoying this other than the fact that its ASOIAF related but its literally only barely related.

Heres my list of gripes. I realize the work is free and all so I don't expect the author to do much other than what they already planned to do...but this is the stuff I'd like answers to or fixes for if I had my druthers.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Make the AI actually utilize its diplomatic options. No one in Westeros is attempting make alliances against each other or even trying to sue for peace even though the war reports from lords will say that they would like to.
[*]Fix the farmer situation....caravans aren't enough to maintain persistant prosperity, cities tend to never increase their available sales items quality after the first month of the game literally within 3 months all trading cities come to a complete halt as far as trade growth is concerned.
[*]Tell me where all these new items are because my options seem to be would you like an Arming Sword or a Great Sword m'lord? Oh you don't prefer either, here, have a lumpy piece of metal on a stick..its called a mace.
[*]Fix the food situation....there are tons of food related items that have no functional use to a traveling army. I'm getting tired of slaughtering cows and having the meat go bad in 2 days and sometimes thats the only food available (especially when the city prosperity really takes a dive.)
[*]If Maron is supposed to be female, please fix that. She looks like a 50 year old man
[*]Figure out why so many female tavern keeps have male names and some have no clothes and so many male tavern keeps are wearing dresses
[*]Why is Valdym the Bastard a claimant to The North? Why is he related to the Starks at all? Is he supposed to be Jon Snow or is this a relation claimant that wasn't removed from the base King unit that was used to create Robb Stark?
[*]Why are tournaments such a mess? The tourney mod in use was quite good, but none of its functions actually mean anything in ACOK 93
[/list]

Gonna go back to playing AGOT on CK2 for awhile. This really was interesting until the new wore off and I realized its not really a full featured TC, its just a functional TC that has inserted a pretty good map of Westeros and the western edge of Essos, and just barely hooked itself into the functionality that was already present in WB and a few great mods that came before this one.

So again, not slamming the mod or the author but this thing needs a lot more time in the oven.

semipr0 said:
So again, not slamming the mod or the author but this thing needs a lot more time in the oven.

Yes, it seems so. What i don´t get is that every new version of this mod is less playable. 0.91 works fine, farmers everywhere, caravans didn´t get stuck.
0.92- no farmers at all, caravans got stuck at tyrosh, no economy
0.93- same but caravans seem to work. Also this version has a lot of other bugs tat werent there before. Also i can´t see the kingdom relations or my relations to other lords

Back
Top Bottom